Fatboys

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kevinwine85, Mar 9, 2018.

1. stanko

stanko Member

One Day.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nope not worth the extra ching. If you gotta have an adjustable...they are kinda silly.... A slim or Black Beauty will give just as good a shave. You pay the extra ching for what it is...not the job it does.

jimjo1031 and CarlfromMO like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The fat boy is a great razor. Is it worth the asking prices that you’ll see online? That’s up to an individual’s willingness to part with his money. Basically, you have to decide how badly you want it.

I got lucky with mine after shopping around for a few months. It was in an a antique shop and they were looking to unload it. I get great shaves out of the fat boy and it’s my favorite adjustable razor. Then, of course, I get great shaves from most of my razors.

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have 4 of Gillette's adjustable razors:

Fatboy
    Slim (silver handle)
    Slim (black handle short)
    Slim (black handle long)

For me, I do not see appreciable difference in the way they shave. I use all on setting 3. I believe you would be pleased with any of the 4.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Terry Williams, Jim99 and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm in a tiny minority because in my opinion, no. Good razor, but the hype is just that.

Jim99, RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have four of the Gillette adjustables, two Supers ( short and long gold), one Slim and one Fatboy. I get great shaves from all of them, but I personally prefer the Fatboy only because I like the shorter handle, weight and balance of the razor. Even with the case, price wise it didn't cost me the most, you just have to keep looking. And I pretty much have to depend on Ebay or similar as in this town I have not yet seen a razor for sale in any thrift store so far. But I'm still looking..............

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Eggggggzacally!

8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have one Fatboy. Its a G1 so it was manufactured in 1961. Of the 8 razors I own, the Merkur 34c and the Fatboy (shown below) probably account for 90% of all my shaves. Its heavy and comfortable in the hand and gives excellent results with a wide variety of blades. Not sure what a "hefty" price means. I paid $80 for mine on Ebay, which for the excellent shape its in - I thought was a reasonable price for something that will last me forever.
    Coniferous2.jpg

Attached Files:

MR41, Edison Carter, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  9. Kevinwine85

Kevinwine85 Well-Known Member

Well it looks like I just got one, vintage Gillette 1959 fatboy e1 with original case.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Looking forward to hearing about your shaves! I hope it's everything you are looking for in a vintage adjustable.

LOOT and Jim99 like this.
  11. Kevinwine85

Thank you, the damage was 65 bucks, but from what I've seen, I think I got a good deal, considering it has a case.

Jim99 and LOOT like this.
  12. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

65 with a good, clean case is a pretty good deal. We need pics and some shave reports!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Pictures?

14. Kevinwine85

Ok, will do, it's an eBay win, as Soon as it gets here I'll post pictures. I normally shaved with a straight razor, but ever since I won a de in a pif, It would be dishonest of me if I said I didn't like shaving with de razors, it could be just me, but I have coarse hair, and it seems like they do a better job with hateful stubble.

LOOT likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

@Col C you bring up a great point; purchase price of a Fat Boy. They're no longer in production, all brass and nickel plated, solid construction, a great shaver, and by the way they're repairable. A merkur 34C is around $40 and plentiful; so paying $65 for a Fat Boy (in a case), in my eyes is not a bad price. :)

Col C, Jim99, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sure. But I think the question is as to why they are worth more than other Gillette/other vintage razors which are no longer in production, all brass and nickel plated, solid construction, a great shaver, and by the way repairable. No question vintage Gillettes generally are good deals compared with modern razors.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX and LOOT like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Beat me to it.

LOOT likes this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I don't know ... people are crazy ... as you know. Usually when you don't have a particular razor, your usually willing to pay more; then when you have one there everywhere and cheap.

RyX, jmudrick and LOOT like this.
  19. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Someone already answered. It's heavier, shorter, and better balanced than a Slim or a BB.

Just because you think adjustables are stupid doesn't make it so. To each his own.

OP read the feedback and made a purchase. He will find out for himself soon enough. And the beauty of it is...if he hates it just like you, he can sell it and back the majority of his money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jim99 and RyX like this.
  20. Kevinwine85

There's a gold tone 58 on eBay right now.

Enrico and LOOT like this.