Doctors tell me to stop using safety razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NY John, Jul 12, 2018.

1. NY John

NY John New Member

Hi all! Not sure where to find help, so I thought I'd ask here. I've been happily using a safety razor for several years after finding this forum and making the switch. Unfortunately, I recently spent over a week in the hospital for a pulmonary embolism that of course came out of nowhere. All the doctors have told me I need to switch to an electric razor because of the blood thinner I'm now taking. I haven't used an electric razor since high school, so I wouldn't even know what shaver to buy for my tough beard. So my questions are, is anyone on blood thinners still using a safety razor, and, can anyone recommend a good electric shaver? Many thanks, and apologies if this is posted incorrectly in this forum.

Best,

John

Keithmax likes this.
  2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

John,

Sorry to hear about your embolism. How long do you expect to be on the blood thinners? Is growing a beard an option?

I don't know much about electric razors but maybe this website will help...

https://bestreviews.com/best-electric-razors

3. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry to hear about your condition. My parents both were on blood thinners (my Dad has since passed away). Because of my family history this is one thing I fear. I too would be interested to hear if any wet shavers are on blood thinners. I did experiment with electric razors some years ago and had good luck with a Braun razor. I've also heard that Panasonic makes good electric razors though never used one. Unfortunately, IMO the shaves were nowhere near as close or fun as wet shaving. The best of luck in your quest.

4. Before my rediscovery of DE shaving I used a three head Norelco for years. Similar to the 2100 model. Electrics work ok, it just takes longer to get a decent shave. Also shave while your face is dry, before a shower.

5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

@NY John -sorry man. I used a Braun and a Norelco in the past and as has been already stated- it takes longer and is dry. I found the Braun was my preference.

6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Wow, I can relate as my wife had a PE back in 2011. I can't help with the electric, but wish you luck and good health.

7. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

You know there are some electric shavers that can be used wet or dry. I've never used one myself but the Philips Norelco models might be worth checking out...

[​IMG]

These models start at around $60.

Terry Williams likes this.
  8. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I used a Norelco Triple Head Rechargeable (read: convenient) for many, many (40+) years before I began wet shaving. They are $100+US, but last quite awhile. The batteries will eventually lose their ability to hold a charge, but you can use them plugged into the wall. I've always thought the shave was pretty reasonable and pretty comfortable. The heads should to be resharpened every few years. But, there are easy ways to do this; which would include buying a new one. :) You can get last year's models at closeout stores (Ross, TJMaxx, Marshalls, etc.) for much less than this year's model, which isn't any better than last year's. Best of luck.

9. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

$60 would be very good for the razor the @kfbrady mentioned.

10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

How often do you nick yourself with your safety razor? If you use an extremely aggressive one that will bite at the drop of a hat, that might not be so good. If you use a mild one in the range similar to a Gillette Tech, I will bet you draw blood maybe once a month if that. And the nicks will be pretty small. Nothing you're likely to bleed out from even if you are on blood thinners. For that matter, that's what styptic pencils are for -- they're an artificial clotting agent basically. This may well be "abundance of caution" advice. Did they tell you to stop using kitchen knives too?

Having said that, before I switched to DEs, I used electrics for years. Braun at first, but my latest was (still is) a Phillips three-head rotary rechargeable that is a wet-dry razor. If used wet, it works best with really runny lather so it doesn't clog up the heads, but it does work not badly that way.

11. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I am an Emergency Room nurse - have to tell you, this is really overkill! Use a non-aggressive razor. If you do nick yourself, it may take a little more work with a styptic pencil to staunch the flow. Not a big deal! Accept that it may be a little more challenging, and work with it. Not a big deal...

wristwatchb, RyX, DesertTime and 3 others like this.
  12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

My guess is the risk of bleeding out from a shaving nick is pretty small. It's probably standard practice to recommend non-blade shaving (i..e. electric). You could discus it with your doctor, show them your razor and see if they change their mind. Chances are your doctor is unfamiliar with DE or SE razors. Having said all that, ultimately, I would follow what your doctor recommends.

I used an electric very breifly during periods when I traveled for work, mostly during the 80's. It was just easier than bringing my soap and brush around, and traveling with a wet brush. I didn't care for the shaves and would give myself a proper shave as soon as I returned home. Eventually, I just dealt with it and traveled with my kit.

I used a Braun shaver back then as it was reputed to provide the best shave. But I have nothing to compare it with. A decent electric likely costs over $100 (guessing). But so do many DE razors.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  13. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I am on blood thinners, a pretty large dose at that.

I use DE's, SE's and injectors with no problem. Once in a while I nick myself and it is a tiny bit more difficult to stop the bleeding but not impossible and nothing that will stop me from shaving the way I like. Just keep the styptic stick handy and know that it may take a little longer to stop the bleeding.

The best advice is to not nick/cut yourself. Take your time and enjoy the whole process. And don't give up

wristwatchb, RyX, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Take care of yourself, that's nothing to mess around with. Glad your OK!!!
    So
    I've been on blood thinners for about 2 years. I ask my doctor if he could lower the dose because I'm on the highest dose.
    Uh, well, no, I will stay on the high dose for the rest of my life.
    I've been using a DE razor for over 4 months now and had nicks and cuts, but I cut myself with sharp things anyway. Ya know it just happens, at work, at home and so on. It just taked longer than it used to, to stop bleeding, but not much longer.
    I use a stypic pencile and it does the job fine. I keep bandaids around more than before so I'll have one if I need it. I use sharp things at work all the time but eh.
    Although
    I was told that head trauma is the danger. I hit my head on my tractor, pretty good bump, that got me an immediat cat scan of my gord. Quickest turn around in the ER I ever had.
    All that being said.....
    I don't know what your issues are but I think I would talk to your doctors and take their advice.

Oh, my razor of choice is a Razorock 37 slant for now, tried a Phoenix open comb bakalite slant, nice razor, and my Muhle 41 aint bad either.
    Waiting on two other slants to try them out.
    Can't use electric razors, never could, they just burn up my face.
    Hey Good luck!!
    Stay well
    tp

wristwatchb, RyX, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  15. KimNB

KimNB Active Member

Sorry about the embolism. the anticoagulants are way better than the alternatives normally. I would suppose it depends on the blood thinner, the dose and how your body reacts to it. There are several different ones with Warfarin being the worst of them in every way. I have take Pradaxa for years and don't find it makes me bleedy at all but of course YMMV. I nick myself regularly as my attention wanders and alum or a styptic works just fine for me. Although even with my poor shaving skills I find it difficult to cut myself with a Tech, Mamba or DE86.

Approach this with caution until you know how your medication behaves. More importantly we are not your doctors, we don't know your full medical details and of course we are not doctors at all (well I for sure am not), so this is all just our experience not medical advice.

wristwatchb likes this.