UK Knife delivery ban

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by SevenEighth, May 22, 2018.

1. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Keithmax, Karl G and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I've recently had a package returned to me that contained DE blades because customs said they were "knives" I'd imagine straights would be looked upon the same way.

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  3. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

It appears through the link that the UK really does not like knives. There is a ban on carrying knives? I idi not see what knives are banned. That would be tough around here because 90% of guys carry knives always and maybe 30% of women carry knives also. Hopefully the law is actually specific about which knivesand not completely general. Sounds like they are being super tough on wet shaving. I hope they get more specific soon.

4. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

It was rather unique the other day when watching the royal wedding and all the guards had guns with bayonettes and swords.
    Those looked awesome.
    (Apparently they didn't get the memo about carrying weapons)

I know that if I had one I wouldn't want it befouled with some hoodlum's blood. It would take forever to get the blade cleaned and the edge sorted once again.

5. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Any luck yet with the delivery ban?

6. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

The ban is only a proposal right now, but it will probably work like this:
    The knives get delivered to your local post office. You go to the post office, show proof that you're 18 or older and they give you the parcel with the knives. There seems to be a problem with teenagers carrying knives and stabbing each other for no good reason. That's of course illegal. They can't buy dangerous knives in a shop already but can order them online.

7. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Wow,
    That's going to be a pain in the backside for those with honing services and sales.

At least they will be able to keep in business. But it definitely will put a damper on things.

Here in America they are whining about the internet/mail order businesses and the volume of cardboard boxes it has begun to generate. Most cardboard boxes were recycled...now with them going to private residence they aren't being recycled at all. And corrugated has to have a particular percentage of recycled content by law. It's getting more expensive for boxes because the used boxes are getting scarce.

I expect our government is going to do something about it soon.

Keithmax likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

'elf and safety, wot.

9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Which makes Amazon and its standard-sized boxes all the more hilarious. For those of you who have never experienced it, imagine ordering a tuck of blades and receiving it in a shoebox filled with plastic bags full of air.

RyX, Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

What will they do if folks start attacking people with their hands? Cut everyone's hands off?

How many injured in auto accidents versus knives? Ban all cars and trucks!!!!

RyX likes this.
  11. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

We've been getting big boxes with little things in them lately, crazy stuff man.

JohnDB likes this.
  12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Off topic but...
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/holiday-shopping-cardboard-boxes-recycle-centers-struggle-to-keep-up/
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...rdboard-box/s2euhXKXpRhDWoOzmu2CNO/story.html

Plenty of recycling going on. Demand is growing so supply lags. Search for less wasteful packaging is the result.

RyX likes this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Take a look where those bags filled with air are made. Manufactured in China and then shipped to North America and Europe on cargo ships burning diesel fuel all so we can punch holes in them and throw them away. Go figure!

Keithmax likes this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My town gladly takes paper and cardboard for recycling. They actually make money on the recycling efforts.

RyX likes this.
  15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Bags of Chinese factory air, can't be good. :sick007:

RyX, Keithmax and brit like this.
  16. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Hmmmm! Sound like some people in power want more paid and stronger protection than the common man can either afford or is allowed.

Keithmax likes this.
  17. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@SevenEighth I'm sure there a straight razor blacksmith maker in the UK

SevenEighth likes this.
  18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I looked into this a while back. They do that to manage the shipping better with having full pallets on trucks, which are more stable than partially full pallets. So a tuck of blades goes in a box with air bubbles to fill a pallet based on their overall shipping needs for the country. Supposedly, it actually saves money for Amazon. Its impressive logistics, and mind numbingly stupid at the same time.
    These show up to warehouses as rolls of plastic film, and get inflated and have one end sealed in the warehouse. So Chinese plastic, but not Chinese air.

19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Keithmax likes this.