Best earthy/dirt(y) shave soap scent

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by MR41, Jul 10, 2018.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

What is everyone’s recommendations for shave soaps that are earthy even dirt or tree smelling, but not perfumey & not sweet? ( ex. I found Stirling’s frozen tundra to be too sweet, but lea’s sandlewood shave cream is kinda nice?)

Thanks in advance!

MacDaDad and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  2. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

PAA dirt

Weasel640 and MR41 like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Cyril R Salter French Vetiver, i call it funky. Definitely an acquired aroma.
    Proraso red is a good earthy smell.

brit and MR41 like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Stifling, Port au Prince
    Cold River Soap Works, Morning Ghost

Both are mainly vetiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MR41 likes this.
  5. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Some Irish Guys Shave Soap - Irish Peat

MR41 likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll accept your typo (Stifling).

7. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Mike's natural vetiver
    Tabula rasa vetiver and tangerine

MR41 likes this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

B&M Petrichor is supposed to smell like earthy wet grass from what I've read. Others may chime in on their experiences.

MR41 likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hard work is the best way to that earth scent.....work a garden..mow the grass...hard work young man..... Just saying. :D

If a sandalwood is good try the Proraso Red. I can send you a sample if you need.

MR41 likes this.
  10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer. I’ve tried Proraso red and liked it... I’m looking for something a little different, I just don’t know what.

12. St. James of London black pepper and lime cream smelled just like dirt to me.

Tried it once. That was enough!

MR41 likes this.
  13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'll throw one out that is a little different: Chiseled Face Sherlock.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

RazoRock Son of Zeus or Fine L'Orange Noir or Stirling Arkadia, all inspired by Terre d'Hermes. Earthy with a hint of orange and cedar.

wristwatchb, Tiredricefarmer and MR41 like this.
  15. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

D R Harris Windsor. Also a Terre d'Hermes style scent

I have Fine L'Orange Noir aftershave and it's my favourite.

wristwatchb, brit, MR41 and 1 other person like this.
  16. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Stirling Glastonbury?

“Based on a customer request and inspired by a music festival in the UK, this is a spa-like blend of Patchouli, Lavender, Oakmoss, Lichen, Frankincense, and Vetiver. A gloriously earthy scent...”

I tried a sample but it’s a bit too mucky for me.

MR41 and Linuxguile like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

18. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

If you like pine tar scents check out Ballenclaugh- Woodsman, it is a strong resin pine tar.

For vetiver scents:

Pannacreama Vetiver (old stuff) this soap smells like a old book store and is quite musty in a good way.

Fine vetiver- more of a clean grassy scent but has earthy note that is upfront and perhaps cloying.

Mike's Vetiver, smells similar to L&L Marshlands IMO. Earthy grassy goodness. Stirling Vetiver is similar if you can find some.

MT Strong & Scottish- this is a heavy peat moss scent, some say it smells like scotch but not sure about that. It is earthy, unique and certainly not for everyone (similar situation with Crill Salter Vetiver).

Ksblazer, Paul Turner and MR41 like this.
  19. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I own all three you mentioned (and want the real TDH someday too). It’s one of my very favorite scents. There is an earthy/musky base note, but it’s WAY beyond what the OP was asking for in a “dirt” scent IMO.

That’d be like casting Kate Beckinsale for the part of “very plain English peasant chick!”:eek:

Vetiver is the nastiest earthy scent I can think of. I love vegetation and fresh cut grass, but I’d take a shower even faster than normal if yard work left vetiver on me! Some people love it though, so there you are.

To the OP, you might take a look at Stirling Coniferous. It’s a mix of legit tree smell AND dirt. It’s not a daily user for me but I still enjoy it a lot.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Linuxguile and Enrico like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Kate who????

Meh!

I understand what your trying to say, I really had no clue of who she was. Better off using a classic beauty such as Sophia Loren as an example.

Back to earthy soaps ... has anyone tried Sapone Di Paolo Terroso or Bosco?