How's your day? Jan 2018

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by swarden43, Jan 2, 2018.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Greetings all! Hope you all enjoyed the holidays.
    For many of us, it's back to the grind. But that's okay, I like heat in the house and food in the pantry.

Dealing with the cold outside, but I much prefer 23 degrees to 93! So much easier to put on another layer; you can only take so much off before folks start calling the police!! :scared001:

Anyway, how's your day?

AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and GarnerPW like this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I much prefer 93 to 23, but to each his own.

My days starting off OK, I'll be off work for the rest of the week but have to take both cars in for servicing and a few other errands. It's not like I'm flying off for a vacation in Aruba like some people or penguins ( @richgem )

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

If that 93 is with no or low humidity, I can manage.
    That's a good "seg-way" into a major chore for me today-secure a flight reservation for a trip to Colorado in June. There's an AAA office right near me, so I'll get help frm them.

Erik Redd likes this.
  4. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

After suffering with a heating system from 1973 that has spent more time off than on this year we finally had a nice new one installed.

Paul Turner, PLAla and Erik Redd like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Update-she wasn't in...will try again tomorrow.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I had a visit to the ophthalmologist this morning. All is fine; just some minor changes. But there’s nothing like dilated pupils and a sunny day to make me wish my car were any color other than white.

Bookworm, AGHisBBS and Erik Redd like this.
  7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I'm glad we finally have a sunny day, it's been cloudy and dreary for several days, but then my eyes aren't dilated.:)

Sara-s likes this.
  8. swarden43

Had my eyes done last month. My drive home was after sunset. Makes me wonder if the sunlight is worse than the hi-beam headlights!

Erik Redd and Sara-s like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

My doc has some fancy new machine that insurance won't pay for, but the advantage is that you get the same info on your eyes without having to dilate. Worth every dollar I have to pay extra since my eye doc is over an hour away from where I live (I just decided to keep him even though I've moved over the years).

Erik Redd likes this.
  10. richgem

Reporting from sunny Aruba... all is well, but I'm having trouble finding people to speak Dutch with! I'm sure I'm doing a lousy job since my accent is probably terrible, but it's an interesting situation here. Since the island is so close to S. America, I hear a lot of Spanish being spoken. If I spoke Spanish, I could easily get by on that alone. But, there are of course, many Dutch speakers here. My experience, as I just mentioned to @macaronus is that it's sort of like the French without the snobbery. With the French, it's "how dare you speak our language without doing it perfectly." Whereas with the Dutch, it's more like "Don't hurt yourself trying, we speak English almost as well as you do and don't mind doing so at all."

In any case, I successfully ordered lunch in Dutch with a waitress who was very patient and nice, but who would only speak English back to me.

I'm also trying to watch the Dutch TV station. While, I'm getting words here and there, I'm not getting enough to make sense of it. Plus, it seems like mostly news reports and talk shows. Not the most exciting.

Possibly also of interest to @Eeyore ^

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

@richgem ik ben jaloers! :D

Geniet ervan, en oefen ze!

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

12. swarden43

Snow day. Wish it wasn't. They work three snow days into the school calendar. If they're not used during the winter, they get used in the spring. I would much rather have a nice day off rather than a day of blizzard conditions. Oh, well. Becky is making homemade cinnamon rolls. We'll finish packing up the Christmas stuff, get the house in order, then watch a John Wayne flick.

13. richgem

Dank je. Ik zal oefenen.

macaronus likes this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Last night was a very nice evening. My wife and I took a break from packing and went and saw a Broadway play. Something Rotten was very entertaining and it was nice to have a break.

Erik Redd and Sara-s like this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’m home, warm, dry and grateful that I don’t have to be anywhere. I have baked a bread & run some laundry. Later, back upstairs for some new-year paper-shredding.

Intrigued likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

Day off to a nice beginning....got my gym warmups on and a cat on my lap as I'm typing.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I woke up to 9 degrees F this morning. Probably not going anywhere, so I will use the archery in-home-trainers to do some strength & technique drills.

Erik Redd likes this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Today, I got the last of my furniture delivered. The hall tree came, and they installed the light into the curio cabinet.

46290B9A-CA60-4552-A661-0D7110015C14.jpeg 626EEC78-D8FD-42C9-A8E9-34E566800799.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  19. richgem

I just flew back home a few hours ago (and boy are my flippers tired!). I spent the week eating panenkoeken (Dutch crepes) and poffertjes (yeast pancakes about the size of a quarter that are crispy on the edges and fluffy in the middle). The Dutch pork schnitzel with home fries was really good too. Oh, and lots of bacon.

Intrigued likes this.
  20. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

So tired and sleepy.
    Starting working part time evening and weekends at Walmart to try to expedite the paying of hospital/doctor bills, and some other stuff that hit us hard last year.
    I'm too old for this two-job crap

Bookworm and Erik Redd like this.