Might have to stop shaving for some time...*shakes head disappointingly*

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GoldenHandTheJust, Jan 3, 2018.

1. I was replacing my blade today after my shave (Turns out the Gillette 7 O' Clock blacks last me two two-pass shaves) and I cut my middle finger quite deep. Around a centimetre of the skin came off and it bled a lot for around 15 minutes with me almost fainting.
    Just when I thought I would enjoy shaving again, this happens. Thanks though, to all the people who pestered me to try DE shaving again.

AGHisBBS, Spyder, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've never cut one of my fingers badly but I did put a nice slice in my cheek one time while learning to use a straight razor.
    It healed quite nicely with no scar (nothing like a keen blade).

Usually though, once you stick your finger in the light socket you remember not to do it again.

Typically I use a towel or washcloth to grasp the top of the razor while twisting the handle. Mostly because the razor and my hands are generally wet when I finish shaving so it keeps me from slipping and having an accident.

AGHisBBS, Spyder and Herm2502 like this.
  3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Walk it off mate ;)

Like John above stated, you learn fast with that kind of stuff. Probably won't happen again

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    AGHisBBS, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Like @Dansco said just rub some dirt on it and walk it off. Hell you got 10 fingers!:) When you play with sharp things you gotta expect a few little niks every now and then, don't let that get in your way to great shaves. How many great shaves did you get with carts or electrics?

5. Quite a number of good shaves with a cart early on (when I initially started shaving. My hair grew thicker after that and a cart was average) and I've never used an electric. I did walk it off, but you can't do stuff completely on your own when you're an Indian teenager living with his parents.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You've got another hand. When I had my shoulder surgery last year, I had to do all my shaves left handed. I survived very well and just fine. Keep that wound clean and covered. It will eventually heal.

AGHisBBS and Spyder like this.
  7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I get that. Took me a while to let my wife in on the wish to buy a straight. Pretty sure she hates it!

AGHisBBS and Spyder like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've a 19 year old son that's been DE shaving for 3+ years, and hasn't cut himself yet. My wife has been DE shaving for around 4 yrs. They both know which sides are the sharp sides, and haven't cut themselves yet. Blood and pain are fast teaching tools. I bet you pay attention in the future.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    AGHisBBS, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Happens to almost everyone. You'll heal AND you'll be more carful in the future.

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

If you don’t like giving up a little blood; don’t start honing or restoring Straights . ;)

Dansco likes this.
  11. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Ah yes...a razor blade can be a cruel teacher.

Dansco likes this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Ouch! That must have hurt.

To put things in perspective; I managed to slice off a little piece of my nose with a Trac II cartridge razor ... you won't believe how much that bled!

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

AGHisBBS, Dansco and Spyder like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sometimes when I chew gum I bite my tongue.....I still chew gum. Keep at it!!

14. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Injectors are always an option.

Enrico likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm assuming you did this trying to change the blade; you could try a TTO razor easier to change the blade. I can understand how it can put you off, but there will be a lot of things in life you can't give up; a car due to it breaks down, a child cause he gets sick and etc. Figure out what went wrong, ask question and next time there will be no blood loss changing the blade. Like riding a bike you will off once in a while. :)

Dansco and Spyder like this.