An odd question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by aelfred.t.allspa, Feb 25, 2016.

1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Pay close attention, fellas. Californians are trendsetters when it comes to style. :happy102:

2. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries. men uses floral scents heavily to counter BO. So your barber would douse you in stink pretty after a haircut and or a shave. Personal hygiene wasn't considered necessary on a regular basis. Fast forward over 100 years, I believe personal hygiene has been proven to be VERY practical. We have so many choices before us one does not know what to try to impress the fair sex. I really love floral and "ladies" aromas for myself as well. I have to have my Veg on a regular basis!!! I like talcs , another old school product. Yes, these are good times, we are blessed.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The Veg - that's a feline scent, not a feminine scent. :D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Yes, and it is never too early to learn good habits.

1.gif

RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Shafer Springs

Shafer Springs New Member

A lot of men lean towards some of the floral scents like lavender, lilac, and jasmine, especially when they're paired up with a mid/base note like cedarwood, patchouli, clary sage, etc.

Lavender is an interesting one as it's only fairly recently that we've begun associating it with old ladies, as it used to be a legit "manly" fragrance.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I love everything citrus, and some fruit scents. I am not a big fan of berry, but I have a pineapple scent that is awesome. I like citrus, especially when I am working, because it is clean and fresh, but doesn't leave me smelling like I am on the prowl, which is a little weird when you show up on the jobsite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

First off, I love floral scents as well. Especially in spring time and Summer. As many have mentioned... Those were the "manly" scents back in the day. I find that I like a lot of other scents as well, and that...compared to others...I have a very wide range I enjoy.

Use what you like. Who cares? None of us will likely ever be in your shave den anyway.

Shave soaps "geared for women" really have little (or more often NO) differences to them, so they will do the job just fine.

Strawberry bubbly by Stirling is freaking amazing. It is geared towards women, and I really feel that was/is a mistake since many men would probably buy it as well. With one of my collegiate degrees being marketing... I can promise you that they are alienating an entire sex and losing money because of it. Stirling offers many floral and sweet scents which are fantastic.

I enjoy mama bear's soap florals. Lily of the valley and rose ice are my favorites, but she has a lot of nice ones. Tobs coconut, avocado, jermyn street, and rose scents are terrific. Truefitt and Hill 1805 is a VERY popular floral scent.caties bubbles puts out several top notch soaps with phenomenal floral avents like jardin d'or, la rose du mechant and more. Maggards has several sweet and floral scents that are popular (i like their green apple). The strop shoppe has one called midnight in the garden that is just killer! I could seriously go on and on...but rather than doing that, I will give you a short list of soap conpanies to check out that are A) top quality soaps, and B) have sone if the best floral and sweet scents.

Stirling, mama bear, TOBS, penhaligons, maggards, klar, truefitt and hill, caties bubbles, mikes natural soaps, mystic waters, barrister and mann, van yulay, and L & L grooming.

Great list of florals. This would be an excellent place to start your shopping list at.

Were truer words ever spoken?
    Im hoping he means TSD, but yes...the asian plum is excellent.

This is a very insightful and poignant quote. In studying languages and communication, this exact same issue came up (not with soaps, of course, but gender assignment). There are no "female" or "male" scents...just what you like. Florals are nature's clean and freshness.

twhite likes this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I really don't know the difference between male and female scents. Scents are either pleasant or unpleasant. If it is pleasant it is heavenly and if it's unpleasant then it just stinks.

twhite likes this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Try telling that to my wife. I made some AS with Patchouli and Lavender. She says i smell feminine. I added a bit more Patchouli oil to fix it. I really like it, to bad for her.

Whatever you like is all that matters. To an extent if you are married though. You dont want to sleep in the dog house too often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robyflexx and PickledNorthern like this.
  10. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

The nose likes what the nose likes. If you like a scent, regardless of what it might be, then enjoy it. The scent of a shave soap, bath soap or body wash are generally gone within minutes anyway.

11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Ok - true confessions. I take baths using her bubble bath. But I drink bourbon while I take the bath. I call it having a "B & B" - Bourbon and Bath.

12. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

I don't, the cost savings can be interesting to consider as some stuff can hit 30$ for a 3 ounce bottle of hair wash these days. On the other end, Perhaps you could use some clubman and end any free samples from a need based perspective?
    Back in college I hang out with a few cigar smokers, and the odd guy next door felt anything manly was offensive, so went about leaving me a bar of soap at my suite door for a few months in an attempt to "have me freshen up from cigar smoke".

I believe the quote is "no one cares if you wear high heels and a sun dress as long as your 6'5", 300 lbs and carry a paving brick in your hand bag"

The scent of manly and female-e has changed dramatically over the years. Rose water, geranium, etc were manly scents. And were feminine as well. I guess until the 1900s it boiled down to "did it make you stink better or worse after being applied?"
    And the scent industry admits the majority of mens scents are actually made for sale to women.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Well not sure it for woman, but Route 66 "Sweeny Todd" has a fruity aroma. Stirling Orange Chill is real fruity - although a one trick pony scent wise.

14. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

I love fruity and floral scents, it's nice to break out of the stereotypical manly man musky stuff. It just smells more refreshing to me. I have lots of lavender, lilac, orange, lemon, coconut stuff. Stirling South Padre is my favorite in the sweet floral department.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Active Member

I'm a lady and love Trumper's Violet shave cream.

brit, Paul Turner and CarlfromMO like this.
  16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

However the menthol in Orange Chill is rather intense - for me anyway. However the scent is great - just like a fresh peeled orange.

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

In college, I took a course called Psychology of Personality. Self-actualization was a big part of most of the lecture/discussions.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’m with all of you. Scents do not really have a gender. It is all about the marketing, but that’s not your problem. Use whatever scents you like.

19. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Being that it is a purple color has it ever stained your shaving brush knot hairs?. I have heard of that happening.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Everyone, alternatively, can just wear Veg and call it a day. ;)

wristwatchb and RyX like this.