What Other Hobbies

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Marine68, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

What other hobbies do you have. I collect challenge coins. Been collecting for over 20 years. My coins are not purchased they have come directly from the individual. My collection started out with just 1 coin well I am over 800 coins at this point. I have coins from the POTUS and everyone in between. Here is a small rack that sat on my desk.

Display2 copy.JPG

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Movies, Hiking, Biking, Camping, Cooking. :)

3. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

Well I did brew beer for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have about two dozen fountain pens. Haven't been active with them as a hobby for a while.
    Gotten into pocket knives the last couple of years.
    I've also developed an interest in Wild West History.

BamaT, TestDepth, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  5. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

This may be controversial, however, I have a hobby of gunsmithing.
    Now I'm not talking sitting at the kitchen table, using a butter knife, but I actually was trained, and have 3 family members that are current or former liscenscend gunsmiths.
    It is fascinating to me to see the mechanics, find one that doesn't work, and be able to put it back together.
    I also do some custom work, such as hand fitting 1911 parts, hand rebluing, and general purpose cleaning.
    I suppose that goes with my love of target shooting and hunting.

MR41, Hairy Alaskan, BamaT and 9 others like this.
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Modern Combat Versus, horror movie collection, role-play.

7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I don't find that controversial. It's cool. I've assembled a few guns, but when I'm having a problem with one I take it to an expert who knows more than me. I'm envious of your talent.

As for me I cycle in and out of hobbies, never getting one to stick. Skiing, shooting, scuba diving, fishing, etc. etc. I've got a natural eye for photography, but don't know what I'd do with the pictures. Now I'm cycling through hobbies with the kids hoping one of them will latch on to one and I can see it through their eyes.

BamaT, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Mine include making soap & candles, scrapbooking, archery, collecting fountain pens and animation art. I also do some Chinese brush painting.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    MR41, Marine68, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool.
    Something I've considered, just never got into.
    And now that I'm in New Jersey... *sigh*

BamaT, AGHisBBS and James_P like this.
  10. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Thanks, I dont consider it a talent, but I think it is something I was born into.
    Good luck in New Jersey!

Marine68 likes this.
  11. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I’ve got a one year old drahthaar. Most weekends I’m at the dog training club with her and helping out other wherever I can. She’s my first real bird dog, hopefully. Try to hunt some doves every year if I can, next fall I hope she is ready to go with me.

I have a few 16 ga shotguns and I am active on the 16ga society forum. I’ve pared down the shotgun collection in the last few years. If it doesn’t have two barrels, two triggers, and made entirely of steel and walnut it doesn’t float my boat any more. There’s a few exceptions to that in the gun safe, but they are mostly classic doubles. Have been moving toward European doubles as a trend. Load for 16ga as well.

Picked up a sailboat last year, needs some work so I haven’t had it out as of yet. Hopefully I can get the issues sorted out and have some fun on the water this summer when bird season is off. 16’ daysailer. Haven’t sailed in 20+ years, but have always wanted to get back out and run with the wind.

Keithmax, BamaT, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  12. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I'm another one who doesn't have a hobby that sticks. I enjoy shooting, photography, and radio controlled cars (depending on the mood).

Keithmax, BamaT and TestDepth like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I fish. Every second of every day that I can make it happen. All freshwater, small lake, boat and kayak. I most often fish Black Crappie, Northern Pike, Walleye, and bluegill. These are the best eater species in my area.

Keithmax, BamaT, dustmite and 3 others like this.
  14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Woodworking, leather working, reading, fountain pens (to a small extent), and stone eggs (sometimes just crystals if I can't get them in an egg shape)

Keithmax, AGHisBBS and TestDepth like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I restore and build furniture, tools and household items. I don't keep antiques to look at; they have a functional place in my house.
    163822_170501699661216_908320_n.jpg
    A bike I built from the frame up.

Keithmax, MR41, BamaT and 7 others like this.
  16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I brew beer. Up till now I've only brewed ales, but I have acquired a small chest freezer and a temperature control, so I'm soon going to have a go at my first batch of lager.

17. brit

brit in a box

model car building,movies,drag racing ,car shows.upgrading my mustang.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS and TestDepth like this.
  18. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I play bass guitar.
    Capture paul simonon.GIF

19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Competitive high power rifle shooting, steel action shooting (pistols), reloading ammunition, wood working - especially lathe work, riding my Harley, annual long solo road trip (30 days or more) and gourmet cooking. There are a few other things I do occasionally but those the main ones.

20. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member