Favorite handle replacement for the Gillette New

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by william beer, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Easy enough to make ... pick up antler from Petsmart.

brit, Bookworm and jmudrick like this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Petsmart? Prithee, elucidate on the location and reason for existence of horn material at Petsmart? (never seen it, can't think of why it'd be there)

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

4. brit

brit in a box

a gold ball end tech handle may work on it.i ve thought about trying that one on my sc.
    just trial ftted a well worn brit 40s tech handle fits well. slight chamfering on the edge, balances on a finger near the top grip. the ball end is solid and mine has no plating left so it matches the head. just a thought....could fill the common bar handle with weight as well if you want to keep it looking original

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    jmudrick likes this.
  5. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

@jmudrick has already provided the answer; however, since after-market handles are my most severe acquisition disorder, here are a bunch of NEWs with replacement handles, and a few with their originals. (Caveat: I have been DE shaving for more than 50 years and do not always find balance to be an issue.):

upload_2018-3-8_10-41-55.png

Tom

Bookworm likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hey none of this is actually necessary. Obviously most folks don't even notice the Imbalance and it certainly doesn't prevent anybody from getting a good shave.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

brit and TobyC like this.
  7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

A while back, I bought a small lot of distressed razors from an eBay auction. One of them was a post-War Gold Tech with a partial ball-end handle from a New (collet and cracked shaft). The thing is that the Tech head looked like it had never been used. I'm convinced that sometime in the late '40s, someone really loved their New LC (or Goodwill) and, when the handle broke, went out and bought a Tech just for the handle.

brit likes this.
  8. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

Please forgive me; I was not implying you found it an issue - only that I didn't, and was, therefore, quite happy to slap every aftermarket handle I could find on the Gillette NEW. (And if others found balance to be an issue, ignore my Handle AD!)

PS - I felt like your original response WAS the right answer, and mine was superfluous. I should have made that clearer.

Tom

jmudrick likes this.
  9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

jmudrick likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sold as as a chew toy for dogs. Very reasonable price.

Bookworm likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Bookworm and wchnu like this.