Your advice: Feather AS-D2 vs Rockwell 6S

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Johan M, Dec 20, 2017.

?

Buy the Feather AS-D2

1. Yes

38.9%
  2. Buy the Rockwell 6S

38.9%
  3. Buy Blackbird

5.6%
  4. Buy Non of the above

16.7%
  5. Buy a Timeless

5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Johan M

Johan M Member

No my mind is not set on the Feather.
    Not sure yet.
    The Rockwel is well received and reviewed.

Timeless also looks great!

2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I have used an Atlas that was lent to me by a friend. I found that the R base was too aggressive for me and the M base was too mild. The Feather seemed in-between to me. But, that was awhile ago. My skills and experience were much less then and I be able to make a better assessment today. I'll have to ask my buddy if I can use it again.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gotta agree with @Terry Williams. Gillette Techs last a long time as I have many of them and use at times. Probably last longer than my lifetime.

Terry Williams likes this.
  4. Johan M

Johan M Member

Are Gillette Tech not made from Nickel Brass and not zamac?

5. Johan M

Johan M Member

Anyone with experience with SS Timeless razors?

6. Terry Williams

I have a few Techs that have a Zamac cap and stem. So, no, not all are nickel-plated brass.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

8. Terry Williams

@Johan M I don't want to sway you away from the tools that you are investigating and interested in. There are some fantastically beautiful and well-built new razors on the market. And, I think they are worth it for their engineering and build quality. But, remember that most double edge razors, if not all, have their roots in the Gillette Tech. Many have tried to improve on the Tech, and IMO, have failed or the improvements are very subjective (weight, material, styling, etc.). They still shave about the same. It becomes more a matter of what you want to hold in your hand (I'm a Nikon and Honda guy, but my buddy is a Canon guy and drives a Toyota). Techs were cheap when they were new and they are still cheap, comparatively. If you do get one that has zinc and you break it, then you are probably only out about $10. You could get about 5 of them for the cost of many new razors and then you will have backups. Just a thought.

P.S. 5 is not a hoard, it's a collection.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yes. The later gens, I believe 70's and forward (correct me if I'm wrong) are zamak head (at least cap). I haven't specifically looked for a deteriorated one, but I have yet to see one. Either it was better zamak back then or it's blown way out of proportions.

None the less, I prefer no zamak. I'm crazy.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

I second this...I bought the Feather AS D2 as my first razor despite seeing others advice to get other Razors because I knew I wouldn’t be happy until I had what I really wanted and would end up buying twice. I have never regretted my purchase and use it regularly, it is very good quality and very comfortable to shave with, I don’t own another DE razor and have no intention to buy another as I love the one I have. Only other Razors I own are the oneblade genesis V2 and the Feather Artist Club ss and dx, the only other Razors I would consider now is a straight or 2

Keithmax and Terry Williams like this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Buy once, cry once. If the Feather is the one you want, go for it.

Regardless of razor chosen, you will get great shaves. It just takes some time to learn the it and dial in your technique.

Keithmax, Olie29 and Terry Williams like this.
  12. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The Feather is a great razor and the quality is top notch. It is a mild razor. The choices of razors out there are endless so get what you are happy with. That's what is important.

Keithmax, Terry Williams and Olie29 like this.
  13. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

Great recommendation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

Yes and it’s one of my favorite razor companies. A class act. Also, 30 day return policy. I love the .68 scalloped, .95 titanium open comb, and .38 bronze. All great razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Williams likes this.