What was your Dad's shaving kit?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

What was your Dad's shaving kit? My Dad shaved with a gold Gillette Executive (I have it now in my collection), and Gillette blades. For many years he used Old Spice shaving soap (I have the mug as well). All I can remember about his brush was it was a boar and it had a green handle. He used various aftershaves -- Old Spice, Aqua Velva and Brut. I used to buy him aftershave every Christmas. He was a minimalist; when something ran out, he bought more. I can remember he always enjoyed a good shave.

RyX, MacDaDad, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  2. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

Kinfolks 5/8, Boar brush (always changing he was hard on them), Willimas Soap or Gillette Foamy and Old Spice AS

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My dad's set up was ...
    51EZM0H0u9L._SL1175_.jpg s-l300.jpg Made Rite 12.jpg s-l225.jpg

My Dad's set up now
    adf00dda-974b-4869-a715-6b3e642f7a9d_1.0eb823374413370c91e0f90ab66f7ddf.jpeg c60da682-b939-45c6-875d-5d6ad290c774.png.w960.png

Change due to being 84 and dexterity isn't what it use to be.

Tinmantoo, PastorAndy914, RyX and 6 others like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Norelco electric plug-in.

RyX, MacDaDad, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

My dad used a fatboy. Unfortunately, he threw it away when he discovered disposables.

RyX, MacDaDad, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Pre-War fat-handle Tech (Nickel), later replaced with a Techmatic, and whatever soap we were using (probably, Ivory).

7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Remington electric rechargeable razor with a witch hazel pre shave.

RyX, MacDaDad, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No idea...:(

RyX, Keithmax, MR41 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My dad used a fatboy for years before switching over to a Trac II in the 1970s. He also always used Barbasol.

10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Ball end Old from the '20's and a little boar brush, I have them now. I used to get him Old Spice gift sets for Christmas, so the mug, soap, aftershave, and whatever else came in those is what he used.

MacDaDad, Keithmax, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My dad shaved with a Gillette New Standard Tuckaway or a Schick E3. He did not use shaving cream or soap. He just washed his face and shaved with water.

PastorAndy914, RyX, MacDaDad and 4 others like this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

During the 60's I remember it was a Gillette TTO, most likely a Flair Tip. And he also had a Schick adjustable injector razor. Mostly he used Barbasol, but sometimes Gillette if it was on sale. During the early 70's before he passed away I do remember a twin blade razor, possibly a Trac II. And as always, mostly Barbasol. He did have two straights, but I don't remember him using them. They were possibly used in his early days, or belonged to a friend or relative.

RyX, Keithmax, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  13. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

A few years ago I recreated my dad's shave kit that I remember from the 70s for a Father's day Shave of the Day. As a teenager I liked the new Gillette Trac 2 disposable razors -- they were modern. IMG_20140615_192114_2.jpg

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

preidy, RyX, MacDaDad and 5 others like this.
  14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I know my dad used a DE razor in 1968 because I cut my face (still have the scar) playing with a used blade. He used Schick injectors in the early 70’s and Brut or Aqua Velva back then and still uses AV to this day. At 75, he likes the convenience of goo and disposables. I tried to convert him back to wet shavings but he didn’t stay with it.

15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Ronson electric and Old Spice A/S

16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

My father shaved with a rotary electric (still does), and my grandfather also used an electric, at least when in first world countries. I don't know what he used in Mozambique and Somalia. I own a rotary electric, and use it very occasionally, but decided a long time ago that the DE just gave better shaves.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I remember my dad had a Slim at one point, and lots of Avon a/s (back in the '70s at their peak). Vaguely recall seeing an Old Spice mug but I suspect he used can o' foam even then. He's been Trac II type carts and foam for over 30 years now, and happy with it.

RyX, MacDaDad, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  18. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

What to say about my Dad’s shaving habits? I remember a flare tip or two when I was really young, but he moved to disposable twins and then other cartridges early on. I inherited a flare tip as my first razor, but no instruction whatsoever - I moved to an electric as soon as I could, because my face was a mess!

Dad is a stereotypical Scot, so uses his disposable multi blades until they are pretty much just tearing the whiskers out by the roots - but he always had facial skin like well tanned leather, so never suffered any skin irritation or other problems.

Aftershave was most always whatever mother got him from Avon - he always smelled good. Nowadays his smeller doesn’t work, so he doesn’t care - but he REALLY likes a good balm in the northern Alberta winters. Won’t buy it for himself, so I try to gift him some from time to time.

I’ve turned him on to a nice badger brush in recent years, which he uses intermittently and enjoys. He enjoys a good quality cream if I buy it for him, but otherwise it’s back to the old Barbasol - because that’s what the dollar store carries! The man can pinch a penny and give you change!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    PastorAndy914, RyX, MacDaDad and 5 others like this.
  19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

My Dad shaved with an Aristocrat, c40 boar brush, a mug of Williams or Tabac, and Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer aftershave.

20. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Yup. The pennies from my grandmother had Lincoln screaming on them.

MacDaDad, Keithmax, Jim99 and 2 others like this.