Best Tallow-Based Soap\Stick

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by idan, Oct 5, 2017.

1. boingo

boingo Member

Cold River Soap Works, Mikes and Jabonman are my top recommendations.

2. anaconda44

anaconda44 Member

The first tallow-based soap I tried was DR Harris and it did a far better job of protecting my face than any vegan-based creams I've ever used like TOBS and Trumper.

Then I discovered Stirling Soaps and that was it. I love their entire range of products and their soap provided even better glide and protection than the DR Harris.

Best of all, there's literally close to 40 different scents to choose from their regular lineup they stock year-round and they introduce additional seasonal scents as well every few months.

Now the only soaps in my rotation are Stirling (Barbershop, Black Cherry, Stirling Gentleman, Spearmint, Electric Sheep, Lemon Glacial, Almond Creme, and Vanilla Sandalwood).

3. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Too many too list, really, but these soaps are fantastic:

Mystic Water
    Mike's
    L&L Grooming
    Jabonman/Eufros Tallow
    Shannon's
    Haslinger
    Cold River
    Grooming Department
    B&M
    Tallow & Steel
    Stirling

Yehuda D and PLAla like this.
  4. Jim C

Jim C New Member

WSP Formula T Shea Butter and Tallow. Scents are fantastic.!!!

5. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

To return to the OP's query, what are the best tallow soap sticks, I'd rate Valobra and Palmolive at the top. Palmolive costs considerably less than Valobra, but they are both delightful soaps to use. The scent of Palmolive reminds me of my childhood when it seemed that green Palmolive bathing soap was the only soap we ever used, while Valobra has that posh scent not unlike the little cakes of French milled soap that I like to steal from hotel rooms. A soap stick applied to the face makes my beard stand tall. I always get a great, close shave when I use a stick.

6. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I like the blue Wilkinson Sword tallow soap stick. It makes a slick cushiony lather.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

7. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Don't know about the best, but my favorites are:

Stirling
    Tabac
    MWF

8. celestino

I wanted to update this list by adding Wholly Kaw soaps, which are superb!

PLAla likes this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Me too! I have praised the blue stick numerous times over the years ;)

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Yehuda D, Jacobite and PLAla like this.
  10. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Who else out there can give me a really good review on the Wholly Kaw with donkey milk formula... Ive been on the fence on purchasing a puck...

Dont like chasing the latest and the greatest... How does it compare to Stirling and Mitchell's Whool fat?

11. celestino

It is one of the best soaps I have tried in the past seven years. It is really quite superb. You'll probably find it to lather a bit easier than Stirling's and even more so compare to MWF.
    The scents can be quite complex and interesting, but you'll have to experience them, for yourself. You could always get their Bare Naked (unscented) to see how their base it.
    I have used the majority of commercial and artisanal soaps, and this is one of the best.
    Good luck.

Yehuda D likes this.
  12. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Thanks for such a prompt response.. I will give the Bare Naked formula a try...:eatdrink047:

Thanks for all your help sir..

Yehuda D likes this.
  13. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

There are so many soaps out there and I am sure you will find something you like and works great for you. For me it is tallow based old school smells like "barber shop" "tobacco" etc. The brands I have been using are Fine and WSP. I am learning that it is real simple do what works for you. You know what they say about opinions. If it smells good to you, if it gives you a shave you like then that is the best for you. However most of the stuff I have read here is spot on there is lots of knowledge and experience here so read as much as you can.

Yehuda D likes this.
  14. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Great, thanks for you help... I am more concerned about the soaps
    performance. To be specific the post shave.. What do you think my best option would be?:eatdrink047:

Yehuda D likes this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yuppers.

Yehuda D likes this.
  16. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

Dr Harris Windsor is awesomeness.

I finished Arlington which I liked , rebought it along with Windsor....I like Windsor a tad more.

Both work fantastically

SpeedyPC likes this.
  17. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Not familiar with either:shaver

18. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I really think DR Harris is one of the most underrated soaps around I love the Marlborough scent and always work it in to my rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile likes this.
  19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the best stick is Arko!

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

whenever i use dr harris in my rotation i always wonder why i dont use it more. then i use another soap and wonder why i dont use that one more.

it seems there are lots of good lathering soaps available. guess we are lucky .

Linuxguile and LevelupShaves like this.