June 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2018.

?

What was your first razor when you saw the light?

1. Weishi/Van der Hagen/ Microtouch

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Gillette TTO (Super Speed, Aristocrat)

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. Gillette Adjustable

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Cheap 3 piece or TTO found online or in a store

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  5. SE of some kind

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. Straight razor - because I was manly like that

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, and was given a razor.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  8. I was eating a cookie, minding my own business, woke up with no memory of the first shave.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to June 2018!!! June is typically a month without a theme, but.....after some discussion back in April among the group and the interest in having a monthly theme of “drug store” or “basic” gear, I've decided we'll have JUST THE BASICS JUNE!!! Yeah, I hear a few of you asking what in the world that is. Well, think about the razors/soaps/brushes you find in drug stores, discount stores, dollar stores – or that you would expect a rookie to find and start out with. That's the stuff we're talking about. More in a minute....but let's get to the heart and soul of this group.

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. If you want to play along with the theme....great! We usually have a lot of fun with that. But, if you are on a Rule or Focus that doesn’t include the theme we’re totally fine with that. Most of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’!

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Well-seasoned member are, of course, always welcome!
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. This thread is operated for your edification by the Russian Blade Cartel – no, we're not Russian, nor do we actually have a real Cartel (that we'll admit to in the presence of law enforcement) but we do love Russian steel! (and Vodka) And recommend it. And shed tears of joy when others sing its praises!
    7. The Yakuza branch of the Cartel are also active and not to be messed with. Their love of Feathers and things like straights, shavettes and other assorted items is to be respected. (At least pretend you like them. It makes them happy).

Let's have some great shaves people! Just the Basics June is here!!! Come on in, grab some cookies and let's get started! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Looking forward to another month of fun! I'm in!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I love it I'm in this month sorry for being a bit MIA last month a lot of traveling and a little bit of being sick but I'm back!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll be in again! My focus this month is to continue with soap reduction. I will finish off the Jeeves Bay Rum and then continue and finish some Stirling samples - Grapefruit, Iced Pineapple, and Lemon Chill. Not sure I'll finish all of those off this month but will give it a go. I also have a Mike's Coconut that may be a titanic candidate. I'll continue with Mitchell's Wool Fat on Fridays as usual.

I'll use whatever razor strikes my fancy with some continued focus on the Supply injector. Need to try the sensitive and aggressive plates on it for the full experience.

Anyway, looking forward to another fun month!

5. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

A focus on my new Gillette Tech!

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Until the Rex gets here ill be using my Game Changer and then I'll give the Rex a good focus putting it through all its paces. Ill make a slight diversion for my birthday using my birth year BB and hopefully make a big dent in my Cella frankensoap and Jeeves Bay Rum, working in some other goodies along the way!

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Happy to be continuing the "30" -)

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You did Jeeves BR all last month, right?

9nein9, Primotenore, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

An interesting idea for a focus; there's no way I won't be in. To be honest, pretty much my whole den qualifies. Let's see... I have no particularly unique soaps or creams and the most exotic one I have is Der Vergulde Hand. My brushes are from VdH, Razorock, and various China vendors. My razors are mostly low-bid vintage or inexpensive modern. That really just leaves blades and, to be honest, I could live with VdH, Dorco, German WS, and the few others I can scrounge locally.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Count me in for June. I'll skip the "Just The Basics June" and follow @jluc Jim idea this morning of "Just for Fun June" instead. My year long focus will continue to be using up some soaps. Thus far I have used up 6 and added 2 for a net reduction of 4. I have 3 more soaps/creams that are on the way out. Not sure I will complete any this month because I want to mix in a greater variety. Brushes for the month will continue to be a rotation of my brushes in no particular order. I have a new both a Delta Echo New SC and a Karve D Plate on the way that I plan on using a good bit as well. Looking forward to following along with the shenanigans for the month as well.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm in! Think I'll take a break from DE's and use my injector SE's for a spell. All my current ones have blades of unknown number of uses so I'll run through them to see what's fit to shave. Thanks to The Spring Time TSD Raffle a new to me cased Schick type M-1 is on the way. Online tracking FTW! Plenty of low priced soaps & AS's to choose from, too. I'd expect an Arko/Veg combo to happen somewhen during the month. ;)

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Glad things are settling down for you! Life happens....then we regroup here!

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'm in for a Just For Fun June.

14. Linuxguile

Every third shave

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I will continue this year focus on reducing my absurdly large stock of soap and creams. This focus showed me just how long these soaps last and that I have way to many. It has lead to me to want to just keep my top performers in the den.

Now kicking of June with the first shave:

The more I used the P.160 it was fine with DE or SE but a little less slickness than I need for a straight or shavette so I decided to add a little AoS tallow to the mix. Now I think I can go on and finish this tub. The Brian Brown hits a sweet spot for me in straights, 7/8 and half hollow, if only it had a smile too.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

Razor: Brian Brown 7/8 half hollow
    Strop: Dry Gulch black latigo
    Brush: Yaqui silver tip
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: P.160 + AoS tallow
    AS: Enhanced Florida Water AS, Edwin Jagger ASB
    Scent: Zoologist Dragonfly

IMG_9540.jpg

brit, Drygulch, FaceScraper and 12 others like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Keith!

Drygulch, 9nein9, Primotenore and 4 others like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have most of my gear together for Just the Basics/Just for Fun June. I'm going to stay with four razors, including the VDH I started with. Three brushes, all boars. The VDH that came in my first kit along with the kit, the Omega Pro 48 that was my first "real" brush, and the Omega 10066 that became my daily brush for quite awhile. Soaps - VDH Luxury as shown in the picture, along with VDH Deluxe that will be arriving on Saturday. Also Proraso, which was the first "real" soap I bought. Blades? Why some dollar store Personnas, of course, along with Voskhod (my first 30DC blade) and some carbon blades to go back in time with. I'm not saying this is everything I'll use, or that I won't get distracted by shiny stuff or new soap samples or things like that, but here's the basic idea.

June gear.JPG

brit, Keithmax, Drygulch and 15 others like this.
  18. Linuxguile

Nice lineup Neal!

19. Linuxguile

Nice shot Keith! How y do you like the Yaqi silver tip?

20. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I'm in for a Just Shaving June. I will finish using up the Vitos shaving cream and continue with seeing how many shaves I can get out of a Personna injector blade and Gillette Trac II and SensorExcell carts. Beyond that, I will just enjoy using random gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.