straights in the wild

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by rbilly, Jun 22, 2018.

1. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Im not a straight razor user myself, i have shaved with one and can if I had to but I enjoy DEs much more, but with that said i noticed something. Its much harder for you guys finding used Straight Razors, once a month i take my mom to a hand full of antique stores, while she is looking at stuff that interest her I usually look for DE razors, I rarely buy anything as im not a collecter, only what i will use, but it gives me something to look for, i have bought a few DEs and seen a lot, but rarely see any over 20 bucks. But straights, i see a ton of, most are priced around 100 bucks, old moldy case, rusty blades, broken blades, ect. Is there a big market for these or is it hopefull thinking on the sellers part? Most never move from there cabinets, the cheapest used blade i have seen is 60. In the world of antiques you always find sellers who think there items are big ticket items, i saw a g1 injector razor for 90 bucks the other day, but its rare, but with straights they are all priced super high. I was always told most of the antique store finds are show pieces or warped or chipped beyond use.

2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I'm my area I see lots and lots of straights but very little double edge, I do see a handful of single edge but that's not my cup of tea.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

3. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I see more straights then DEs, but they all want 80 to 150 for them.

4. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Also in my area all of the shops say there is a guy who hits up every store buying DEs, they say he buys them all even over priced ones, i have no clue what he is doing with so many, i alway look at sellers location on ebay razors and never see any sellers in my area. Every shop from Lodi to ceres, which is about 2 hours apart.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've notice, over the last couple of years, in the Houston area, the Antique Stores are waaaayyyyy overpriced, with shaving gear. Rarely will I find a Straight Razor at a decent price. Usually they are around $39-$90, for worn out Junk!!! They are pricing themselves out of business. EBay is where it's at, for me. I view eBay as the next phase for flea markets.

6. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I have heard similar in this area but they mentioned the guy had an eBay or etsy shop.

7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I promise I didn't pay anywhere near that for any of these.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    DaltonGang likes this.
  8. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

$100 for old, rusty or broken is pricy for a straight. Being you keep seeing them in dealers booths is testimony that they're not selling. Very wishfully thinking. I have 100's of Straights, all found in the wild. Many in like new or very low mileage for prices equivalent to a burrito and a beer. I have discovered, strangely, that east of the Mississippi River, straight razors are more plentiful and affordable and west of the river they are much more expensive for a lower quality.

lindyhopper66 and Stu929 like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've noticed that too. NE seems to be the sweet spot. Texas usually STINKS. Several years ago, I was finding great deals around Houston, for DE razors. The more popular Vintage Shaving becomes, the harder decent finds in the Wild are.

10. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Ebay is a strong purchasing vehicle from the comfort of your home. I have never bought a razor from eBay but I know many that have. There may be a swing back to fleamarket's or private cash sales due to the recent Supreme Court ruling on Internet sales tax. I think many that sell on eBay, once they have to collect and reimburse there states sales tax, will be prohibitive. Will have to start treating it like a business with profit and loss and declaring the income. Time will tell

11. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

@Stu929 and I are not far from each other. I’m seeing the same thing as him. Some dealers around here ask for a lot for their straights. One shop I go to a lot, has one person has several razors, that I know has been sitting in there for over a year, as he’s way over priced. I probably see 3 SE razors for every DE razor. That’s probably why I started with SE’s when I started wet shaving.
    @Stu929 and I are most likely hitting some of the same shops:D

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Wishful thinking on the seller's part. Very wishful and I've seen it here too, but I've also seen some decent prices now and then, but I've gotten better bargains on eBay.

Cheers, Steve

13. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

More than likely. Bout all I see generally is Gems but straights woyld definitly be a split second. Maybe see 1 DE every couple trips (make that one that's remotely worth buying)

14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Most antique shops are overpriced on their shave gear. You might find the occasional bargain, but eBay might be the better option with the variety and every now and then you’ll get lucky.