How I've changed my health....(Long)

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Tiredricefarmer, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's not been as hard as I thought it would be, and it's getting easier.

Keithmax and Paul Turner like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I think I can do those "driveway" walks Friday...supposed to be pretty warm here. Saturday too, but I'll be at the gym that day anyway.

Keithmax and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  3. Tiredricefarmer

Nice! Feels good doesn't it? I'd like to lose another 15 lbs and think I'll eventually get there even though I feel like I've kind of plateaued for now. Been a little hard for me to give up potatoes and rice.

Keithmax likes this.
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Good to know. I made my changes 3 yrs back. After a lifetime of lifting and martial arts I'd hit a point where joint pain was agony every day. I took a decision to shed muscle bulk and change things around a lot. Less of me would mean less joint aggro (mostly knees / hips/ back)

Salt and sugar went out out, and I ate less as I didn't have to pour the fuel in to maintain the weight anymore. Meat consumption dropped as did the need to eat a kilo of pasta at mealtimes. I made the changes slowly over 18 months.

I don't have the absolute strength any more but body is happier being some 10Kgs (20 odd lbs) lighter. I still lift but reset everything downward. After a period getting used to being smaller I'm working on strength stuff again to get things back to sensible levels (such as I think of them) and I ride the bike a few times a week for cardio. Medical last month they called me a "poster boy" in terms of health markers.

Diet-wise I grew up buying, cooking and eating ingredients. Salt was a bit of an issue but mostly for me it was eating loads to get my body to keep a weight that it didn't want to do. Ok when you're younger, not clever when you get a bit older (I'm 53).

Reading your first post you've done all the right things in the right way. It's about sustainable new habits that make you happy not sudden "transformation" that you can't keep up with. End of the day its all in the balance.

Am glad its all worked for you so well but then it was bound to as you've got things right :)

5. Tiredricefarmer

Reading this helps keep me motivated, thanks! Staying motivated is an issue and I find myself rewatching some of the shows from time to time that got me started.

My girlfriend is doing this with me though not to the extreme that I am. She's lost 6 lbs and yesterday morning texted me about how much energy she had. That's the first time I've heard anything like that from her since she had an ablation done in December, so that was exciting and motivating.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Yes, it feels great. I hate think where I would be if I hadn’t made the changes. You may have plateaued, but at a much better level.

Bravo, I was not at the same level as you but I gave up my version of heavy lifting 3 years ago. Several months ago I started picking it back up and working to increase my strength. I have up cycling 5 years ago after having my carbon fiber handle bar snap resulting in a broken collar bone and two surgeries. Now it is lifting, spinning and Zumba. I’m 55, according to my woman, I’m still haven’t matured.

BamaT, KenH and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  7. deniro444

deniro444 Member

God Bless! You are very motivating! Keep it up!

Keithmax and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that you're doing well!

As for the carbohydrates? If you do a lot of heavy work, which is what most people did more than 75 years ago, then carbohydrates aren't your enemy. They're just the enemy of the couch potato :)

I'm definitely glad that what you did was simply smooth out your diet to basically the standard dietician method (As seen by the food chart posted up by .. lots of people over the years), rather than going nuts with a fad.

BamaT and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Fads are so sad...we go from "I'm doing this because everyone is doing it" to "No one does this anymore, why should I?"

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Most.

Congrats to you for sharing truth. Congrats on your victory over the modern world.

BamaT and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

They ate starch mostly. White sugar (refined sucrose) was never intended for human diets.

Tiredricefarmer and Bookworm like this.
  12. Paul Turner

I didn't quite care for my cereal this morning. Thought it would be healthy and nutritious, but too much sugar. No it wasn't Raisin Bran, but close.....All Bran Buds. I'm sticking with the Flakes from AB. A much better balance. I can see it now...in 5 years there will be a cereal called Total Buds. Neaupe, not for me

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  13. kerrywentling

kerrywentling New Member

You need to take care of your health throughout your life because old age will certainly remind you of how you neglected it in your youth. My mother always worked very hard because we had a low-income family, and it was necessary to provide normal food and clothing. Now she is 70, and her health is in a terrible state. It became difficult for me to take care of her, but I didn't want my mother to live in a nursing home. We rebuilt our house for an older person's needs and hired a nurse for a couple of hours a day to do our own business. But Mom will live with us as long as I'm alive.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Welcome!
    Your statement renders your avatar a bit ironic. ;)

15. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I’m so glad that I stumbled on this thread. As soon sit here in my hospital room at 57 years old, in rethinking heath.

I’m checking out in a few hours after having 12” of my sigmoid colon removed 2 days ago. Recovering well so far.

Perfect example of what the OP is saying…in general, we are ABSOLUTELY what we ingest.

Once I hit my teens and got a job, through my 50’s, pretty much ate whatever I wanted without much thought. This is definitely one of several possible bad results.

Think about what you put in your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. swarden43

Just FYI, this thread started back on 2018.

17. jwr3265

So? My commentary has no value?

Enrico likes this.
  18. swarden43

Sorry. Of course it has value.
    I was in a hurry and didn't think my post through. My intention was to let folks know so they wouldn't be expecting a response from most of the folks who have posted as they might be inactive.

Please accept my apologies.

Aztecmike likes this.
  19. jwr3265

No apologies necessary. I just think the topic has no expiration.

Enrico, BamaT and Aztecmike like this.
  20. Tiredricefarmer

Been a while since I was on here and I should really give an update. Too be honest, I had a 3 month run where in October I had a severe case of bronchitis. In November I got Covid and apparently there’s a strain that effects your GI tract which is what I had (lucky me), it was horrible and put me in the emergency room. In December I caught a severe stomach virus that was almost as bad as my Covid experience. I say all that to say this, my diet has slipped. I live alone and sometimes it’s hard to stay focused and on track especially when you’re sick. However, I’m still mindful of what I’m eating and the junk food is kept at a minimum. I’m back to working out every other day and I’m down 10 lbs. and feeling pretty good. I realize it’s ok to slip as long as you stay focused. It’s been a good journey and I intend to keep going.

Enrico, MoAllen and BamaT like this.