Question on Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Brad1983, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Brad1983

Brad1983 Member

As new to safety razors so I have tried Wilkinson Sword and not cut myself Today decide to try different blades ( Derby ultra) and got cut I’m just wondering if I’m doing or just different sharpness ?

Attached Files:

2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Much of your results are because of technique. That being said, I've only used the Derby blades and found them a rough shave. I suggest a blade sampler to try different blades. Trial and error will tell you what blades you prefer. Good luck.

Herm

wristwatchb and Fluffyskiador like this.
  3. Brad1983

Brad1983 Member

Ok maybe that’s what I’ll do. I found the derby and thought I’d give them a try used the same technique as the Wilkinson sword blades thank you

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Brad,

With good technique, you shouldn't cut yourself with most any reputable brand of DE blade. Consider joining the 30 Day Rule/Focus group. The idea is to pick one set up (razor, brand of blade, brush, and soap or cream) and focus on it for thirty days. There are many good folks there who will be glad to answer any questions as you progress. In 30 days, I believe you'll see a dramatic improvement in technique. The party never stops, and you can join in anytime.

I have my razor and blade preferences (and it is fun to try different things), but I can get a good shave with pretty much any set up I use...thanks to my friends in the 30 Day Crew who are always there to help me.

Have fun!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't like Derby. Nope, don't like 'em. Not one bit.

But that's me. :D

6. Brad1983

Brad1983 Member

This was a first shave with this Brand, even though it was rough sure a close shave

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm not a fan of Derby blades. I do like Vintage "Wilkinson Sword Super Sword" blades. They are some of the shadows, smoothest, and long lasting blades I've found. Vintage Gillette "Spoilers" are fantastic too.
    For modern blades to try, skip all the other blades out there and try a Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow. You will thank me.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You can cut yourself with any razor blade. They are razor sharp after all. Most likely it is a matter of technique. As your technique improves, there will be little and hopefully no blood letting.

BaylorGator and wristwatchb like this.
  9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

You need more time before you can get critical about the blade. Derby is not a bad blade choice but there are other blades that are different. Regardless of the blade you really shouldn't be getting nicked. That's a technique issue not a blade issue. I'm sure you're going to figure it out.

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm going to shave with a Derby tomorrow and see......

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would just repeat this if I wrote an answer. Spot on.

wristwatchb and Jayaruh like this.
  12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

When I started in on our hobby somewhere around 2010, Derby and Red Personna were the ruling blades. I decided that neither of those blades were for me.

I think that if I were to try them again, those two blades would shave just fine.

If you are getting cut using a safety razor of any kind, it is because you are using pressure that you can mostly get away with using cartridge type shavers.

wristwatchb and Jayaruh like this.
  13. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    I say stick with the Wilkinsons for awhile if they're working for you.

Brad1983 likes this.
  14. Brad1983

Brad1983 Member

I think that’s going to be my plan

dustmite likes this.
  15. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'm all for variety and experimenting, but make sure your technique is locked in or you'll end up blaming equipment for your errors. When DE shaving becomes second nature, explore the millions of options at your leisure.

BaylorGator and wristwatchb like this.
  16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

:signs011:

17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

What he said. ^^^^

wristwatchb likes this.