March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jason!

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Great photo and sweet looking razor, Jim. I can send you some Feather Pro and Super Pro blades if you'd like to try them in the Hawk. Let me know if you're interested.

mrchick, Drygulch, RyX and 8 others like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you, Jason!

4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thanks, Charlie and Jason. The only way to find out if you enjoy something is to try it. I expect I will post the SR in the BST later this week -- it's too nice a razor to leave sitting unused in a storage carton in my closet. It deserves to have an owner who will shave with it.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jason. :happy088:

Drygulch, jtspartan, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  6. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Same here, I have an OC ATT set that has a slant head in the mix. I used it 3 times. I never used either of the other 2 base plates. I don't know if it was the slant head or the feel of the OC but I hung it in the rack and left it there. Too many good razors to use. The ATT set just isn't my cup of tea. It's on BST looking for a new home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

7. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Yep...a Slim is a fantastic beast. Give it time. Find a blade that works well in it for you and enjoy.

8. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I have to apologize to @Bama Samurai. I got sick Saturday afternoon, and haven't felt up to shaving. I'm going to get back to it when I'm feeling a bit better, and I'll make up the rest of the time in the beginning of April.

9. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Yes, He is! And He works with all kinds of angels. Good on you, sir.

10. wristwatchb

Amen. Thank you for the kind words. :)

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Jason! I like Irisch Moos quite a bit. It is made by the same folks who make Tabac, and there are some family resemblances. It isn't quite as old man (or old lady purse, as some say), but it does have a little of that classic gentleman scent. I will admit that I need to wear it on days I won't see my wife too much, so it is a good gym day AS. I am heading to the movies with my wife this evening and broke out some of the Dr. Jon's Flowers in the Dark in preparation. She will appreciate that one more.

12. wristwatchb

:angry032::angry032::angry032:

Drygulch, PLAla, Screwtape and 6 others like this.
  13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Charlie! I would love to try some different blades; I have been meaning to get some Feathers to see how I like them in this razor and the CJB.

14. wristwatchb

There's nothing worse than a $3 drugstore fruitcake, but I love a good, homemade fruitcake. Before she passed, my dear Mother-in-Law used to make a great one. I have her recipe, and I've made them myself. Last year, my Bride and I got a fruitcake here, and it was top shelf: https://www.gethsemanifarms.org/fruitcake.aspx We'll make another road trip down there soon for another fruitcake and some fudge. Sadly, they don't produce cheese anymore.

15. wristwatchb

I'll fix you up on the blades, Jim! :happy088:

Drygulch, PLAla, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  16. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

March 5, 2018
    Shave 4 of 30

So I skipped yesterday's shave (3/4/18) since I didn't have to work today, and it allowed me to give my face a break. I did though do some practicing with the shavette, trying different grips and how I'd play the razor over my face.

So for tonight's shave... I loaded a fresh Perma-Sharp blade, and my Stirling Island Man seemed plenty slick. Maybe even too slick. So the WTG passes on the cheeks I'm pretty confident in. Under the lip down the front of the chin, can't really complain. The neck, I can make it work. The upper lip, I can do this side action (left to right) that mostly works except for that divot, the bulb of the chin is my #1 enemy. Well it might be tied with the corners of the mouth. The blade did bite me twice, but I felt it and it was more the initial angle when I placed the blade on my face, though the one did surprise me.

Overall.... I guess it went well. I used the E3 to just touch up the chin, corners of the mouth, and then finally the jawline with the witch hazel. The alum sang mainly on the neck and jaw, which was expected.

I will say I don't want to quit, and am thinking about picking up some more Perma Sharps to continue this into April, so I guess that's good.

17. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Good Sir, would you be able to share that family recipe?

clint64, Drygulch, RyX and 7 others like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Tuesday and back to work on the Tabac.

I filled in the donut hole of death and over loaded the brush, I hope I can kill this puck in March. The picture does not properly show how big the smile is on this razor. It came with an OK edge but I took it to the Dovo red and black pasted strops and that was the ticket. It is going to take a little more to get used to this razor, one weeper and a little feedback from the alum but over all a very good shave.

Irritation A Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

Razor: Herr Razors
    Strop: Dry Gulch black latigo
    Brush: Elite Razor Manchurian
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: Tabac
    AS: Speick AS, L’ Occitane ASB
    Scent: MDCI Chyphre Palatin

IMG_4616.jpg

19. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Just wow. Great picture, the blade is super scary looking even with a smile, AND an Elite Manchurian? Holy hell, I like the way you roll. Kudos.

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

"It never rains in Californy
    But girl, don't they warn ya..." :)

clint64, mrchick, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.