Three Proraso creams and one soap reviewed

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Demidog, Jan 3, 2017.

?

Which line of Proraso is your favorite?

1. Green

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  2. Red

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. White

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Blue

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. I've never used Proraso

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'm actually much bigger than Mr T! (but much sweeter!)

Puma and Demidog like this.
  2. Grick

Grick Active Member

The green isn't all it's cracked up to be. Yes, you do get a great shave and the lubrication is good but the lather is a bit on the thin side and a league or two below the English classics such as Trumper's or Truefitt and Hill. The red one gives definitely a better lather and an even easier shave. And I love the woodsy scent. Definitely my favorite Proraso.

Yehuda D likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

i really like the proraso wood and spice cream ,splash and balm. very slick ..

Yehuda D likes this.
  4. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Well someone has resurrected this old thread. Coincidentally I used Proraso green from the tube today. I only use it a couple times a month, but I use the aftershave a little more often because I use it after using Proraso cream and also sometimes after using Xpec unscented. Proraso green cream is not the slickest and the white residue it leaves behind is a pain, but I always get amazingly smooth, close shaves with it. I have found that the cream doesn't like too much water. Get it right and the lather is nice and thick with fair slickness, but put too much water in the mix and it gets thin and looses what slickness it has. The green aftershave is what I really love. Even if I were to stop using the cream I would always keep a bottle of the AS around.

brit and Yehuda D like this.
  5. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I have never tried Trumper's or Truefitt but even well after a year, I have no incentive to move beyond Proraso. I still want to try those creams as some point, as well as TOBS but it's going to take me a long time to finish even one of these Proraso tubes so that I'll have an excuse to try another cream.

I like the green cream but it is definitely my least used of the four originals. My green tube is almost untouched. I get the best and most consistent shaves from blue. I also find the white cream to be extremely soothing. Red gives a thick lather and I use it more during the winter or just when I want the enjoy the sandalwood scent.

The new Proraso creams have been on my wish list since before they were even for sale. I'll try them eventually. I've heard nothing but positive things and some have even described them as luxury creams. I have the green and yellow colognes and the green one is excellent, especially for the spring and summer.

Oddly enough, I've never had much trouble with white residue. It does become noticeable on my sink after a few months but that's extremely rare as I clean my sink very thoroughly on a much more frequent basis. As for water, I tend to use a lot with Proraso creams. Whether it's soaps or creams, my personal experience is such that I've always felt that it was better to use too much water than to not use enough. I agree that the green aftershave is superb. The menthol content is really high for me but it's worth it for the scent.

Screwtape, brit and RyX like this.
  6. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

Nice reviews. Haven't tried proraso yet but green and red will be high on my priority list. ;);)

Yehuda D, Demidog and brit like this.