Oksson brass DE razor from Spain

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dver42, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

And it looks just like a Fatboy?

2. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

It'll have elements of the three razors mentioned. It'll be a two-piece like the Progress and the Variant, with the head most closely based on the Merkur, but the adjustment piece will be modeled on the Fatboy. So the location will be at about the same as on that razor. The handle and base knurling will be similar to that used on the Weishi 9306, because I happen to like that. :) The twist-piece for removing the cap will be flat, allowing the razor to be stood up.

3. Bookworm

You might want to consider silicone gaskets in appropriate places. Yes, they weren't part of the original designs, but maintenance can then be easier. _Make it able to be taken apart_. If the razors had been designed by Parker or Sheaffer, they wouldn't have as many 'can't use it because of being clogged' issues. (They'd also have been over stylized and over specialized, but that's another story)

4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I have trouble wanting anything new, razors or otherwise, new crap just doesn't appeal to me. The Future, and the clones, and all of the modern SE razors, are absolutely undesirable to me, not even worth the price of shipping if they were free. This new brass razor is marginally interesting simply because it's brass, supposedly. I doubt they will remain true to Gillette's original design, (The OLD is the only true Gillette razor in my opinion.) they will put their unique twist in there somewhere, and I just don't feel like going "yippee" just yet.

Enrico likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The only modern razor I have is a EJ 89 and that was only because someone here wanted a 40's Super Speed I had laying around not getting attention. I was curious, so I traded and I must say it's a very nice razor! All the rest of my razors run from 1920 to the 1960's.

This all said, there is a market for those people that, lets be honest, can't stand the thought of using a USED razor :eek:. Never mind the fact that the dentist and the surgeon use their instruments on on all their patients (yes, I know their sterilized). Some people are a little squeamish. :sick007: :happy097:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    TobyC likes this.
  6. Bookworm

A customer was a plastic surgeon. They now have disposable scalpels, and even the non-disposable usually have replaceable tips, like X-Acto knives.

7. Bookworm

Just to toss out there. For those of us who like the older style razors, having more new options is a good thing. It helps keep the price down on E-Bay and similar.

8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I too have an EJ DE89 and it actually is a decent shaver, in spite of being chrome plated zinc with a slippery chrome handle. And yes, there are people who must buy new, I have no idea what they do when they go out to eat with all those used plates, knives, forks, and spoons. And the local barber, can you imagine what a shave and a haircut would cost if everything was brand new for everyone who hopped into the chair?!!!

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've been temped to throw a rubber pen grip on it or some Sugru moldable rubber.

TobyC likes this.
  10. Bookworm

Plasti-dip. the original tool dip.

It's paintable rubber. They even use it for spraying on _cars_ now.

11. Bookworm

Dunno - maybe it's like my orthodox Jewish customers. If they go out to eat, there are only a few foods they'll order at a non-kosher restaurant (salad, for example), and they even bring their own silverware.

Oh - and I think that a lot of the barbers are required to use shavettes so they can throw the blades away.

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I'd like to see that when it is completed.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. Dver42

Dver42 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here is the first glimpse of the all brass handle and stand.

14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Hey, get rid of the torpedo shape, cut it to three inches, and give it some nice knurling, and that would be a nice handle!

15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I have no use for the "stand" or the magnet in the handle.

16. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I think it looks pretty good. If the handle is somehow had a slightly rough texture it would be cool.
    I like the concept of the magnet stand

17. Dver42

Dver42 Well-Known Member

I messaged the CEO and asked if they were going to add knurling to the handle. He said no. And he also said they did testing with the handles and they think the texture of the brass gives enough grip.

18. Bookworm

If it's sanded raw brass, not heavily polished, it'll give a good grip.

edit - I love the feel of brass. Not so much the smell left on your hands :)

Dver42 likes this.
  19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ain't that the truth.

20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Im not into Kickstarting someone's dream project, that's just me. I've done my share of presale shaving gear and it's not all what it's worth.
    Good luck to them!!
    Please keep us posted

Dver42 likes this.