Blackland Dart DE..... Coming Soon.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

This is in production. Made from SS billet right here in the USA. It will be offered as a complete razor, top cap, base plate and handle for under $100. And a 30 day take it for a ride policy identical to their Blackbird & Sabre razors. Blackland has stepped up to the plate and looks like in a big way...

0354073C-2270-4B82-8729-F944A408FD86.jpeg BB3329C4-E19A-4682-A6A2-CCFB74A2FB86.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Hembree, Rhody, brit and 12 others like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That looks very nice! Any photos of the handle?

Hembree likes this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Looks like SE from the angle

Hembree, Slipperyjoe and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. Str8on2

Soon. Shane @ Blackland hasn’t released any details or pics of it yet. But it’s around the corner... I will say that he stated the handle will be 92mm. Right in the middle of those who prefer short handles, and those that like a handle a bit longer. Good compromise...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Hembree and montieg like this.
  5. Str8on2

And here it is Gents.... Mighty Purdy.

F925CC44-5752-48A3-A526-4F10B217EC7B.jpeg

Hembree, brit, gorgo2 and 11 others like this.
  6. psychoman1128

psychoman1128 New Member

Oooooooh, that IS purdy.

Hembree likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Indeed.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Kind of reminds me of a modern take of the 1917 aristocrat. Also looks a little like a dart handle too, I can see where he got the name for it.

Boojum1 and DesertTime like this.
  9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

So how does that work for them? Two SS razors, both very nice looking, and over $100 difference in price? I could understand if the Dart was chromed zinc, like the Rockwell 6C, and they went after a different market segment. Must be more to it.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There's nothing intrinsically valuable about stainless steel. Cost in materials is under $5. Time, quantity and setup costs are the determining factors in cost to make.

This razor doesn't have the deep grooves that the Blackbird had, so I'm guessing it machines quicker. That drops the price some. I'm also guessing that he purchased a higher quantity as well. That would have the biggest impact on price.

If Razorock can sell a stainless three piece razor for about $50, what makes you think that Wolfman or Timeless couldn't do the same? Wolfman admits to using his profits to purchase more CNC machines...and they aren't cheap.

Razor emporium/Rex sells a stainless adjustable for $250. Wolfman sells a razor head for $250 and up. Do you really think it costs the same to make a simple razor head and a complex adjustable razor? Would you pay $250 for a socket wrench handle? Stainless steel, complex internal mechanisms...

Pricing this stuff isn't rocket science.

brit, Boojum1, Str8on2 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Str8on2

It’s official Gents. The Dart drops this Saturday....

Linuxguile and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the website says "Launching Saturday, 7/14 at 12pm noon ET" but just above that it says "SOLD OUT"

Hopefully there will further production runs.

13. Str8on2

Disregard that "sold out" notice. He does not do pre-sales and always has that posted for all his new product releases. Trust me, there will be plenty on Saturday @noon..... He hasn't sold not a one yet.

kfbrady likes this.
  14. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

To be honest Razorock is much better option, half the price and 316L while the Blackland razors are 304, not a huge deal but a step up for RR. The only thing Joe needs to do with his last 2 models the Mamba and GC is introduce a more aggressive plate for both.

Last night I saw someone tweeted on RR page regarding how much they enjoy their BBS and praising it, I was like let me put aside the Rex Ambassador and pull out my Ti BBS and wow no doubt better performer than the Rex a truly smooth shaver. Don't get me wrong the Rex performs great and just because it got outperformed by a razor that cost $80 less does not justify to sell the Rex. When looking at the Rex as an overall package adjustable, striking good looks, shaves very good ( even with the drag being noticeable a bit), high grade materials I know for sure this razor its a keeper specially since I paid for it $180 because it was in a group buy

luv2shave likes this.
  15. Ray Settanta

Ray Settanta Well-Known Member

Well, I have found that my shaving with a razor doesn't always agree with what other people have experienced. So, I will buy the Dart, use it, and then decide what place it will take, if any, in my rotation.

16. luv2shave

luv2shave Active Member

I got my Ti BBS for $99 from the last batch and have been getting some pretty awesome shaves for the past two weeks since I pulled it out after having kept it aside for the Rex Ambassador.

I'll prefer to wait for the RR GC 0.90 gap razor as it's going to be truly value for money like the current GC version which is also a pretty awesome shaver.

For the Dart I'll want to wait and watch BST to see how it fares rather than go by YouTube reviews - point to not many few GCs available on BST of forums, owners seem to keep their copy !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

17. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the Ti BBS. Do you have a link to the razor?

18. Ray Settanta

Ray Settanta Well-Known Member

If it is the one by Wolfman for the Los Angeles Shaving Soap Company, it is no longer being produced.

19. luv2shave

luv2shave Active Member

I was referring to the Titanium Baby smooth razor by Razorock, which incidentally is also discontinued now.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

DesertTime likes this.
  20. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

The Titanium version is no longer in production, I got mine while it was $99 and also the titanium handle was glass blasted to match the head finish, here is the link https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-all-titanium-baby-smooth-de-safety-razor

The only BBS version now available is in aluminum anodized in black but much cheaper than the titanium version and looks like is out of stock but they will probably have them available soon https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-baby-smooth-double-edge-safety-razor

DesertTime likes this.