Hello from CT.

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Blackbeard60, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Blackbeard60

Blackbeard60 New Member

Hi All,
    When I was 15, I bought a straight razor and strop at Hoffritz in Grand Central Station. That was 1973 and I couldn't find anyone to teach me how to use it. Local barber declined.
    In 1976, at college, I bought a DE razor, shave soap, and a brush and cut my face to shreds.
    In 2017 I found my college brush and DE razor in the attic and watched some YouTubes on wet shaving and went to work & enjoyed it.
    I now use straight razors and am learning to hone them. I have too many soaps but love shaving. It only took 45 years!
    The internet has made it all possible or at least a lot easier. Forums like this are the best. Happy to share what little I know. Wish I started a lot sooner and wish I could find that 45 year old razor and strop from Hoffritz!
    -Blackbeard (More graybeard at this point.)

RyX, AGHisBBS, Enrico and 10 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to TSD, @Blackbeard60 , from North Cackalacky. It's a great place to hang out.
    zwelcome2b.jpg

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome to the den!

5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! I'm sure we all wish we had discovered wet shaving sooner, we all could have been enjoying our shaves since day 1.

This is a great group of people here at TSD, and I'm sure you will fit right in.:signs046:

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Great story. Welcome aboard, from Texas.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Greets from Baton Rouge!!

8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

9. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den!
    :signs046:

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Blackbeard60

I'm glad you found us and hope you enjoy it here. I totally agree with you about this site and the internet, both have been fantastic IMO to exposing more people to this wonderful old/new tradition. Don't worry about time lost just enjoy what you've found and try to keep your ad's under control:). I'm older than you and spent most of my shaving life using carts that tore my face up almost everytime I had to shave with one, which was regularly because of my career. Now I could never shave again and it would be ok, but I enjoy regular, smooth, irritation free shaves whenever I like, which is at least 3 times a week. :happy088:

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs046: @Blackbeard60 from western NY, glad you decided to join us at TSD.

19. deniro444

deniro444 Member

Welcome from Chicago. :)

20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Welcome from Florida. TSD is a fantastic community, and a great place to jump in! I'm learning straights myself, and have just dipping my toe into the world of honing. There are some "dark side" vets here who can wield a SR with the best of 'em.