Razor Maintenance and Cleanliness

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

Some advice please. I am a Marine and cleanliness is a pet peeve of mine. So here is what I do after my shave is complete. I rinse my razor and dry the out side. Once a week I use hot soap and water and tooth brush on the razor and dry throughly. What do you gents do? Looking for methods for cleaning and keeping razor in good repair.

Semper Fi

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I breakdown my razor after each use, I clean and dry. I don't do any of the "disinfecting" cleaning unless it's a new old razor.
    Whatever works for you do it.

Ijustmissedthe50s and macaronus like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Take the blade out, hand strop it (please, let's not get into the value, or lack thereof, of hand stropping in this thread. It's my shave. I'll enjoy it my way), and drop it into the next razor in the rotation. Wipe down the razor. Done.

Razors found in the wild will get the Scrubbing Bubbles Treatment before its first use.
    1. It eats soap scum
    B. It disinfects
    Third. It leaves the razor nice and shiny

With as many razors as I have, and they all get used in rotation, they only get used 10-11 times a year. Over the past 9-10 years each one has had the Scrubbing Bubbles Treatment twice, maybe three times.

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

After shaving I clean the razor under the faucet. Shake off the water and sozzle the head of the razor in a jar of alcohol to keep the soap scum off.

Keeps them nice and shiny. :D

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Take the blade out, rinse everything in hot water to remove soap. Put back the blade for the next shave. I haven't seen any soap scum while doing that in any of my razors so far. If I use a carbon blade, razor and blade get dried with a towel.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    All my new to me vintage razors get the Scrubbing Bubbles/toothbrush treatment. After that, I remove the blade and clean the razor after each use drying it with a towel. The only exception is my injectors. I leave the blade in but rinse with hot water and towel dry.

7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Rinse with hot water, shake off, tap on pants, stick in med cabinet. If it needs it, I may clean with an old toothbrush during blade change, which happens every one to three months.

8. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

Drop blade in 90% alcohol, rinse razor thoroughly in hot water and dip head in alcohol and dry off handle with towel. Remove blade from alcohol and dry it as well. From time to time will clean the head with q-tip and alcohol if a bit filmy in spots.

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Scrubbing Bubbles weekly or as needed to remove film. Hot water rinse daily.

I used to obsess over this, but can report no ill effects from dirty razor after 2 years.

Basically, as hard core as you wanna be about this is fine. There's no downside to overkill.

10. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Since we have hard water here.
    Every shave, break down the razor and clean with hot water soap or toothpaste.
    Dry everything properly before putting it back together (the only exception is the PAL injectomatic = injector blade replacement is the only solution for that).
    Sometimes when I travel, unless I clean the blade properly it will rust.
    Probably OCD on my part....

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Every now & then, I take a q-tip, soaked in alcohol and swab the inside of the doors.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  12. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

After a shave, I shake the water out, lay it down on a folded hand towel on my "shaving stuff shelf" to completely dry. After 2 blade changes; scrubbing bubbles and an old toothbrush to remove any soap film. Scrub it like you're cleaning an M16 bolt and that should be fine. ;)

13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

After each shave the razor just gets rinsed. At each blade change I spray it with Scrubbing Bubbles and clean it with a soft toothbrush.

Herm

14. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I scrub mine down with dish soap and a tooth brush every time I change the blade, which is about once a week.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I use carbon steel SE blades most often. These have to be dried after every use. I keep my razobrite bath filled with alcohol. A quick swish after a hot water then dry everything off. DE razors get a hot water rinse and if needed for soap scum some scrubbing bubbles. I see no need to take a stainless blade out of a DE every shave. ( well unless moving to another razor. )

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and Marine68 like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

Screwtape and Marine68 like this.
  17. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Exactly what I do.

18. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

1. I breakdown the razor
    2. remove the blade
    3. rinse and dry the razor and the blade
    4. draw a bead of oil on each blade edge
    5. flip the blade and drop it back in
    6. put a drop of mineral oil on the cap threads
    7. reassemble
    8. clean up my station
    If it is a TTO, then put a drop of oil down the stem and at the TTO knob junction. Sometimes on the door hinges.

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and Marine68 like this.
  19. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

Oil --- on a razor? That's a new one on me. Does it leave a residue after use that has to be taken off eventually?

Thanks,
    Tony

RyX and Marine68 like this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've oiled all my razors with no issues.
    1. You're using a light weight machine oil or mineral oil, not 10W-40
    B. You're using a couple of small drops, not a full quart