Show off your watch

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Darkbulb, Aug 1, 2014.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I married one. ;)

wristwatchb, Robyflexx and Darkbulb like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have found some drawbacks with the watch though;
    a) The glass is not 'flat' ontop of the watch face but has a bit of a bevel at the edges that casts a bit of a shadow into the inner edges of the watch - where the numbers and notches are - making it a bit harder to see accurately what time it is, (the Slow MO-models may resolve that issue though), and
    b) it is not a watch that is illuminated in any way so when it's a bit darker (sometimes even just in-door-light) the dim face and the closeness of the numbers makes it tougher to tell the time. The 'win' here goes to the traditional two-hand watch as we are so used to being able to look at just the position of the hands to tell the time. With the SlowWatch I have to read the number closest to the hand (which sometimes is in shadow due to the bevel in the glass) and then assess what the time is.

I still hands-down love the watch and think/believe that challenge 'b' above will get resolved with more use and being able to tell the time simply by the positioning of the hand.
    We shall see :)

RaZorBurn123, mrchick and GatorJoe like this.
  3. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Thinking about a new watch right now. Looking at a Hamilton field or a Bulova Tellaro. I am interested in a mid priced self winder, and these two are in the budget and suit me aesthetically. Don’t want to go too big, current citizen eco is 43mm.

Was thinking of another Citizen eco in black or grey, but started looking at automatics and now I’m leaning that way.

Thoughts?

wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  4. barbersurgeon

Pulled the trigger on a Hamilton Khaki field Olive Green 40mm. Should be here this week. After comparing countless options to this watch, I decided it was the one.

It has the H10 movement, which is either a great thing or maybe a headache.. Laser Tuned, and non-adjustable. So if acceptable out of the box, probably good for a decade or more.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  5. barbersurgeon

My new Hamilton arrived yesterday. Very nice watch, classic understated lines and 40mm crown is about perfect on my wrist. It feels a bit small compared to my eco drive, but the eco is a bit on the large side for me. At 43mm the eco is as big as I can really sport. The band on the Hamilton is well made, finished nicely, and is comfortable. Need to pull a couple or three links as expected.

The micro tick ‘sweep’ on the second hand is acceptable, if not as smooth as some other movements. The green dial really looks grey at any quick glance. Maybe because the SS case and bracelet are a bit overpowering for the green? I’m fine with that, if anyone is considering the green vs brown dial on one of these, the brown probably shows up more. Or go with the green dial and green strap to bring the dial out more. I’m a bracelet guy, so doubt I’ll ever swap out the bracelet for a nato style or leather strap unless something happens to the band in the future.

In the same price range is the victornox auto. The victornox has the ETA movement, which would give a smoother sweep and a 40 hr power reserve vs the 80hr of the Hamilton H10. I couldn’t get past the ‘branding strength’ on the victornox dial, and didn’t think the day complication was necessary for me. The Hammy is just a classic, cleaner looking dial. The 24hr inner dial ring is pretty useless to me, but unabtrousive. The size of the numbers on the 24hr register are on the small side, and my eyes don’t pick it up well, unless I have my readers on.

Ordered a band pin tool off eBay for cheap, but wearing the Khaki field loose around the house for now. More later, with a picture or two when I get a chance. Cheers...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.
  6. barbersurgeon

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Spring is coming

[​IMG]

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Again :)[​IMG]

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

gorgo2, wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Quiet here!

Here's a new one, with a Valjoux 7733 chronograph movement inside :)

[​IMG]

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:happy096: Keith. That is a very unique looking watch! I had to check it out. I really like the blue dial and the luminous display. I bet it's a fun watch to wear.

gorgo2 and Keithmax like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It is a good looking watch and unique, but it takes some time to get used too.

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. barbersurgeon

Pulled the trigger on Vaer heritage automatic kickstarter this morning. Christmas present to my self, I guess. Closest I’ll own to a Tudor ranger, I suppose without a lottery largesse... have really wanted a clean no date automatic, and for $300 the Vaer seems like a lot of watch. Plus side is they have a screw down crown, so I’m hoping for some real water resistance, unlike my Hamilton.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...and-rugged-durability?ref=discovery&term=Vaer

Keithmax, gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.
  14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Nice looking watches with solid specs. Wear it in good health! :happy088:
    1.jpg

jimjo1031, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  15. barbersurgeon

jimjo1031, wristwatchb, brit and 2 others like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Got the battery for my $5 goodwill KC. Works fine, comfortable to wear.

20190716_092110_600x800.jpg

As more guys have switched to smart watches, decent timepieces have shown up for peanuts.

jimjo1031, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  17. vittocia

vittocia Active Member

IMG_2726.JPG Swiss army titanium quartz

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Mainspring on my black Caravelle broke; it's 52 years old, so no suprise. A local watchmaker gave me an unexpectedly good price on fixing it plus clean and service.

19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I got this Timex Expedition for Christmas, my first Timex since I was a kid, but wanted a different watch strap. The leather one is OK, but I prefer one that doesn't taper much. Plus a black one in my opinion would look better. So I just got this military style nylon strap to put on. And in case someone notices, I also prefer the strap reversed..................

wwwwwww.jpg

20. barbersurgeon

The Vaer in the field...

upload_2020-1-1_18-9-2.jpeg