Amazon Prime Going Up Again

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by stingraysrock, Apr 26, 2018.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Happy Thursday From Florida!

So, I have been a member of Amazon Prime since 2008. When I joined, the price was $79.00 a year. The price was raised a few years ago to $99.00 a year, and now they are going to $119.00 per year .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...-raise-prime-membership-in-us-to-119-from-99/

My question to you is; will you stay, or will you go?

I don't know what I will do at this moment. I use the streaming audio quite a bit, and try to use the streaming video too, although a lot of the available content kind of sucks... I have some pictures stored on their cloud drive that were taken when I had a Fire Phone, but I am not attached to those pictures.

I use the two-day shipping somewhat frequently, but the reality is that while the shipping arrives about two days after it ships, that does not mean if I order today or tomorrow that the items will arrive in two days; it can take many days after ordering to ship.

So anyway, for those of you that are on Prime, when the price goes up, what do you say; will you stay or will you leave

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL Active Member

I share mine with a family member so we each pay 50$. I dont like to see the price increase but I order alot of stuff from them and need it inside of the 2 day prime speeds. I dont think too many people will quit over the 20$ but maybe if they make it 150$ then I think we would see many people discontinue it.

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

You can raise your price and lose a small percentage of customers and still make more money. The price will continue to go up until a large percentage of customers quit.

I’m not a Prime user and things I order are almost always received in a timely fashion even choosing the “slower” free shipping. I’m amazed that packages have arrived on Sundays. And as you mentioned, the shipping time refers to time in transit and doesn’t start when you order so the important thing is when the product goes out the door.

Reread your comment; “a lot of the available content kind of sucks...”

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hmm... that’s a 20% increase year over year.

Let’s see... when’s the last time you received a 20% raise?

I’ll reconsider my Prime membership on principle.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Just saw the news and am not sure.

I stream some audio, but that is available anywhere. The video is nice, but yeah the content is limited.

Free shipping is nice, but is it worth $10 a month to me? Dunno.

6. brit

brit in a box

i don t use amazon enough to justify it.i use it for some products but tend to use the original vendor when possible.

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I use Prime shipping all of the time and Prime Video is also a regular part in our household. It's cheaper than cable. Don't like the increase, but I am not quitting it yet.

Tiredricefarmer and GatorJoe like this.
  8. PumperNickel-BageL

Yes, Im sure Jeff Bezos did his research and realized very few birds would leave the flock over the extra 20 bucks. And the ones that did leave would be people that did not buy enough product to justify the price increase so it would not make too much impact on Amazons profits (Plus those people that quit Prime would later have to buy over 25 bucks per order in the future and end up spending even MORE money by purchasing things they dont even need just to get over the 25 dollar minimums.

Amazon is really getting less and less competitive and resting on their laurels lately. They have put enough brick and mortar shops out of business and I think the strategy is that after shuttering up the main brick and mortars that they wont be dropping their prices so low after that because they will have already destroyed their competitors.

If the government would drop the sales tax on retail stores than they would have been able to compete with Amazon but in effect the Government helped Amazon like in a game of football when one player runs in front of the quarterback and prevents the other team from tackling him.

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I'll continue. It's not the two day shipping that sells me on the service, but the free shipping. If you purchase non-prime items, shipping can get quite expensive. On many smaller items, shipping costs can approach or even exceed the cost of the item. Free shipping allows me to purchase a wider range of items, often at considerable savings (though you have to be careful, some items are not a bargain).

I order my diabetes supplies at substantial savings over drug-store prices, which by itself covers my membership.

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I gave up my Prime membership last year after I had trouble with Amazon Logistics shipping. Don't plan to go back until AMZL can ship packages to my PO Box. I can still get free shipping on most items I order through Amazon. I rarely need an item in two days, so the two-day shipping is not a big deal for me.

I'll go to the Red Box for my videos. ;)

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Our Prime service covers the 2 of us and we use it a lot, in addition to using Prime video. So we will probably stay with it.

12. PumperNickel-BageL

I went into settings and changed my membership to "Cancel, do not automatically renew"

I am bluffing (of course) but I think we should all do it. Amazon will get scared and may back-peddle and remove the extra $20 charge.

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That’s actually worth a try.

Bama Samurai and KenH like this.
  14. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I’m going to do that too. I honestly don’t even know when I expire.

15. Latherin’ Luddite

Well I just learned that I don’t expire until Feb 2019, so I have a while to decide if I’m quitting or not.

16. Latherin’ Luddite

A fifth season of Bosch is coming. I’m for sure sticking around for that!

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

My membership is up May 17.

Decided not to renew right now. I don't use much of the streaming media during the summer. Walmart has free 2 day shipping too.

wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. PumperNickel-BageL

My idea is that if you change the setting to "Do not renew" that Amazon will get scared and probably offer you a discount but if you just leave it to auto-renew you are sending the message "I dont care about the price increase, no problemo"

I put a reminder on my calendar that 48 hours before it would expire that I will turn the auto-renew back on. But on second thought may as well let it expire and leave it expired maybe for a week and see what Amazon offers me. May have to "sweat them out" if they want to play hardball.

This is hardcore negotiation strategies.

19. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I read about this last week but the article I read gave no justification for the price increase. If they are going to add more current streaming content I would understand and be okay with it. For the most part I’ve always found Prime to be a scam, especially up here in Alaska. Two day shipping pretty much never happens, which I understand, but if you want to watch any current movies you have to pay extra. Fortunately I like watching bad movies so their content is okay but I’d still like to be able to watch current movies from time to time too. Netflix content isn’t much better.
    The wife likes a bunch of the Amazon shows and uses them for audio books too so I assume we’ll be staying with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm staying, we have Alexa and shes pretty cool, music, movies, sorta and great shipping.