What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I have been enjoying the Suehiro Deluxe 6k, so when the opportunity to get the matching 1k cheap came, I took it.
    Pulled out a nice vintage John Williams “Damascus Sheffield Steel”... cool razor and it is Williams Wednesday. :)
    The blade was pretty nice to start, with only minor chips at the edge, but the bevel set went surprisingly fast. One blade does not tell the story, but the Williams seemed to like the stone. Then I jumped straight to the 6k and that went well. Since that jump worked, I figured go straight to the Naniwa 12k.
    Fast session, the progression worked for this razor, and the shave was smooth.
    48D85BBC-347E-4313-8EF6-BA21896C5F32.jpeg
    Happy honing!
    Tom

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Touch up on my GD 66 from Espisito on my Surgical Black Ark. Nice shaver, may need to go down a stone to give it a crisper edge.

Arnout, mrchick, Paul76 and 4 others like this.
  3. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Honed a gold dollar razor on the welsh 12k, then finished on the welsh 15k. Then moved to the pasted strop. Razor felt pretty good on the skin, and gave a great shave. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1234.jpg

Simmons Hardware 'Hornet' an insanely thinly ground 6/8 razor that makes a Filly look chunky. The stone is my new 'ink pattern' marbled asagi that's shaping up to be a real winner. The dark areas on the blade are just reflections.

Cheers, Steve

5. TestDepth

Some honing “therapy” the past day...
    Continued learning the Suehiro Deluxe 1 & 6k with a Sheffield and German blade. Fun, but no pictures. Did try going 12k and then a few laps of water only on the Vintage Coticule afterwards. See how that goes. :)
    My fun really came with these wedge blades. I got a Heljestrand SE wedge to decent shape a few months back, but it was still lacking. So tried this new set up with both Henckels Rapide wedges and it did well.
    This one went from the 6k to the Vintage Coticule.
    ED7FD1A9-3881-4C4F-84AD-CA2835279773.jpeg
    And this one went 12k then a small Suehiro Gokumyo 20k.
    0892D5F2-F541-4C1E-84F2-3A30771E028E.jpeg
    And I hate using that stropping tool with a hanging strop, so went with a paddle strop.
    0E27B7F8-322F-43A1-ABDC-8928EC9C646C.jpeg
    I enjoyed that much better.
    Tom

Keithmax, Paul76, Brickman301 and 6 others like this.
  6. Skippy2Smooth

Skippy2Smooth New Member

Hey everyone just sharing pics from abit of kasumi (haze) practice
    Thomas Rudd no2 special Sheffield steel ,
    Ozuku Asagi base stone with 3 point Asano nagura
    (My 1st post)
    FB_IMG_1531352117701.jpg 0703-01.jpg IMG_20180712_074400_017.jpg

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Paul76, Brickman301 and 8 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice closeups.
    Welcome to The Shave Den. Why don't you wander over to the Welcome section, introduce yourself, and tell us a little about your shaving history.

mrchick and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1237.jpg

The Cape 1000 of 58 shaves got a new edge, 8k Shapton Pro followed by a 12k Naniwa, kom and tomo on the hard ink pattern hone. Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Cheers, Steve

9. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

Filarmonica 14 DT.
    Started with a 15 micron and went through the sequence down to the 0.3 micron. Linen and leather to finish. Shave test was excellent.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1242.jpg

Puma Inox Frozensteel 6/8, modified for the Japanese market. This is usually the last test razor when I'm testing a stone, in this case the ink pattern or marbled asagi. It's a keeper for sure and makes a smoother edge than the N12k.

Cheers, Steve

dulac66, TestDepth, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

:drool:

Edison Carter and Steve56 like this.
  12. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Honing this 3/8 was a challenge, it wanted to roll up onto the edge. I knew I would get it though, because I had....

[​IMG]

Arnout, Steve56, TestDepth and 6 others like this.
  13. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Ern Grand Prix with worked spine. I used the 1k 4k 8k norton prefinished on the cnat and then finished with my small translucent arkie. It did take a very nice even bevel. Giving it a shave test shortly. And going to start dying the mop prices to replace the broken and missing pieces on the scales. 4826673C-6EA8-4060-BC16-57743A625580.jpeg F3D1B2BC-CB02-4834-9B8A-F1CCA3C92CD9.jpeg

Arnout, Brickman301, Steve56 and 7 others like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The two Jwest I bought to practice honing, the Scottish razor I purchased from Adam. Naniwa SS 2,5,8,12 then Shapton Glass 16k followed with CrOx and FeO3 strops. The Nichiri full hollow took a nice edge and I had wonderful shave. The two near wedges I think I need to redo them with tape this time.

IMG_5128.jpg

15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

20180727_103431.jpg
    Ontario Cutlery Company
    King 1k, Lapping film 5,3,1 micron. Treetopping arm hairs. Will give it a shave next week.

Arnout, M14Shooter, Deeter and 7 others like this.
  16. TestDepth

Real nice and fast session with this rescaled Clauss. Suehiro 1&6k followed by the Naniwa 12k. Truly as fast as it gets for me.
    9A172B74-4CD7-4594-BE5F-04646A2343E2.jpeg
    Happy honing!
    Tom

17. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Did a little honing this evening. Used all 3 Welsh slate stones, and 12 mic lapping film to set the bevel. The razor is a superior razor company’s “the prince’s own” razor. This razor had some issues, I had a heck of a time getting the heel of the razor shave ready. The work paid off, and I received a DFS, from the edge. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arnout, M14Shooter, Paul76 and 4 others like this.
  18. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Georgeous scales guys. If you ever want to get rid of them, PM me first!

TestDepth and Linuxguile like this.
  19. TestDepth

My bet is you will be creating scales shortly :happy088:

BaylorGator and Linuxguile like this.
  20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Some fun and some Honing Gymnastics

Here is a new vid I just did for on a chip repair on a Double Grind Koraat..

These are some fast accurate techniques that are more for Advanced honers.
    A beginner honer might find themselves in trouble here

Some pics of the Chip and the Razor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hone On Gents !!

Steve56, Paul76, Keithmax and 6 others like this.