The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

A wash rag really helps to build a good lather.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

2. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I'm currently auditioning some samples of Stirling Mountain Man and WSP Matterhorn (soap and AS). Both a nod to Creed Silver Mountain Water. One will be the next addition to my rotation.

The Stirling performs excellent, as expected, but don't sleep on WSP soaps. Very solid results from Wet Shaving Products. I'm figuring I have 2-3 weeks or so on each sample, and will need all of that to determine a winner.

And I'm squarely in the, "Love the scent!" camp for Mountain Man. I'm starting to see a cologne-based scent pattern with my soaps and AS.

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Agree 100%. And when you Super Goop your lather, loading time sort of becomes irrelevant anyway. It’s ready when it’s ready.

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

5. Paul Turner

I';m beginning to see a tiny bit of the "football field"(bottom)of the Barbershop soap, but the "stands" are still crowded!

6. Paul Turner

I need to learn to regain my confidence in Mtn. Man. I read a review from another site that the Creed Silver Mtn. Water can be used by men and women alike....course that made me think of my Rise Super Foam, which has been described at Risegrooming.com as ALSO a unisex product. And I love dat Rise, as we all know.

7. Paul Turner

And now we're at page 255 :))

8. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    That's an awesome analogy, Paul!

9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

As far as this sort of thing goes, I'm not convinced that any of the Stirling scents can do anything other than determine the motorcycle seating assignment. Front, back, or maybe Sidecar for a few.
    :scared003:
    :transport016:

10. PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL Active Member

I did another experiment with the Stirling Bar Soap today using 25% of a Salux towel and this time 20 strokes. (1 stroke = an up + down movement).

I was able to complete the full body but it was way too tight. Tomorrow will try with 30 strokes. I think that may be the magic number. I like to economize but at the same time I need enough lather to wash comfortably. And "time is money" also....therefore I am trying to complete the shower faster than my normal 10 minute shower and I brush my teeth in there too (And wash the face of course)

My Salux towel is starting to fray at the sides because I cut it into 4 pieces. That may not have been a smart idea, stand by......... I will advise how it fares over the next few days. On Amazon people said they cut the towel and did not mention the fraying. We shall see. The towels sell for 3 for 10$ so its not the end of the world even if I destroyed mine since I have a 3 pack

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  11. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I'd somewhat agree with the statement that Mountain Man is a unisex scent. It's a fresh, clean, CRISP scent that could be worn by a woman I suppose, but seems much more apropos for a man.

Well, I had to cut the showdown short.

After a few uses the WSP Matterhorn really started to irritate my skin. Even though I prefer the scent profile of Matterhorn over Mountain Man just a teensy bit more, I can't get past the irritation. To the gratification of all supporting this thread, I do declare STIRLING MOUNTAIN MAN the winner and next addition to my den!

Just to show I'm an equal opportunity soaper, the same thing happened with Stirling SDM. It caused irritation I couldn't get past and I settled on WSP Gaelic Tweed.

12. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Glacial Black Cherry and Glacial Unscented balm for tomorrow!

13. PumperNickel-BageL

Bath bar experiment attempt 3 was a success with the 25% Salux Cloth and 40 strokes. Although you could "get by" with 30 strokes it would take longer to build the lather on the body because of a lack of bar soap on the cloth.

There is also visual clues that the lather is ready so a person would just need to do the "counting" maybe one or 2 times to know that the Salux cloth is supposed to look like when enough soap has been loaded onto it.

Note that the lather built is not "an explosion" or "clouds of lather" either. Since the bar soap does not contain SLS it does not do the artificial lather thing that you may be accustomed to if you use body washes. But there is a thin layer of lather that coats the skin and it does a good job of cleaning and leaves a nice scent.

The bar is of good quality. I have used commercial soaps like Dial where I would wash my stinking armpits after a long day of yard work and after rinsing it off the armpit still had a stink odor. But not the case with Stirling bath bar it gets the "stank" out with one pass even if you havent showered in 2 days.

I also used the shampoo bar for the first time today and it was really great, We will wait and see if it helps with my dandruff. The Rosemary-Mint is a real treat.

Today was my first shave with the Lil Brudder brush. It was very nice but I loaded it with 16 swirls (The way I do with Stirling 2 band tuxedo) and had to go back to the puck after pass 1. Looks like the little brudder brush does not pick up as much soap from the puck as the larger Tuxedo does and has a little less backbone so its going to need more swirls maybe 25. This is not to say that it is using more soap in the end, it probably uses less soap overall since it is smaller.

Edison Carter and Yehuda D like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

Considering you are enjoying the experiment side of this, do you have a scale? I would be curious to see how much soap you are actually picking up from the puck, and how much it varies between brushes.

The way I like a brush to feel, the amount of soap used can vary close to four grams between my smallest to largest brush. Plus a twenty mm synthetic and a twenty mm Simpson badger can vary a lot in the amount of soap needed to perform well.

How much soap I need on my face for a good shave remains fairly constant. How much soap I need worked into my brush in order for it to perform the way I like it, is the variable.

Edison Carter likes this.
  15. PumperNickel-BageL

Hi, The scale I have would not be accurate enough for micro-measurements of a few grams. But what I CAN tell you is how many days I can make the bar soap last since I will be using it daily. I think others get around 30 days from 1 bath bar I think and I am assuming this is with rubbing the bar directly on the skin and full body shower (minus face and hair)

So lets see how it goes.

16. PickledNorthern

If it interests you, these type of digital scales can be purchased for just a few bucks on the Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. Paul Turner

I'm putting the Sandpiper A.S. to work this week..3, maybe 4 days.

18. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Great aftershave I have it and soap. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I enjoyed this shave from the Glacial Black Cherry soap so much - the freeze from it felt like the Garden of Eden. The Glacial Unscented balm and the Arctique were just as delightful!

20. Paul Turner

I guess that was kinda sneaky of me, wasn't it? :D

Edison Carter likes this.