Another SE shave-off

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Apr 3, 2018.

1. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I've got a 1912, and to be honest, at least for me I'd take the Jr, over the 1912.
    I'm going to have to find some better blades.
    I think that may be at least part of the issue.
    I just received my first lather catcher, so I'm going to use that for quite a while, until I get the hang of it, then a good user grade 1914 will be the next hunt.
    Thanks for the newest target, not that I needed any more help with my condition, I mean hobby.

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

(fresh blade, Nivea cooling can o' gel to keep setup the same)​

Plus: It felt like I was shaving with the Rolls. A dead perfect BBS with no nicks. As efficient as can be. I won't need to shave until Sunday at the earliest.

Minus: Again, it felt like I was shaving with the Rolls, but it really shouldn't have. Even with a light touch, I got what felt like chatter. A lot of blade sticks out of the '14 but I cannot recall getting that before. Weird...the hood is down tight, blade stops are intact, the spring holds blade forward firmly, so I don't think anything is wrong with the razor. Very strange.

Gave me a no-foolin' BBS but also mild irritation pretty much all over. Two hours later, after witch hazel and Lucky Tiger, I can still feel it. It's not bad but it's there. Would not repeat this experience if I didn't have to. So at this point, the '14 is 86'd.

Score: C

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

That, IMHO, is the biggest plus for using an SE instead of a DE. They are the DR Brush Mower of shaving
    fab+13.3+fpt+premier+m+s+26in+deck+new+-+50st_r.jpg

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Do you think an open comb SE takes it off better than, say, the NEW?

Keithmax likes this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I love the 1914, but I always felt that there was a very subtle chatter to it. Note that there is nothing wrong with my razor and I’ve always assumed it was just a characteristic of th 1914.

Interesting Gorgo as you’re the only one I’ve ever heard say what I’ve thought about th 14.

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Glad to know it's not just me then. It has got to be the amount of blade sticking out from the hood, maybe combined with non-overhanging stops allows minute chatter? Maybe tightening up that rear spring the other day removed some slop. That's the only thing different.

Weird thing is I don't recall ever getting the chatter before, and the '14 was my go-to SE for a good while.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

After this one, decided to jump to the OCMM next shave.

Jim99 and jmudrick like this.
  8. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I think there's a lot of truth to blade stop differences affecting the shave.

The first 1914 I owned had the smaller, open blade stops. I'd occasionally get a rough shave and could never consistently get good results from it. Picked up a later 1914 about 6 months ago, one with the hook-style blade stops, and it's been BBS ever since.

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Makes perfect sense. If I could get a fine enough dremel wheel or jeweler's saw I'd try an undercut but there's likely no way. Looking at it from the bottom the stops are just stubs not punched all the way through, so there's not enough there to work with.

Keithmax likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

OCMM
    (fresh blade, Nivea cooling can o' gel)​

Plus: Not as heavy as I recall. Weighed barely heavier in the hand as the 1914 with the longer chain link handle I use with it. Also not as aggressive as I recall (or imagined recalling) -- less aggressive than my '14 anyway. Efficient enough, after three careful passes I'm 99% BBS. No nicks or irritation, so that's good.

Minus: Did not get cleanly under the jawline in two passes. Maybe that was me being subconsciously too careful due to the teeth and memories of it biting. In any case, it didn't bite but I did have to go to that area three times.

I find no real fault with the OCMM itself; my perceptions are the issue. It's a quality shaver but, for some reason, I just don't see myself using this except to mow off beards or goatees, which happens maybe once a year. Good razor but it would likely sit there, rarely reached for. Part of it may be that the MM feels more like a tool or surgical implement than just a razor that's actually fun to use ("fun" is not a word that pops to my mind with this one..."effective" and "quality," yes, "fun," no), so probably not a keeper. But again, none of this is the MM's fault.

Score: B

So far the Damaskene is in the lead.

Next up, in a few days: the 1912, then maybe the Rolls.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Jim99, Keithmax and jmudrick like this.
  11. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Interesting read and comparison.
    I certainly agree with the minimalist approach. Less is more.
    If it works it stays if not....
    Personally I really enjoy the GEM MMOC on a regular basis.
    The flip side is that the 1912 is too mild and has left the herd...
    As much as I have tried with the Rolls - to no avail= can not get a BBS if my life depended on it. Blades were sharpened by @twhite

gorgo2 and Keithmax like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

(fresh blade, Nivea cooling can o' gel)​

Plus: Very well balanced on the chunky bakelite handle I've got with it. Fairly smooth but pretty noisy, in the good way.

Minus: Worst thing to say about it is that it took 3 passes to get BBS with the same hard-to-get spots under the jawline (this area is no problem with DEs, injectors or carts). Other than that...fine. Skin feels much more comfortable than with the '14...was not as glassy smooth during the shave as the Damaskene...and was not as efficient as the OCMM (although much lighter). I'm going to have a final shave-off between this one and the Damaskene, differently shimmed, for the top spot.

Score: A-

Jim99 likes this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Gorgo, it really is hard to find much at fault with the 1912.

So far your observations are spot on with my impressions.

gorgo2 likes this.