So, how long has it been, since you stopped using Cartridge Razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jun 1, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

For me, it's been 4 1/2 glorious years since I've kicked the Cartridge Razors to the curb. I haven't used one since. I've progressed from DE to Injectors, back to DE, and finally Straight razors, for almost 2 years.
    My skin health has never been better.

RyX, Ijustmissedthe50s, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I haven’t picked up a cartridge razor since January 2015 and I’m never going back!

RyX, DaltonGang, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I love the variety of razors that I have and my shaves are now enjoyable. Oh, did I mention the quality of the shaves? Nothing short of excellent!

RyX, DaltonGang and cliffb599 like this.
  4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I started this shaving odyssey about 2 yrs ago this last Valentine's Day. I was almost solely an electric razor user since 16 yrs of age. I only used a cartridge razor in US Navy Boot Camp and when I'd let my growth grow long enough that my electric (Norelco) would pull out hairs instead of cutting them. I switched when a friend at work suggested it. I have never been happier with my shave, since. I shave nearly everyday (whether I need to or not :) ). I have been "collecting" along the way. I have way, way too much gear and supplies. Too much to even will to my boys, give to my brothers or give away, period. Future archeologists will be digging up my stuff long after California has fallen into the sea (could be tomorrow; but whatever). It will be like finding 3000 year old clay pots in Greece. But, I digress. So, did I mention that I haven't been happier with my shave since switching to this method? My face has never felt better.

RyX, DaltonGang, john zeiger and 3 others like this.
  5. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

While I still use carts on vacation because it is just easier (no canned goo however - I use a shave stick on vacation), I switched to a DE 3 years ago and only use a DE at home. I really enjoy the DE shaves much more and I get better shaves as well with the DE razors.

6. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I started using DE razors 4 years ago. I started because I kept getting ingrown hairs and I did not like spending so much money on cartridges. I haven't saved much money (or no money), but my face sure does feel a lot better. I tried using a cartridge when I traveled a couple of times because I didn't want to deal with finding blades when I reached my destination, but it did not work out well, so now I have to go through the trouble of getting my razor checked by TSA every time I fly.

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

5 1/2 years for me. I started the switch about 6 years ago.

RyX, DaltonGang, john zeiger and 3 others like this.
  8. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I stoped using cartage razors in 1982 and have never looked Back.
    I love my every other day shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, RyX, PanChango and 6 others like this.
  9. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

Over 4 years for me. Thanks to Rick at Pawn stars and the DE he was promoting. I couldn’t sleep one night and I saw his commercial. I was out of carts and waiting for my electric razor to return from Hawaii as I left it there from a surf trip. One night I couldn’t sleep, saw Rick’s commercial, did some searching on amazon and the rest was history. No turning back here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, RyX, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  10. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

I switched to DE in the spring of 2013 and haven't used a cartridge razor since then. My first DE was a Muhle R89. It was sold around a year later as I began to acquire various Gillette razors.

11. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I started DE shaving about 10 years ago, used a cart a few times here and there but its rare.

12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I never fell in the cart hole, although I did use free ones that came in the mail. Can't get a decent trim next to a sideburn or mustache with those things, and only a loon would buy those refills! You could get a whole bag full of throwaway razors for less than a buck at Walmart, and be set for a year!

I too saw the pawn shop guy and went and dug out my old man's razors, ordered some Wilkinson Sword blades from Amazon and got the best shaves of my life! His '20's OLD type is still my favorite. :happy088:

Keithmax, Flyingbald, RyX and 2 others like this.
  13. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

And since throwaway razors have proper razor length handles instead of those yard rake handles on the carts, I never experienced "short handle syndrome". And I feel no need to run out and buy a foot long handle for my vintage razors! I have a couple of modern razor handles that I've cut down to less than 3 inches. :D

Keithmax, RyX, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

5 days short of Four years. My exeperience mirrors that of @DaltonGang , except I ended up on the darkest of the dark side....Shavettes.

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 4 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

All razors are the same.

DaltonGang likes this.
  16. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I like short handles as well. I hold the razor at the bottom of the handle with 2 fingers, so anything longer than 80 mm just feels a little awkward to me.

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You are right about that. "The Darkest Side of Shaving", for shavettes. I tried a shavette, a few times, and it wasn't pretty. Maybe If the shavette was of the stiffer variety, I wouldn't have sliced myself. Well, that's my excuse anyway.

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Eight years for me. No carts, no canned lather.

MR41, Keithmax, RyX and 3 others like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I returned to DE shaving in June of 2011 when I bought a Parker razor, some Proraso Green, a tube of Musgo Real, and a Tweezerman brush.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sometime in 2012, I discovered vintage razors.
    I started my shaving blog in September of 2012.

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 4 others like this.
  20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I received my first DE on Christmas day 2015. I was using shave soaps with a brush for over a year prior to getting that razor, but was still using a Mach 3. I used that DE on 12-25-15 and haven't used a cartridge since. DE razors morphed to injectors and SE razors and I've been happily stuck in the injector and SE world since. Don't think I've used a DE in over two years. Not against them but enjoy the SE shaves better.

wristwatchb, RyX, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.