Jeeves of Hudson Street's Blood on Steel

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by COMPNOR, Jul 16, 2018.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

For those unaware, a few of us from this wonderful community got together for a meetup here in St. Louis. Jeeves of Hudson Street was kind enough to make a limited edition scent for us called Blood on Steel. You can find some pictures of what it looks like over here: https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/tsd-meet-me-in-st-louis-2018-discussion-lounge.58850/page-12

As for what it smells like? Well I am the wrong person to ask. I only know if it is a scent I like or not. But this is what the scent profile includes - top notes of Pepper and Cinnamon; Middle notes of Labdanum, Incense, Tobacco Leaf, and Osmanthus; Base notes of Musk, Iso E Super, Vetiver, Cedar, Vanilla, Nagarmotha. I couldn't tell you if it is true or not, but I enjoy it.

Anyway, I finally got a chance to use it today. My first experience with Jeeves, and my first and currently only shave with this soap. But to me first impressions are important. Doesn't really matter what it deals with. I think it is especially true with soaps. So, I open up the lid and take a sniff, which is pleasant. On a strength scale of 1-10, I'd say it is no more than a 5. It doesn't hit you, and it is very subtle.

I ran my 24mm Maggard Synthetic under warm water for a bit then shook it out so it was probably half damp or so. I then began to swirl ontop of the soap, then moved to my Turkish copper bowl. The soap was easy to lather, and was nice and creamy. Brushed it on my face, and two passes with my Schick E3 and I was good to go. Post shave feel is excellent.

The real strength of this soap is the lasting effect of the scent., which is where it shines for me. Usually for me the scent disappears after I start shaving, and post shave i don't smell it at all. Not true with the Blood on Steel. Forty minutes later I am still catching whiffs of it, so that I probably need to find a good matching cologne.

Blood on Steel was a LE scent, so if you mixed out too bad suckas! Kidding. It could come back under a different name. If it does, I recommend picking it up. You won't be disappointed.

Jorvaljr, Paul76, Str8 Shaver and 8 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Nice review, Jacob! I look forward to trying the soap and the matching aftershave soon.

3. COMPNOR

Thanks. I could probably forgo the aftershave like I said but it is nice to have it as an option.

And over an hour later I'm still getting whiffs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Paul76, Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  4. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Jacob, I agree with your observations. This is one of the few soaps that have a lasting scent. This Jeeves soap is nice. As you know I picked up the "Blood On Steel" and the "Cabal". Both are great.

Paul76, wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you for a great review. I look forward to trying mine.

Paul76, wristwatchb and Paul Turner like this.
  6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I received my order yesterday and used the soap and aftershave last night. Great performance and an excellent scent.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm not sure I'd go for the "ingredients" of it, but I suppose when it is all swirled together it comes out nice.

Paul76, wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  8. mrchick

I used mine this morning. I’m a fan!

Paul76, COMPNOR, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I used mine on the trip, it’s a winner.

Paul76, mrchick, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I've only given it a sniff test but I really like it. Will shave with it tonight or tomorrow morning.

Paul76, mrchick and jluc like this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I haven't used the soap yet. I have used the aftershave, and my Bride loves the scent!

Paul76, RyX, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

guess you'd better kinda use the product, knowwhuddamean?

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Between the two of y'all, can you describe the scent?

Paul76, wristwatchb and mrchick like this.
  14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Here is the official list of notes:
    • Top Notes: Pepper, Cinnamon
    • Middle Notes: Labdanum, Incense, Tobacco Leaf, Osmanthus
    • Base Notes: Musk, Iso E Super, Vetiver, Cedar, Vanilla, Nagarmotha
    Here is my best shot of describing the scent:

The most dominant note to my nose is the tobacco leaf, it blends with the vanilla and the musk to create a sweet almost chocolaty feel. I get a hint of a powdery note in the base as well as something seems a little floral like off the top, maybe the incense ? I don't really pick up any of the spices directly and I don't really know what that other stuff that I cant pronounce smells like, but it all blends together to make a sweet somewhat dark gourmand. This scent sort of reminds me of Night Music from Barrister and Mann, though not the same it has the same sort of sweet dark vibe. Absolutely fantastic! And of course it has the same off the charts performance as other Jeeves products!

15. mrchick

What Andrew said
    Good stuff!

16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Its good stuff. I have used mine twice, and enjoyed the scent. I would not have ordered it just based on the list of notes, but it came together to make something awesome. BTW, we had 40 sets made up with our label. It is available to order on Jeeves of Hudson Street's website. Its open to all, so if you want the LE label, you will want to order soon. He will release this soap under a different name at some point, but no timeframe yet.

17. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Andrew pretty much said it perfectly, I’ve used it a few times it has really impressed with how well it lathers with a pretty small amount, and the slickness of the lather. And as Jacob said the scent is not overpowering and does not disappear after the shave like most mild scent soaps can.

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Want the courtesy review or the real one?

Keithmax, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  19. COMPNOR

Pull no punches

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I really love the scent. Now for the but....

Jeeves soap doesn't like the extremely water in Henderson, Colorado, lather disappears quickly. Unfortunately, it will not make it in to my rotation due to a burning skin reaction one hour post shave, likely tobacco EO. Confession, I was sorely disappointed when I found out before the trip that it had tobacco EO, but bought one to be a good sport. As far as the soap base, it leaves much to be desired at that price point, seemed crude and not well homogenized at all. Thats actually something I've noticed about many small makers. Definitely not worth the price of admission for me.

(Sorry, not all reviews are awesome)

Paul76, Keithmax, mrchick and 5 others like this.