Preshave Oil?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Wishoot, Nov 17, 2008.

?

Preshave Oil?

1. Yes! I use Preshave Oil

23 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. No. Not for me.

39 vote(s)
    62.9%
  1. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Sound off.

I was just at Truefitt and Hill in Chicago and picked up this tiny bottle of oil that cost like $25. I decided to pass on it. Seems like a ton of money for a little oil.

My question is: Do you or do you not use preshave oil. If you do, what brand?

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Of the preshave oils, T&H is right there on the top. But do to price, I'll probably be buying AOS unscented next time. It does make a difference, depending on how you use it. I never saw a difference untill I adopted the shower method. Once I get in the shower and wash my hair and face, I smear little bit of the preshave oil around all my stubble. I let it sit there for the duration of the shower, letting it steam into my skin and soften the stubble. I than get out of the shower, towel off my body, and procede to face lather like it was never put on. It does make a difference. It deffinetly gives me a more comfortable and protected shave.

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I sometimes use a preshave, but never an oil. I prefer Floid or proraso preshave. I just can't get into the extra oil.

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Not a fan.

5. I have a couple AOS oils which I purchased from a shop clearing out. I wouldn't spend much money on pre-shave oils as I don't think it adds much to the experience.

6. Damon

Damon Member

I use a similar shave oil on occasion that I made from the same ingredients listed on the bottle made it at a 1/3 of the cost.

7. apswartz

apswartz New Member

I make my own. I use Jojoba, evoo, grapeseed, glycerin, tea tree, and lavender eo. Quite cheap and effective.

I don't use it everyday, but at least 1 to 3 times a week.

8. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I used to use oil but have found that if I use the Lucky Tiger Lemon Facial Cleanser, it does as good a job for me with respect to softening the beard.

9. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

I use Em's shave oil . . . I got it from another B&B member, and it keeps me quite happy. I put it on as soon as I get out of the shower. It sits while I make my lather, and then I put on a hot towel (or sometimes a bit of prelather). When I'm out, though, I'll probably make my own with the aforementioned grapeseed, olive, and castor oils.

I've never tried putting it on before I shower. I'd think that'd lock out the moisture, but I'll try anything once . . . I'll have to give that a shot.

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've never seen a need to even try pre-shave oil. I did recieve some in a T&H sample pack, so I'll try it at some point.

11. rwb

rwb Member

i make my on out of almond oil ceaderwood ,tea tree, lavendre it works for me

12. Milton

Milton New Member

I'll use it if I have it. I currently use Nancyboy Signature PSO. Its nice and I like using it, but I can't tell if it actually helps much. When it runs out I probably won't replace it. The cream on the other hand, I'll stock up on for the next few decades :D.

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

No preshave oil for me either, I used to use the Proraso Pre/Post cream all the time......but it left a nasty film

in the sink and it left a funk on my brushes :(.....I decided I get as good of shave without it :)

14. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Not after, but while in the shower. After you wash your face and hair and do everything you plan on doing to your head, than put it on and leave it while you wash the rest of your body.

15. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I do the Oil Cleansing Method daily in the shower, and I shave after I shower. 20% cold pressed castor oil, 80% EVOO. I've been doing it for about 3 months now with good results. My face is less dry after washing and produces less oil throughout the day; although with winter coming on I'm feeling the need to either adjust to maybe a 10% or 15% blend or start using a facial moisturizer, especially on the days I don't shave. I have been thinking of mixing in some other oils (grapeseed, switching to jojoba, maybe tea tree, also maybe some EOs) to jazz it up a bit...

So in a roundabout way I do use a preshave oil, but I've never used an actual marketed pre-shave oil. HTH....

16. Crappy

Crappy Member

I use Hydrolast Cutting balm in the shower after I clean my face. Really work it in and let it sit for a while. I make sure to get any excess off lest it gunk up my shaving brush. Brushes are to expensive to ruin with oil. It seems to work for me.

17. maxpower

maxpower Member

To each his/her own. I am certainly not knocking anybody's methods. For me, I like to keep it simple. I have the same opinion on super lathering.

18. charlie farley

charlie farley New Member

I voted yes because I've used it in the past but the price puts me off.For a tiny bottle,it's too expensive so I plan to mix up a batch of my own.I've never mixed any up before so I'll start with castor oil and glycerine.
    I'll get Igor to help..."Igor grab that big bottle of stuff...NO! not the blue one, NEVER the blue one!":happy102:happy102

19. rafikz

rafikz Member

+1

I think it works better with the shower method.

My method is slightly different than yours; I rub some oil in my beard before hopping in the shower.
    When I get out of the shower I have just a little oil left, which won't interfere with the lathering process

Like another member who posted in this thread, I use it infrequently

20. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I use PS oil about half the time. If I am using a subpar cream or soap then I will. I have Em's place and Nancy Boy's oil and both smell great! It really does seem to help the first pass a bit and does keep my face moisturized. The Nancy Boy is much thicker and feel works better for me. Essential? No. More of a luxury as is most of my/our shave products.