New Wet Shaver From Sacramento, CA!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by TomAllyn, Jun 12, 2018.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome. Your plan is a solid one! There is a group here called the 30 day crew. If you have not found it yet you should! The 30 day thing is their game.

BaylorGator, RyX and TomAllyn like this.
  2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:signs046:

TomAllyn likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @TomAllyn

I hope you enjoy it here. Your first post was certainly better than my first.:) Your shaves will only get better and better with time, technique and practice.

Paul Turner and TomAllyn like this.
  4. Yo Wan

Yo Wan Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome aboard.

TomAllyn likes this.
  5. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to TSD

TomAllyn likes this.
  6. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Im located just south of you in modesto, i usually make it up to the american during the salmon run, although the crowds have become to much. Lot of antique stores in your area to shop for some vintage gillettes.

TomAllyn likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

TomAllyn likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @TomAllyn to TSD! I'm late to the party, but glad you seem to be settling in. How's that Ming Shi working for you? I liked the looks of the Merkur Futur when I first saw a photo. Got my own Chinese knockoff when they became available. What setting are you using? I've settled around 4-1/2 and get great beard reduction with few user errors. That idea of sticking with a set up for a month will teach you the technique to master a tool. Should you decide to try another razor, join us in The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group (link in my signature below). Lots of experienced Vintage folks trying new razors, and New Shavers learning to use Vintage razors. We also have Shenanigans!

BaylorGator likes this.
  9. TomAllyn

TomAllyn Active Member

Sorry for not being back here in a while. I did the 30-day thing with the Ming Shi on setting one. I thought I was getting a good shave until I found a mint condition Aristocrat and used it for the first time. The Aristocrat had zero learning curve and I've achieved a BBS shave every time I have used it. I personally haven't used the Ming Shi since. I do however also have a Rockwell 6c which I have used twice both times with a successful BBS the first time took a little more effort than the Aristocrat and I used the #3 plate the second shave with it was this morning and I moved up to the #4 plate and even though it is a more aggressive plate the shave was smoother and a BBS was just as easy to achieve as with the Aristocrat. I may choose to do the 30 Rule again I'm unsure at this point.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Welcome from the other California (SoCal -- San Diego). You have a good handle on what you're doing. If the razor you're using is a clone of the Futur (a razor I own and used for years), a word of caution, it can get aggressive.

Enjoy!

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Welcome to TSD. I lived in Elk Grove for over thirty years and recently moved to Idaho.

Linuxguile likes this.
  12. TomAllyn

TomAllyn Active Member

I live in the old part of Elk Grove for 35 years myself I went to Elk Grove High School and so did both of my now adult Children.

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’m sure we know some of the same people.