Modern Thiers Issard Question

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Spyder, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Dang! Sorry about that Scott ol boy! I surly did miss the NOS fer sure. Of course it usually takes a bit to penetrate the thick skull of a hard headed ol Dutchman :D

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

No biggie, I'm use to being ignored. My wife and kids do it all the time. :lam:

JazzDoc, Keithmax, gssixgun and 2 others like this.
  3. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

I have four razors I bought new. Two Dovos, a Hart Steel, and a Thiers Issard Wolf & Sheep. Straight out of the box, the Thiers Issard was by far the best, so good I decided not to hone it because I doubted that I would be able to improve it, and might actually make it worse. In comparison, the Dovos gave a pretty rough shave straight out of the box but I've gotten them quite nice after honing. The Hart Steel seems to want to hurt me no matter how much love I give it.

Keithmax, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I bought Keithmax's T.I.. I have 3 or 4 T.I.'s spanning from vintage to modern. I like them, I like the carbon song steel, I like the vintage steel too.
    Keith's old razor: IMO, one of my best shaving razors. I did rescale it.
    [​IMG]
    vintage:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Keithmax, gssixgun, JazzDoc and 3 others like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I really like that thumb notch! Thanks for sharing!

JazzDoc and Billyfergie like this.
  6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

If your thinking French keep an eye open for Grelot's too. New could be tough on the Grelot though.
    [​IMG]

7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Showing & Telling Frenchies Eh !..I have had a Number of them..I Have these 2 in My Current Rotation..These are Both Keepers..:D

Billy..:chores016:

8. JazzDoc

JazzDoc Well-Known Member

2E95E1C2-05A4-4AD0-BEC2-B8CCE5142B7B.jpeg I own one TI and I love it! I bought it for Thiers-Issard’s reputation but also the aesthetic appeal of it was irresistable to me.
    It is one of my best, most handleable razors. It has the feel of quality all over it and it hones wonderfully. I like to refresh it on my LV coticule. That smoothness can’t be beat!

Keithmax, gssixgun, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Well gentlemen I’ve compromised on my initial plan. I was thinking about a new TI, or a used modern one. People are paying huge (to me) $$ for them.

Actually some Solingen razors are bringing good coin.

I’ve been watching a couple of razors; this LeGrelot and a Tennis. Anyhoo, I don’t have a froggy yet so I grabbed this one. Looks like she’ll polish up nicely. Had to fork out $36, which is higher than I typically pay, but such is the price to play;). It doesn’t hurt too bad, I just booted a $9 str8 for $40:D

B6CE80BC-B924-48E8-A416-E1EC3647D7E8.jpeg

oscar11, mrchick, JazzDoc and 4 others like this.
  10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Nice Catch..I Saw that One on French EBay..I have Honed a Number of those French LeGrelot Canada Jobs..It May be Shave Ready or Not..I Normally Finish them on My Escher Thuri..These French LeGrelots are Renown for having a Particular Sticky or Grabby Edge..Just the Type of Steel..Its Fairly Hard Steel..:eek:

I Use My Escher Thuri Cause I Find it Smooths the Edge Big Time..My Judgement of Taste Of Course But I Find My Black Surgical Arkansas Stone Just Doesn't Fit them.. An Arkie Finisher Can Magnify the Crabbiness or Stickiness of the Edge So I Dont Use it on French Steel in General..French Steel Can Take a Wee Bit of Getting Used to Dialing in at the Finishing Stage..Once Dialed in they are Beautiful Shavers..:happy088:

But..Hey..Thats Me Talkin..:sport026:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, TestDepth, JazzDoc and 2 others like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Well I’ve been keeping my eyes open and finally scored a TI. Not sure on the age but it appears to be an early “bison”. Brown Translucent scales, double jimps, but the spine is plain. The etching is the same on the modern bisons. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Some hone wear but looks to be even. We’ll see once Mr Postman shows up;)

570F15EE-CCF8-43DF-A061-CB1182E96501.jpeg

12. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Congrats- great score Keith!

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice score.

Spyder, Billyfergie and M14Shooter like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:eatdrink047: :happy088: