Time To Grate Some Arko.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DaltonGang, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Nice info about Arko. The smell is over powering to me, so adding oils just might do the trick. It is great soap and I want to make it work. Thanks guys

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:happy088:

3. DaltonGang

I'm running low on the Sandalwood. I will be mixing some more up soon.

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@swarden43 I hate spinach shaving cream and menthol soaps

DaltonGang and Jayaruh like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Having an overabundance of Avon Wild Country AS, I dribbled some in my lather bowl, and loaded Arko in a boar brush. Pleasant mix. Next step is to try that trick to reduce the natural lemony scent, though I don't mind it straight up. It's a whole new Arko world!

Ijustmissedthe50s and DaltonGang like this.
  6. DaltonGang

I've hear another way of infusing it too. Another member grated it and added boiling water to the Arko, then mashed it all together with the wanted scent. It was then transferred to the desired contained, and left open, until it dried and hardened. I might try this way next.

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I have not yet succumbed to the siren call of Arko. However, my next order of whatever will probably have a stick added.

RyX likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I just recently did this myself. I just used enough liquid to loosen it up and help everything blend. I added Orange EO, M-Bomb, and strong brewed green tea for the liquid. I am calling it Iced Orange Tea Arko. I only have 5 or 6 shaves out of it now but have been enjoying it.

9. DaltonGang

Excellent.

10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If you can use Williams, you can grate it up and scent it with things like Old Spice, etc. B&B has a thread dedicated to nothing but modifying Williams to make it smell, which apparently also makes it a bit easier to lather. (Blue Willy is Aqua Velva Blue Ice soaked Williams)

11. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have read that thread but I like the scent of Williams so I reckon it's a non factor for me.

12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I like it too - but I've considered doing it with some of my extra pucks, just for a change. Nothing says you can't have Williams and still enjoy a different scent. I might even just grate up the Williams and soak with alcohol just to turn it into a bowl soap.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Williams used to make both Rose and Mentholated versions of the soap. It wasn't always just the one scent.

***Edit - I thought I remembered seeing a rose scented but I dont see much online about it.

RyX likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

It's time, again, to grate some Arko. I am almost out of my favorite blend, with Avon Spicy. Maybe I should do one with Shulton Old Spice. I'm kind of on the fence. Well, either way, I have a couple of weeks to decide.
    I just grated 4 sticks of Arko, and will be airing it out, until the scent dissipates.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Keithmax, RyX and sdguero like this.
  15. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I did one with Skinbracer that turned out well.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

DaltonGang likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

Its been a little over 1 month, airing out 4 sticks of grated Arko. It took longer than expected, since it was all in one tub. Less air circulations around the grated soap.
    So, lets get to the nitty gritty.

I put all the soap into a medium bowl, I will use a larger one next time. I then Boiled about 2 cups of water, and added it to the grated soap. I tried stirring it, at first. This didn't work well, so, I used a whisk. That did the trick, it chopped and mixed the mixture well, into the consistency of mashed potatoes.
    PC181419.JPG

Next, I separated the mixture into two parts. Half got a generous amount of vintage Avon Spicy Aftershave. The other half got a few eyedroppers of Sandalwood Essential Oil. I like the P&J brand, because the scent is great, and the price isn't too high. Some Sandalwood scents smell like a cedar closet. This is not. It reminds me more like a concentrated Proraso Sandalwood Shave Cream scent.
    Anyhow, I mixed each up well, and put them into their respective containers. I will leave them open, until the water evaporates, and they harden. The Avon mixture foamed up a little, but should be fine.

PC181420.JPG

17. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Grated up 1.5 sticks. Mixed in a 1/3 of shot glass of menthol crystals along with a shot glass of boiling water.
    Pressed into a jar.
    Super cool :Animatedfrozensmily:

RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Wow, that's a lot of menthol. You are definitely in for a chilling shave. :happy088:

PumperNickel-BageL likes this.
  19. PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL Active Member

Wow this is one of the coolest threads I ever read. The possibilities are almost endless for creating Frankenstein soaps with Arko as a base (I imagine Derby would work the same way). But how do you guys know how much fragrance to add?

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Recipes? Where we're going there aren't any instructions!
    You do stuff. If it's good you do it again.
    If not, PIF it so anyone that wants to try a semi-succesful experiment?

Bookworm likes this.