Preferred Shave Bowls & Why?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Biglou, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Captain's Choice bowl shown below. It comes in two sizes (the one below is the smaller size) and many colors. It simply works great.
    March 24, 2017.jpg

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

This bowl is my favorite type, I justed received a Timeless bowl and it's built wonderful. I'll use it tomorrow
    IMG_20180328_133152.jpg

Keithmax, RyX and Enrico like this.
  3. Biglou

Biglou Active Member

I liked all the reviews you gave of the Captain’s Choice Bowl so I ordered one. Just received it today, and although I haven’t used it yet, I really like it. I like the size, the color and it’s just so slick looking. Will have to report back after my first shave.

Oh yeah and I also go some new soap in.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll be buying that bowl in the next week or so when I put in an order for knots. It really is everything I want in a shaving bowl ... durable, travels well, higher sides and work great.

RyX likes this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Here lately I've been using my wife's dye mixing bowl. 211E5ju-5QL.jpg it is the perfect size, it's plastic, nearly indestructible, rubber ring on the bottom to keep from sliding, ridges in the bottom, a handle, a notch to hold brush from rolling or sliding into the lather, and it's like 2 bucks.

6. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

As others have commented, the Turkish ones are great. And cheap. I got mine off eBay. It was kind of cool getting something from Turkey.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  7. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

Becker scuttle. He does beautiful work at a reasonable price.

Keithmax likes this.
  8. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I currently use a "Grinding Bowl" from Daiso. Don't get the small 3.9" one. Try to find the 4.75" size. In store, less than two bucks. Seriously, less than two bucks.
    IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

You got a good deal on that one. Which store? I found that type and quit trying others. It's the best kind for the textured ceramic, wide & shallow shape.

I spent $50 in postage for my genuine Suribachi from Osaka, Japan. There were a couple other items involved since my trading and swap sessions start with one item and end up needing a larger box. His daughter received several pounds of Skittles - not available over there.

Screwtape and Keithmax like this.
  11. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I got it at the San Fransisco, CA store when I was on Vacation last July. I would have gotten more than one, but I was on a "light luggage" plan and had minimal empty space for purchases. I was really surprised that they had it. The on line Daiso website only shows the small size.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_0996.jpg IMG_0997.jpg My two favorites are the Symmetrical Pottery Dottie Bowl and the Aesop bowl. But those wooden bowls look great!

The Dottie Bowl is large and easy to see what the lather is doing and can accomodate big brushes with ease - and it's easy to get great lather. The downsides are that it takes up a lot of space, is breakable, and not particularly cheap.

The Aesop has kind of a cult following about it's ability to make great lather. For the new price, I wasn't going for it but when an as-new one showed up on a BST at a considerable discount I had to give it a try - curiosity is usually my gear acquisition downfall. My experience with this kind of hype is like soap hype, it's maybe 10% true. Well the Aesop does very well! Is it the magical Japanese steel? Nope. Is it the magical brushed finish? Nope. Is it the magical shape? Kind of, it's pretty much the shape of a suribachi bowl and so has steeper sides than many conventional shaving bowls - maybe it works the knot a little differently than a rounder bowl? It's also about a perfect size for resting comfortably in the palm of your off hand, unlike the Dottie Bowl. So there ya have it, it's quite attractive, almost a perfect size and shape for your lathering pleasure, but you could also have someone make you a suribachi bowl that's glazed on the inside for not much. I never liked the idea of my brushes rubbing the unfinished grooved inside of a regular suribachi bowl. And it doesn't break.

Cheers, Steve

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Have tried various and sundry but the only one I ever had for a long time is the green rubber Marvy, which is now a dog food scoop for the hound. What soap I have left is in a heavier insulated version of a red Solo cup (it has a white interior layer). Works fine but then I'm not remotely picky about what I keep my soap in. I do like seeing what others use, though.

14. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Well I can tell you my son’s plastic Paw Patrol bowl didn’t work last night in my hotel room! I gave face lathering a try and it worked fine for all three passes. The brush was a Stirling Tuxedo, loaded with Gentleman.

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

We got us another one!

ordinaryshaver and RyX like this.
  16. Latherin’ Luddite

:happy088:

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I started as a face latherer. Wasn't impressed with the Old Spice mugs except as a soap dish. Taller coffee mugs aren't much better. The shallow but wide shape of a suribachi works well for me. I can soak my brush in it as I'm gathering supplies. Dump the water but the texture hold a fair amount. Load the brush and swirl away in my bowl. It works well for punching the air out of Barbasol canned product. If I use a vintage soap that's lost it's scent I add a couple drops of AS of the day to the bowl as I'm starting the lather.

The suribachi bowls tend to an unglazed textured inner surface. I think it helps incorporate air into the soap / water mix. Can't say as I've noticed any damage to badger, boar, or synthetic brushes.

18. Latherin’ Luddite

Now that I’ve had success with face lathering, I’ll do that when traveling. Just one less thing to pack. At home I enjoy my Jay’s bowl for whipping up a good lather and keeping it warm in the sink.

I packed my son’s bowl because it’s light and durable, but I’d never tested it for lathering.

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

What's a receptacle?

RyX likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Noun; an object or space used to contain something.

Snonyms: container, holder, repository;
    box, tin, bin, can, canister, case, bag