Deodorants don't work, suggestions please

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Demidog, Nov 19, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Nope. But it won't smell, other than smell like sweat.

Meant to type 91% alcohol before, too.

2. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Strangely enough, when I tried the Brut stick deodorant several years ago it did help prevent bad odour but the scent changed completely on me. It didn't smell at all like Brut and I didn't like what I was smelling. My wife didn't complain but I wasn't satisfied.

Demidog likes this.
  3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

This works great!

L3533064.jpg

BamaT, BigD, Yehuda D and 2 others like this.
  4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have not used drugstore deodorant or anti-perspirant for many years now. I tried every kind known to humankind and everyone of them burned my armpits like it was battery acid.
    I do the following: I shower, wash with any soap, dry my underarms really well, spray on some pure Wich Hazel, rub on Crystal Body Deodorant as in the post above. Zero irritation, zero scent.

brit and Demidog like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I use Pinaud talcum powder, due to sensitive skin. :D

brit, 178-bplatoon and Demidog like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

As for choice #2, if you like Mennen deodorant products, try Gear Speed Stick. It's an antiperspirant/deodorant.

Demidog likes this.
  7. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I find Mitchum and Arrid clear gel antiperspirants work best for me. Years ago Mitchum used to make an antibacterial antiperspirant that was the best I’ve ever used in my life. No idea why they stopped making it. Maybe it had triclosan in it or something?
    One thing though that helps cut down stink is to trim your armpit hair really short. It give the bacteria less breeding ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brit, Demidog and Tdmsu like this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

+1. Plus deo/antipersp needs to contact skin to be effective. If the "forest" is too dense, this can't happen.

Demidog likes this.
  9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I have an unusual suggestion. Shave your pits. It will make it less smelly and it will feel cooler.
    Also, try Tabac deodorant. It can be had from Amazon for $7.50 shipped. Works great for me, does not burn my skin.
    I've tried many of the ones you mentioned with mixed results.

Bookworm and Demidog like this.
  10. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Crystal sounds really interesting after reading about it a bit more. I've never seen it or noticed it in stores but I will look for it next time I'm out. Lots of good suggestions in this thread - I will also consider Tabac, talc, and anti-antiperspirants.

Very true. I wouldn't admit this sort of thing in person but I keep my underarms trimmed for practical reasons. The problem is that underarm maintenance can be extremely painful due to the lasting effects of the Old Spice. It feels like that deodorant is giving me a chemical burn under my arms so when I go to trim the hair there, it isn't a very pleasant experience. It needs to be done though in order to keep the stench and perspiration down.

11. richgem

Benedryl cream will help with the Pits o' Fire. It's an allergic reaction. Normally, I'd suggest cortizone cream, but it doesn't work for me with this particular problem. And if that doesn't work, see a dermatologist for something stronger.

Tdmsu likes this.
  12. gregcss

gregcss Member

Wholly Kaw recently came out with a deodorant. I've been using it for a couple weeks and it seems to be pretty good. It is a pump spray and not a bar. It's a bit pricey but I think it will last a long time. They are having a sale through Monday using code THANKSGIVING https://whollykaw.com/product-category/men/deodorant/

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. richgem

Deodorants don't work, suggestions please

Stay far away from other people? :scared001:

brit and Yehuda D like this.
  14. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

MoM deoderant from Peoples Pharmacy online. It is milk of magnesium. It keeps the bacteria at bay. No irritation at all. You could just get Milk of Magnesium and apply as well.

brit and Yehuda D like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Is that the same Peoples as what used to be chain in the DC area?

16. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I think it's been mentionned but I use a Razorock alum stick for my armpits. It won't prevent sweating (which wasn't what I was trying to achieve) but does a good job of keeping the odors to a minimum.

Yehuda D likes this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I gave up stick type and spray deodorant/anti perspirant many years ago, long before I discovered "traditional" shaving and the wonderful place. I was getting like a big pimple in my under arm and it was very painful. It wouldn't drain, I even browbeat the Dr. to cut it open and it was empty. It would last for a while , then go away only to reappear again and start the painful process over again. So I started using shower to shower body powder or a store generic. The problem went away and has never come back. :happy088:The powder control both the sweat and the stink.
    Recently I've begun to shave my armpits also, not regularly but on occasion. I even have a dedicated razor for the job. It's a Hibco 2 piece DE that has been modified to work kind of like a Rocnel SE, with a snapped in half DE blade, that I got in a PIF from @billdog2, thanks again billdog, I use it on my pits and to trim my van dyke. It works wonderfully!!:)

18. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I got tired of using deodorant that always stained my undershirts and eventually my dress shirts. I switched to an Alum block about 4 months ago and could not be happier. No more stains and no odor (including heavy perfumes). I will never go back to deodorant again.

19. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

You can make your own scented powders and use them;
    Buy the gold bond type generic.saturate some(8-10) cotton balls in the type of cologne/aftershave you wish to smell like.place the cotton balls in the powder container twist it shut and shake it up.leave it on the counter or shelf and shake it up whenver you walk by.In a few weeks the powder should take on the scent you desire.
    For a spice type add ground cinnamon ,allspice berries and whole cloves to the powder and shake just like the other type.some folks may be sensitive to the spices in this one.I like to add a bit of sandalwood powder to this type.
    good luck

178-bplatoon likes this.
  20. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Speik has a deodorant, might be worth a try...

I’d try drying your pits with hair dryer, and pretreating with witch hazel, let it sit a minute or two and then hairdryer again. Dose the bottle of witch hazel with tea tree oil and shake before use for added benefit. If that fails, consider a thieves oil soap?

I use brut spray, and works well for me. Sometimes I’ll do the witch hazel pretreat.