shaving soap vs bath soap

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by peacefrog, Apr 2, 2007.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I guess this is a question for Sue, although anyone can chime in. I'm wondering about the differences in shaving soap vs bath soap. Is one more difficult to develop than the other? Are the ingredients different? What other differences are there?

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You read my mind. I'm sitting here with a tub of Mama Bear Aged Spice and I'm asking myself if I would dare take it or one of the others into the shower and use it as soap for the fun of it. Expensive use of shave soap and may be totally inappropriate but what the hell, you only life once and you can always order another shave soap. :D

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

You can use each and every shaving soap for bathing. It might be a waste, but shaving soaps are also only soaps. They do have oils added that allow for a dense, creamy lather, which is not an important issue with bathing soaps and then there's also stuff like clay that makes your razor glide along your face, but, substancially, there's not a big difference.

Am I right, Sue :D

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

I confess to using bath or face soap for shaving. Actually, as I recall, it was not bad. To this day I will wash my face with face soap, even after a shower, and not rinse well thus having the lubrication from the face soap for my shave.

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Sounds right to me :happy088

6. qaswer

qaswer New Member

You are not only one who is confused about these because more often i also caught in this dilemma . What to use is a big question and i am often worried due to this weird choice .

7. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm New Member

Moviemaniac hit the nail on the head.

When developing shaving soap (cold process) recipes, I take into account oils that promote a long lasting large lather, as well as being moisturizing.

Likewise for facial soaps, I tend to add oils higher in the linoleic fatty acids. For shampoo bars, I add hair loving additives such as jojoba

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

It's about time you showed up to put this to rest. :D

9. MullersLaneFarm

Rich,
    It's that time of year when I'm trying to finish up the winter projects (spinning, knitting, weaving) so I can have time for spring projects (making soap, starting garden plants in the greenhouse). Then I get into the busy season of gardening (weeding, harvesting, canning, drying).

I've missed you guys!

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Well, I would hope so. We missed you too. Want to plant some of my San Marzano tomato seeds for me I just got? I need to hunt down a couple of good tomato and sweet red pepper plants and a container bay leaf tree. I wish I had a place for a herb garden that I know the dogs wouldn't get into. Good luck with the projects.

11. MullersLaneFarm

San Marzano is great tomato!

Just dogs!?!?! Try chickens, guineas & geese!! The chickens do fairly well staying out of the vegetable garden, but come late summer, I have to keep a close eye on the geese and the grape vines ... they'll pick it clean in a day!

12. qaswer

qaswer New Member

Bath soap is different different from shaving soap.Shaving soap produces more lather then bath soap.Saving soap is more effective in shaving then bath soap.