Rolls Traveler

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I just recieved a rolls traveler I won on the bay for $14 shipped.
    Pics were limited, directly from above.
    Title was "Vintage Rolls Razor Shaving Kit" and the description was "BEST SHEFFIELD STEEL----CS140371---IN GOOD SHAPE".
    I'm sad to say no handle was shipped, I assumed it was tucked away in it's place in the pic. 1. is it the screw together or collapsible hande? 2. anyone got an extra handle? 3. Would you just return it?

Pics were top/bottom closed and this:
    s-l500.jpg

riffin likes this.
  2. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Bummer that there was no handle with your Rolls.

If it were me, I'd keep it and look for another with a cracked hone or toasted strop. They go for very cheap on the bay. Between the two partial sets you should be able to put together one very nice complete set.

Paul76 and Jim99 like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

If the set is in good shape and you’re just missing the handle, I would do what @pisces_0 suggests and find a cheap set just for the handle.

Paul76 likes this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

@Jayaruh , before I venture back into that antique shop for their Rolls sets (I always end up buying more stuff than I planned for), does the Rolls shave similar to a Kampfe / Star wedge or equivalent? I know you’ve tried 100s of razors. Just curious.

Jayaruh likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If you have a good blade, the shave is incredibly smooth. I was very surprised. I have had a Rolls for years, but the only blade I had was defective. I tried sharpening it, but my hone was cracked in several places. Anyhow, I could not get it shape enough to shave. I tugged a bunch. So, when I got a new blade, I was very, very surprised at how well it shaved. I have been shaving with Heljestrand and Henckels wedges, and they are great tool. It is just so cool to shave with wedges.

Paul76 and Jim99 like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I have one. PM me.

7. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

To get a better edge you can use a hone progression that is normally used on a straight, you just have to find the measurement of space between the spine and the hone and tape accordingly. I’ve been starting to look for spare blades for mine. A994D68E-D870-41A9-AAF3-4B1FCB6D1346.jpeg

riffin likes this.
  8. riffin

riffin Active Member

How do you measure the space between the spine and hone? Thanks!

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    You can use a feeler gauge. Also, notebook paper is about .003 inch thick. You can use layers of paper to determine the approximate distance.

Paul76 likes this.
  10. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

I have a small machinists ruler that I used. Or if you have a feeler guage that would work better.

11. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

If you don’t have a feeler guage or something similar you could put tape on it and see if it rubs if not add a layer. Just make sure that it does not get in the way of the spike that hold the blade in.

12. riffin

riffin Active Member

What would be rubbing, or not rubbing? I assume we want to shim it until the bevel lays flat on the a surface. I.e. the front edge of the blade touches the flat surface, and so does the back edge of the bevel. Thanks!