March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Head Shave Only (24 hours)
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: Barburys synthetic
    Soap: Arko
    Razor: Gillette P-3 (setting #9)
    Blade: Family Dollar DE blade (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson's Original WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PS Balm, Family Dollar Spice AS

My primary focus this month is taming the CJB pain stick, however, I'm not brave enough or skilled enough to try it on a head shave (not for a long, long time). But I'm planning to shave my face with the pain stick every 2 or 3 days. So, I'll be doing head shaves with other tools this month.

sotd 3.2.2018rev.jpg

2. sdguero

Nice set-up and photo, Jim! I really like the name of that after shave.

FaceScraper, Linuxguile, RyX and 4 others like this.
  3. sdguero

Nice photo of your son, Andrew. My wife looks forward to see his Friday photo.

4. sdguero

Thanks for keeping us informed, Andrew. He's in our prayers as is the family.

5. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Day 2 with the Luxor Pro provided a satisfactory shave without blood loss. As I'm usually an ever-other day shaver, I did a single WTG pass this evening. I'm still getting a bit of sting from the alum, proving I need to work harder on angle.

6. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

March 2, 2018
    Shave 2 of 30

Tonight's shave was less than stellar. I just couldn't get in the groove. I had a hard time finding the right angle for the left side of my face and the right side of my neck, the upper lip, and chin. I did nick myself once with the shavette, which is fine, but nothing felt smooth. My lather could have been wetter I think, which probably contributed to the problem. After several stops I decided to call it quits before I got really frustrated and drew some serious blood. Oh well. That's what these focuses are for. So we will see what tomorrow brings.

7. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I’ll keep him, you, and your family in my thoughts, Andrew. Let’s hope for the absolute best!

Drygulch, Linuxguile, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

@jtspartan

Ranking my injectors would be interesting. Here goes a try, from best and down:

Schick G1
    Schick G4 ‘66’
    Schick I1
    Schick M adjustable
    Schick L5 ‘Revere’
    Schick J1
    Schick L1
    Personna
    Schick G8
    Schick E2

They are all great razors. The I1 to J1 could all be interchanged. They are solid choices. The G8 and E2 are my least favorites, but they’re again good razors. Not a bad one in the lot.

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Dan! Looks like a nice shave.
    Thank you!

Drygulch, Linuxguile, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Continuing to pray for him and your family, Andrew. Did he get the port-a-catheter in his chest?

11. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I found my lather was drying last night also , probably due to being slow and careful. Tonight wasn't so bad . Maybe stretch the skin more as I did tonight and got more improvement. Getting the grip and angle down is another story but I'm working on it . Only early yet . Good luck .

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great picture and lineup Jim.

Great lineup Dan. I think you made a wise choice on the pain stick and head shave. ;)

I had one of those days as well. Like you said we at least have tomorrow.

13. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

My shave this morning was just the same lather was drying lol. So I started lathering small sections and shaving that. Still need to work on ATG.

14. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Clint!

Drygulch, Linuxguile and clint64 like this.
  15. sdguero

Hey guys. By no means am I an expert on shavette. My first focus in that category was in January with a Magic. First time I used it my lather dried out on me because I was deliberately going slow. Taking good advice from the experts in the 30 crew I did what Jason just said.... lather up a small section, shave, move on to a different section. Worked great for me. Example... right cheek first, left cheek next, right side of neck, etc. then do the same for a 2nd pass if you do one.

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@Norcalnewb baseball pattern

17. sdguero

It was very nice... tomorrow or Sunday is pain stick time!
    Thanks, Clint!

18. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

That wasn't really my problem. I'm assuming shavettes are like straights for lather in that the wetter the better. My lather was fine for my E3.

I'll also say I did relather certain spots but the angle never felt comfortable and I still got that sticking motion like I would with a straight

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Norcalnewb Baseball Lathering Pattern. It's been around, but not mentioned lately. Lather a sector, shave it. The another, repeat. No hurries, and keep your concentration on the area you are shaving.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

20. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Great looking razor. I need to study up on them.

Great looking kiddo. It must be Friday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.