The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I've been moving up to 25 seconds muhself.

Yehuda D likes this.
  2. PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL Active Member

Completed the 15 swirl experiment and it was a success. I had enough lather for a 3 pass shave + cleanup.

Here is the initial lather before pass 1 WTG
    [​IMG]

And here is how it looked after pass 1 was complete and I had rinsed my face and applied for the start of pass 2 XTG
    [​IMG]

And here is the lather after pass 2 after I rinsed my face and applied the lather for final pass 3 XTG the other way
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind that I favor a thin and watery lather on purpose. But I can conclude that 20 swirls is sufficient for most chaps to achieve a comfortable 3 pass shave + clean-ups

Hopefully I can get somebody else to give it a try and to be "a good sport". Anyone? Im not really understanding the apprehension amongst you to just do one shave with 15 swirls. What are you so afraid of?

Gnomeo0228, Yehuda D, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  3. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

I use it with one of those “puffies”. Works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. PumperNickel-BageL

How long do you have to load the soap on the poof?

5. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

In the interest of full disclosure, I don’t know if my numbers would be representative of a normal persons’ since I’m quite a heavy loader with both shave and bath soap. I typically load the poof for about 30 seconds, but this gives me a ridiculous amount of lather, one could probably get away with 15 or less. I give the back brush maybe 20 seconds worth. Again, probably only need about half that. I just like lots of thick lather and the fabulous scent. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. PumperNickel-BageL

Cool

Now I have a new experiment. How many strokes does it take to load the Stirling Bar Soap. For my experiment I will be using a Japanese Salux towel cut in half. I may end up cutting it into 4ths since it is so long but for now let us see how I get on with half.

This is a time and motion study. In my mock presentation I counted 15 loading strokes in 10 seconds. So that is where I will begin. Will do 2 experiments: One for a normal full body shower and one for a hooker shower ( armpits, genitalia, butt and feet)

Does anyone want to make a prediction?

Yehuda D and Edison Carter like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It’s not apprehension, it’s that after somewhere in the ballpark of a thousand Stirling shaves, I have concluded that I like more soap in my brush than you do on yours.

I also sort of reject swirl counting or set loading time. What size brush? What type of hair? How dense? Face lather or bowl? Straight or SE? What brand of soap? In a hurry Tuesday, or leisure Sunday? Too many variables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Also depends on how much pressure you put on the brush while loading. If you really splay the brush you can load as much soap in 10 seconds as someone who is loading with just the tips in a minute.

9. Paul Turner

I've been doing it the latter way of late(but not for so long as a minute).

10. PumperNickel-BageL

I dont splay the brush too hard with Stirling, the soap is so soft.

Here are the results of todays bath bar experiment. I used half of a Salux towel and loaded 15 strokes (1 stroke means a full motion up and then a full motion back down like "sounds like: chick, chick"

This gave me only enough soap to lather my upper body before I ran out of suds. Tomorrow I am going to try with only 25% of a Salux towel and will bump it up to 20 strokes.

I have been using Stirling Bay Rum bath bar

Paul Turner, Yehuda D and Linuxguile like this.
  11. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Mail call!
    20180419_210727.jpg

Current stash 20180419_210825.jpg

12. Paul Turner

Congratulations to the Barbershop Shave soap, as it now has over 200 reviews on Rod&Mandy's website.

Gnomeo0228 and Edison Carter like this.
  13. PumperNickel-BageL

Ironically I shaved with Barber Shop this morning. For me it is not one of my favorites from Stirling. I dont like the powder note (I have an aversion to Baby powder for some reason) and also I dont care for Vanilla and I can smell both of those notes strongly with Barber Shop soap from Stirling. I also do not like the Sharp Dressed man soap or the Agar.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

15. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

I have not smelled Creed virgin island water, so no comparison there.

However I have tried Silver mountain water, Aventus and GIT. I found all Stirling equivalents very close, so i assume it's a good imitation.

Smells kind of like a Pina colada mixed with a fresh aquatic scent. I like it! Very tropical.

Linuxguile and Edison Carter like this.
  16. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I received my shipping notification today so Island Man will be here in a week. This is the first I’ve read about it being another Creed homage. I really like Aventus and GIT, and my wife likes Silver Mtn, so now I’m really curious where Island Man fits into the scheme of things.

As long as it doesn’t smell like mold! :D

Edison Carter and Gnomeo0228 like this.
  17. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

If it helps, my fiance loves Executive man and said she likes Island Man. She says SDM smells clean and is okay.

She does not like Mountain Man but doesn't hate it either. Shame as it's my favorite.

PLAla and Edison Carter like this.
  18. Gnomeo0228

Gnomeo0228 Well-Known Member

If this is true, I NEED it lol!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

19. Gnomeo0228

This was me with Gentleman

20. Gnomeo0228

Thus seems about right for me too.... but I hardly count. I just load it like I hate it lol. But we all know how much I love Stirling