Razorock Mamba Vs. Game Changer

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DesertTime, Jun 21, 2018.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

After not purchasing a new Razor for over eight years, this past year I've tried some of the newer stuff. I recently purchased and tried my first fixed-head DE razor in over 10 years (the others were adjustables and SE razors).

I bought a Razorock Mamba over a Feather AS-D2 after reading some comments by @Linuxguile. I saved a ton of money and got a very fine razor.

For those of you who have both the Mamba and The Game Changer, how would you compare the two? I understand the latter is more aggressive, but is it crazy aggressive? On my adjustables, I stay toward the low end (except the Fatboy, where I fluctuate between 5-6). My razor of choice, over anything, is my Colonial SS General.

brit, Flyingbald and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The Game changer has more blade feel. But it isn't crazy aggressive, no more aggressive then your FB on 6. I don't know if you are talking about my most recent comments on the GC but at the beginning of this month I used the GC for two weeks straight. I found it to be rather picky about the angle and I had a few shaves with missed spots because of this. Then just for comparison sake I shaved with the Mamba. I immediately noticed that the Mama was smoother and felt better on the skin, the angle was more intuitive, and surprisingly was just as efficient as the GC. If you already own a Mamba and you like the way that it shaves I would probably suggest skipping on the GC.

BamaT, Ron R, brit and 5 others like this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Thank you for simplifying the comparison. I've been seeing all different reviews of these two razors and you've helped clear up some of the confusion:thanks:...

Linuxguile and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

My experiences with both razors mirrors these.

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

Game changer is a better shave in my opinion. Just as smooth but not efficient. GC is one of my best razors. Had both mamba and GC. Gave the Mamba away as a gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertTime likes this.
  6. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

Type o. Smoother and more efficient. The Game Changer wins. I found the Mamba to be very similar to the feather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile and DesertTime like this.
  7. Latherin’ Luddite

Well a month later, I felt the need to bump this thread. I’ve been using both the Mamba and GC back to back this month, and have changed my opinion.

I hadn’t realized that I had used Kai and Feather blades in my Mamba, while my new GC received an Astra. With both razors loaded with Astras, I get better performance from the GC. The best proof of this comes after a two pass shave with the Mamba which pretty well removes all it can, but leaves a less than perfect shave. A third pass with the GC completely cleans things up, and with less work than a third pass from the Mamba could provide.

In short, the Mamba has performed very well with Kai and Feather blades, but doesn’t impress me with Astras..............especially as I’ve broadened my horizons with more aggressive razors. But without even trying a Kai or Feather yet, the GC is providing a good shave with minimal effort or discomfort. With an Astra it’s still not a one pass wonder like my 27C, but it might come closer with a Kai.

Flyingbald and DesertTime like this.
  8. DesertTime

What is a 27C? Is that a Merkur? I googled and could not find it.

9. Latherin’ Luddite

Yes, a Merkur Slant. The handle is identical to the 34C, but the head is very different.

DesertTime and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I believe that is actually a 37C.

11. Latherin’ Luddite

And I believe you’re 100% correct!
    Thanks for bailing me out. :)

I have the 37C and 39C..........and have no idea what a 27C would look like!

BamaT and DesertTime like this.
  12. DesertTime

Obviously, 10 fewer C's than a 37c.

BamaT and Latherin’ Luddite like this.
  13. Latherin’ Luddite

Sounds like a travel size! :D

DesertTime likes this.
  14. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

The GC I would rate it a notch or 2 above the Mamba, somewhere around Gillette Adjustable on 5-6 ish.... I'm hoping the Mamba also gets more aggressive plate like the GC.

RaZorBurn123 and BigMark83 like this.
  15. Latherin’ Luddite

It's only been a couple weeks, so technically this is a "bump," not another hi jack. ;)

I retired the Astra blade from my Game Changer and installed a fresh new KAI. I was expecting expecting great things with this combination, but quickly confirmed that experience through doing always trumps an educated guess. The combination was a total flop. There was a lot of blade feel and chatter, and nothing close to a smooth shave that the humble, economical Astra provided. Actually the retired Astra felt better than the new KAI.

The next day I moved the KAI to my over-achieving 37C. That was another flop. Rather than providing an effortless one pass shave, it provided a rough shave that I quit before completing the whole first pass. I immediately moved the blade to my Mamba, and SHAZAM! I was back in the game! At this point, I think my case of KAI blades will only be used in my Mamba, and likely last two lifetimes.

Right now it appears a Mamba loaded with a KAI is about dead even with a GC with an Astra blade. I need to test them side by side to learn more. I've also got Feathers and Israeli Personas to try. I already knew that blade/razor combinations were important, but the slightly oversized KAI really drives this point home apparently.

DesertTime and Linuxguile like this.
  16. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have the Mamba and I think it is pretty much perfect when it comes to "aggressiveness". This razor is just a bit picky with the angle as it got neutral blade exposure, but will deliver very, very close shaves. I achieve near BBS each shave. I use Feather blades in all my razors.

DesertTime likes this.
  17. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I can't get a close shave with the mamba. I'm either going to retry it or get rid of it.

DesertTime likes this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The GC is my favorite razor, it over took my very expensive Weber PH.
    As a face and head shaver it's truly the only DE/SE razor that provides me with excellent results.
    The Mamba has it's place to, if I was a daily shaver the Mamba would be that razor I would reach for.
    With everything in mind but machined, stainless steel razors can be had for under $100. Both. You can't beat that.

19. TomAllyn

TomAllyn Active Member

Forgive me for Resurrecting this thread. I'm looking for another Machined Razor that isn't obscenely expensive for me. My two favorite Razors are a 47-51 Aristocrat and a Rockwell 6c with #4 plate.

Do any of you all know how either of these compares to the two above?

20. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I have the Rockwell 6S and have bunch of Aristocrats. I would say the GC compares to the Aristocrats but less aggressive than Rockwell #4, the Mamba is more like Rockwell between #1 and #2 plate, the GC is more like between Rockwell #2 and #3 plate.

They both shave great, the GC has no issues reaching BBS while the Mamba is more DFS type of razor

EDIT: Last night after I made my post I had my third shave in a row with the Mamba, looks like I dialed in the technique a tad bit better and achieved BBS 3 passes no need for buffing.... Now I think I'm starting to regret asking for more aggressive plates, I think Joe might start to double question the validity of our opinions lol.

It seems that I always forget that I need 2-3 days in a row shaving with a razor that's mild to dial in the technique. Keep in mind I was not using Feather blades, but instead I was using Lord Platinum and Blue Bird Platinum which are not super sharp like the Feathers but they are in the vicinity of sharpness like the Personna Reds, Gillette Greens etc

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018