Beginner here

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Happy janitor, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Happy janitor from The South Coast. This is your own personal thread, so feel free to ask questions. Lots of friendly folks will be along to offer opinions, advice, even actual information.

Since you are new to TSD please do visit The Newbie Giveaway and sign up for a chance at some internet spending credits. Read the rules to be sure you qualify.

It's never too late to start learning and if you are interested in developing your technique check in with the guys in The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group. They (We! I'm one ;)) are a bunch of New Shavers learning vintage gear & Vintage Shavers learning new gear. It's a great place to pick the brains of folks who've shaved with a great variety of both hardware & software.

4. Happy janitor

Happy janitor Active Member

I only have one question as of yet since I haven't received my kit yet, but i was wondering if anyonehas experience with the west coast shave soap "ocean" . Seems to have mixed reviews about the quality of the lather and disappearing lather.

RyX likes this.
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

6. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

7. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs046: to the DEN

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Variables. Hardness or impurities in water have an effect on all the soaps you will try. If you have hard water one easy fix is to purchase a gallon of distilled for making lather. The brush you use, and how you use it - that's up to technique. The amount of soap used to make a lather, the quantity of water and getting the two to mix, and the air that becomes tiny bubbles all have to come together to make those yogurty mixes you'll see photos of. That's a matter of experience working with the different components, or sheer blind luck. Another factor is where you make the lather. Some shavers are strictly Face Latherers. They wet their stubble (or apply dry? Variables.) and rub the soap on their face followed by application of a brush ( slightly moist, kind of wet, you'll learn through experience) to make lather where they shave. Others (me) prefer a bowl, mug, or scuttle as their lather making receptacle. I've found I can evaluate and adjust soap/ water/ air easily in a wide shallow dish. The one I use is a Japanese Suribachi - a ceramic dish around 4-5 inches across and 2 inches deep. It has a textured unglazed inner surface and a wide surface that I don't bang my brush handles on. You might try a coffee mug, a cereal bowl, a dog water dish...

Bottom line; If your lather is weak, use more soap and slowly add water. There are products labeled "Shave Soap" that just don't perform well.

Happy janitor likes this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Michigan! If you plan on saving money here.....Never mind, you’ll find out soon enough :D

Happy janitor likes this.
  10. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Welcome, lots of great people and information here.

11. Happy janitor

Thanks again for the warm welcome! According to usps tracking, my kit should arrive today, probably while I'm at work. I've not shaved for a little more than two weeks and I'm quite scruffy. ( never knew i had so much white in my beard) . I plan on giving a full review on my first experience with a safety razor and the whole kit, albeit this will be my very first ever, no experience with any of it, review so take it with a grain of salt. I'm pretty excited about it.

Spyder likes this.
  12. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest. There is a lot of information in the archives of each thread topic.

13. Happy janitor

Well my kit arrived yesterday. It was very packaged. Upon watching some of mantics videos, i will per his suggestion, wait until the weekend for my first shave.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!