Creating a dream razor(M Martinez)

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 80s_carsorgtfo, Feb 4, 2018.

1. THERE ARE NO WRONG ANSWERS, but I'd appreciate it if you justify or give a reason for your suggestions.
    Well I'll be damned. Mike martinez replied to my email asking for a custom made razor. I don't want to mess up this once in a lifetime opportunity to own a priceless masterpiece! Okay, now that I have that overdramatization out of my system, I have a few questions that I would love answers to. I've only even had one razor (soon to be two more thanks to dry gulch's) and like a virgin that doesn't know what he likes in a woman, I don't know what type of razor will be perfect for me. (The scales and blade material are already decided on)

This is my current blade, A 5/8 full hollow Sheffield steel razor.

What kind of tip should I get? My aesthetic preferences are Spanish, barbers notch then just a square tip as the third option. One thing I would like to change about my blade is the tip being too round to get those hard nooks and crannies.

What grind? I love the full hollow, but I don't like how delicate they appear. I haven't tested this theory out but I'm sure that a 6 foot drop onto tile would permanently put a full hollow out of commission. For such an heirloom quality blade I feel like a quarter or half hollow would be better. I'm not the hairiest dude(6/10) so I feel a quarter hollow may be a bit much. Does a half hollow sound reasonable?

What size? Im actually pretty sure about this one. I want a 13/16. I feel like it has a good balance between practicality and weight. But then again, I'm pretty inexperienced, so is this too big of a leap from 5/8?

Tang, jimps and tail. Just give my your opinions on these cause I really have no clue! Haha. What different styles are out there and what are the practical uses of those styles? Which do you like?

So if I had to go at this alone I'd say a 13/16 half hollow with a Spanish tip. I need suggestions. [​IMG]

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Sorry, but only you can answer these questions. Most of us have gone through a fair amount of razors before we could make a judgment on our preferences. I suspect every answer given will differ. This may just add to the confusion.

Billyfergie, TestDepth and gssixgun like this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Everyone likes different things. Have you asked Mike for his opinions?

Billyfergie, TestDepth and gssixgun like this.
  4. Yeah we've talked a little bit so far. He suggested the 13/16 blade and the material(obviously, he's an expert) for the blade. But everything else seems to be personal preference.

To clarify, I'm not asking that people tell me what to get but rather why they like certain razor styles over others. Why is your favorite razor your favorite? If someone explains why they like a barbers notch over a round tip maybe that will help me see why I may feel the same. Or in contrast why I may prefer the opposite for the opposite reason.

For instance, I read somewhere on here that a wedge worked well for a guy with a large beard, but it was a PITA to hone. Because I don't have a large beard, I now know that a wedge would be unnecessarily large and to difficult to maintain for my needs.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Spyder, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

Not to be redundant, but it really just comes down to what you like. Full hollows are very popular these days, but there is certainly the chance of breaking/cracking when dropped or honing stripping away too much metal over the years. Wedges are good for thicker growth or larger beards, but are tough to hone...of course, if you are having them honed by someone else that shouldn't matter as much. Maybe a half hollow or something in between?

Thick blades are also very en vogue, and Mike specializes in them...but do you really need an 11/8? Have you ever used one that big? Most people haven't, and it's hard to get perspective on it until you have. You could hate it.

Kamisori are also very mod yet old school. You could shave like it's 1632 Japan.

Damascus steel is awesome. Necessary...no, but it looks great.

Jagged/artisan spines, designer jumps, aged round points....these are all aesthetics. It's hard to say what you will really like until you try it.

I truly feel that the artisan is your best friend in helping you design what you really will want.

Spyder, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Im not sure if this helps, but if i were to order a custom blade from Mike Martinez...i would go all out. Big blade (as big as I thought I would enjoy), Damascus steel, custom artisan jumps and spine, eye popping scales....the whole 9. I would spare no expense to get E-X-A-C-T-L-Y what I wanted.

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a M Martinez, it is a 8/8 1/4 hollow with a smile. A wonderful razor. Mine was not a custom but ordered from his site. He specializes in big blades, heavy grinds and smiles so I would go with what made his reputation. It is the biggest razor I own and I was surprised how easy it is to shave with a big blade. I also really like the smiling edge, great for shaving my neck.

Go a little bigger, maybe 7/8 and 1/2 hollow grind. Take a look at this work and see what you like. I, with @Straight razor dandy , go for it. His Damascus blades look very nice. If I get a good bonus this year I want to buy one of his Damascus razors.

Look forward to seeing what you get.

8. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I would make a point to stay within his style parameters. What defines his razors in your mind? You know, when you look at the razor and think "that looks like a M. Martinez razor" without having to look at the stamp. In time these guys develop a signature style that's their own and this could include grind type. I'd stay with that. Choose your steel type, scales, and jimps and turn him loose. Good luck.

9. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

For me, my beard is not verry dense, so i like shaving with big, full hollow, singing razors,
    I like razors with a wide smile because it makes shaving under my jaw piece of cake.

I shave completely so there is no use for a pointed trimmingtip.

Steeltype does not really matter as long as it takes and hold a comfy edge, no need for brittle superhard.
    However, it needs to be quenched in the fresh blood from an isis terrorist to give me a satifying shave.

7/8 just cause it looks nice.

The Scales,it would be nice if they were carved from the teeth from a T-rex with some ebony inlay.

Three pins off course, brass with a small carved silver ring and a little diamond to hide the brass.

No varnish, just some cooked linoil and a matt polish

10. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I recently jumped from a 6/8 to a 9/8 an absolutely love the big heavy wedge. Honestly I love the 6/8 before I even got this but I do feel like the size and weight was an upgrade. Admittedly I keep a goatee which makes the size less of an issue because I don't have to maneuver it under my nose. On the rest of my face though I highly enjoy the bigger blade.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

11. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

My chopper[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

12. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Wedge razors or near wedge rock.

They are silent and they "erase" your beard. Yes, they are APITA to hone. But a good honing will last longer than expected on a wedge vx full hollow ground singing razors.

Barber's notch?
    I wouldn't... unless you are planning on shaving someone else.

Damascus ?
    I wouldn't...but a nice etching of some kind would be awesome. Something that means something to you. It's not exactly a tattoo so if you don't like the etching you can buff it out one day.

I'd keep with the smiling blade though. It will add to the difficulties in honing and make the tip harder to use in tight spaces but if it's gentle enough of a curve it's not that bad.

Keithmax likes this.
  13. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Im actually designing another one myself right now. I'm going for the Lewis Razors look. Very aggressive slight smile although I think I'm going to ask him to remove smile for honing purposes. I can hone but smiles take technique and I'm the type of guy that doesn't like to depend on anyone so no smile for me and I am doing a rock textured spine with a Damascus blade. I would assume this would be a similar design to what I want. But that the beauty of custom cuz it's beautiful but not quite there yet.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T377W using Tapatalk

14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Slight smiles aren’t that much harder to maintain, as long as the bevel is set I’ve been able to maintain mine.

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I just here for the razor pics. I don't use a straight, but I can appreciate them! :signs154:

16. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

What is M. Martinez’s website?

Karl G likes this.
  17. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Mike hasn’t been operating in quite some time now. The normal method of contacting him was FB at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl G likes this.
  18. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you