Aristocrat issue

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dansco, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Was going to start this one as a private conversation but no couldn't decide who to ask...

The aristocrat I bought has arrived but there is a fairly big difference in the doors when they are closed. One side definitely isn't closing properly.

The blade gap on one side is larger at one end than the other (as in it is not even all the way along).

Has anyone come across this before and what can I do? The (very nice) seller has agreed if I wish to return it I can.

20171031_181632-2241x3984.jpg 20171031_181635-2241x3984.jpg 20171031_181831_crop_744x827.jpg

2. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Looks like it is top alignment issue and the lower side needs to be raised. IIRC the low arm can simply be gently twisted until all line up.

3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Ok... How can I do that and is there a risk to It? I've never mucked around with one of these before.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yep. This part needs to be gently nudged in the direction of the arrows.

upload_2017-10-31_17-39-29.png

PLANofMAN, RyX and Primotenore like this.
  5. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Thanks! Easiest way to do It?

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I saw that razor sold on ebay like a week a go and I passed on it because it went south $100 mark correct? To be honest bending brass is not as easy as you think specially the bottom plate. I tried once bending Schick adjustable and realized quick that bending brass is not easy but if you heat it up should make life easier. My best guess would be to send it to repair guy and I believe we have more than few here on the shaving forums or return it and get your money back.

I bought Aristocrat with safety bar US made 2 weeks a go and I got it for $33 shipped, was just a curiosity buy because people rave about how good all Aristocrats are performance wise, well I'm a true believer now it shaves like a dream and puts all my Gillette Adjustable razors to shame, cant tell why is so special but it has just the right weight, length, aggressiveness, very smooth and even though not all the plating is intact it still looks very appealing, you can tell Gillette took pride in designing and producing the Aristocrat lines. I'm just waiting on to land on a Aristocrat OC for a decent price and will be sending both for Rhodium plating, thankfully not all peeps that plate charge $120-$200 for rhodium plating.... Cant wait to get my hand on Aristocrat OC....

7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Yeah I was leaning towards returning because I don't feel like i know how to solve it. Last thing I want is to damage it and not be able to return it.

It didn't actually sell on ebay - lovely seller had a chat and agreed a price once the auction had finished.

RyX likes this.
  8. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Im sure you paid via paypal so you should be fine, if he was cool enough to do business that way im sure he will have no problem refunding you

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

It's actually very easy to do. Take a smooth jawed crescent wrench and tighten it down on both of those arms and then slowly apply pressure in the direction Jim @Jayaruh stated. Go slow and check it often. I've done this with several Gillette TTOs and they turned out perfect.

entropy1049, PLANofMAN, RyX and 3 others like this.
  10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Yeah he's already said he would do if I decided I didn't want to try to fix it. Nice guy.

11. jar

jar Well-Known Member

It's really not that hard.

Use a wrench that fits as closely as possible across both sides and top to bottom. Go slow. I would initially just look at the cap tops and line them up. Then check gap and small changes until it's even.

Dansco and Linuxguile like this.
  12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

You could always send it to Razor Emporium for a tune up. I think around $35 and you’re golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Wrap the wrench ends with tape to protect the plating if you are worried about that sort of thing.

Wouldn't want to damage a nice chrome plated wrench, would we? ;)