What was your first safety razor, and do you still use it?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

My first DE was a Muhle R89 purchased in 2013 and since sold. Have moved on to vintage Gillettes and Merkurs, as well as a Feather ASD2.

Keithmax, gorgo2, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Parker 80R

I still have it but as some have already mentioned, it doesn’t see much use because I have several in rotation.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

My first safety razor was a Merkur 34C, followed quickly by an EJ89L, which got me addicted to 3 piece razors. This was followed by a succession of other DE styles, Injectors, SE's and I even tried straights. I think I have a problem :happy097:

Keithmax, gorgo2, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

First safety razor is the Gillette slim 1962(H-1) bought it at a garage sale in the sticks of Northern Alberta and it was a good one, still use it with all my other 16+DE razors and 2 Schick razors that I have to get some good blades for. I'm a Gillette Fanboy I think, bought 7 this year alone. 20180723_203431_crop_499x430.jpg

brit, RyX, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  5. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

My first was a Derby from Sally Beauty Supply, followed very quickly by a Merkur 34c. I use the Derby on the rare occasion to remember from whence I came. The Merkur was PIF'd to a friend last year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, gorgo2, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My first safety razor was an Edwin Jagger DE89 that I got for Christmas in 2104. I still keep it in my shaving kit as a backup and sometimes use it if I'm in a major hurry. I keep it because it was a gift from my wife and I'm a sentimental fool

Keithmax, gorgo2, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Technically my first safety razor was a ‘58 SS that I no longer have. I only used it for a very short time. When I think of my first razor I think of a Gem OCMM which I used exclusively for over a year. I still pull it out with a boar brush and a stick of Arko when I’m feeling nostalgic about my beginnings.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Boojum1, RyX, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My first was a 65 Gillette Slim that I used for a couple years, but was never really thrilled with it's shave, so ended up selling it.

9. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

It's good to know that wet shaving is still happening in the 22nd century. :drool:

RyX, gorgo2, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Not my first safety razor but my first really nice expensive safety razor (Probably cost Dad $4.00 or so but as another hand-me-down I paid nothing).

My Dad's "Made it back from the War so buy something nice razor":
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brit, RyX, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

When I started shaving at around 13 there were 2 DEs in the house. A short handle Super adjustable and a lady Gillette. I have used both of them over the years and still have them. Not sure which I used first. The Lady Gillette does not get much use but the SA is used fairly often on Fridays.

RyX, Keithmax, Primotenore and 7 others like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Edwin Jagger DE89, I still have it but do not use it. It's a fantastic razor and looking back could be my daily shaver now.

Keithmax, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  13. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

Three piece Chinese Remei, best $2 I ever spent. I have around 100 razors and still use this one sometimes.

14. mrchick

Perhaps you missed the previous picture of my shave den[​IMG]

brit, RyX, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  15. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

A Gillette Black Tip from the flea market about 25 years ago for $1. Used it for a few years until I started collecting and using other vintage Gillette's. Still have it but have not used in a few years.

16. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

@mrchick, I thought you might drive one of these...

[​IMG]

RyX, Keithmax, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Deceptively roomy!

RyX, Keithmax, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

MicroTouch One. Mild shaver, that I PIF'ed, not long after I started using a Gillette Fatboy.

RyX, Keithmax, Primotenore and 4 others like this.
  19. mrchick

Only in even centuries. I like to use both.

20. mrchick

Because of this thread, I pulled out my EJ DE89 with a Weber Bulldog handle and had a wonderful shave. If it wasn’t for finding this lovely group, I might have actually saved money wet shaving[​IMG]

brit, RyX, FaceScraper and 9 others like this.