Shaving Bowl Inquiry

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Zykris, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

More like "state". The red is the "wow, I should really be sleeping" avatar.

EnglishChannel and AGHisBBS like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I would venture a guess that you can incorporate the same amount of air into your lather regardless of the method used. The amount of time it takes to achieve that is probably the variable between the two methods.

Zykris likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Respectfully disagree.

Zykris likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My theory is this:
    Bowl lathering takes x minutes to incorporate y amount of air
    Face lathering takes z minutes to incorporate y amount of air

No?

5. Primotenore

Article Team
    If your face was shaped like a bowl, the times may be similar...:) P.S. I was never good at algebra. :p

6. Bama Samurai

Also: @swarden43

Yes. Lather is simply a mix of soap, air and water. Method is irrelevant to final ratio.

I think what Primo is describing is the notion that some people choose to master different methods. When they switch off their most practiced method, the results might suffer, but again, it was not the method that failed. Of course bowl lathering is better for Primo, it's what he does and is really good at. When I attempt a bowl lather, it is not always awesome, and it's solely due to my lack of practice with the bowl method.

7. Bama Samurai

Bad news:

In the Topography branch of applied mathematics, your face is similarly shaped ("like") to the inside of a bowl, though not as symmetric or regular in elevation.

Glad to help. Enjoy those awesome piles of suds! ;)

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

To be honest I've seen people whip a nice lather with their brush on the palm of their hand ... and the price is right.

GatorJoe and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Plus it is common knowledge that GAWD face lathers when he gets around to shaving.

10. Bama Samurai

GAWD has a beard like Dusty and Billy from ZZ Top.

It must be nap time.

Zykris likes this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is when he is at deer camp. For some reason that is the time when most people paint him. And is very past nap time. Dang day shifts.

Zykris likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    Quite possibly the funniest post I have ever read.

13. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I got one similar from Turkey. I really enjoy it. Does an excellent job.

EnglishChannel and Zykris like this.
  14. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I spent about a month looking at shaving bowls. My second choice was the copper bowl you're looking at, it was mainly due to price. I finally decided to go with the Captains Choice. I know, I went for the high priced one but I can honestly say it was the right one for me. It makes great lather every time, you can put it in the sink with hot water and keep your lather somewhat warm, Captains Choice helps veterans, and it looks great! I do not regret my purchase.

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

When I do bowl lather; I prefer the scuttle for warm lather. This is pretty heavy and isn’t going anywhere when it’s on the counter.

9AF6C2A3-5033-48AE-A057-EEA10EF11EF9.jpeg

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I like this one a bit better .... just my opinion.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/259510541/hand-crafted-hand-hammered-solid-copper?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=shaving bowl&ref=sr_gallery-1-17

And it is free shipping.

17. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Spyder, Enrico and Pilotcld like this.
  18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Where did you buy this from if I may?

Spyder and Pilotcld like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I stole,er, bought this one from flea-bay. There are a number of hand made ones on Etsy and the bay. Just type “shaving scuttle “ in your searches....

Zykris likes this.
  20. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Lol thanks!

Spyder likes this.