What was your workout today?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by ram57, Aug 17, 2015.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

The advantage either of youth or just better strength than me.

I brought my bodyweight down over a couple of years from 92.5 Kgs to 82-3Kgs. I wasn't carrying fat at the heavier weight but just could not sustain it anymore and had joint issues. The good side is joints (knees and ankles) improved lots. The hard bit is adjusting to less overall strength so deadlifting 182.5 (400 lbs) is pretty much it for me now....I still dream of the days when I was way past that.

With one or two other old injuries (shoulder and back) I've set myself a target this years of 182.5 for squat and deadlift, 137.5 for the flat bench and 100Kg for shoulders plus 20 dead-hang pullups as sensible strength targets. Cardio comes from cycling. If I can do these and set them in maintenance mode so to speak (building those singles to say 3x3 for the main lifts) I'll be happy with strength levels. They won't be particularly brilliant but then again they will do just fine for a bloke my age. I'm there with the deadlift, the others are coming along though shoulders are quite a way off.

It always motivates me seeing other guys killing it so keep on posting mate.

2. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I annihilated my back doing 1 arm t-bar rows about 10 years ago and deadlifts have been a no go for me since. I had my deadlift around the 450 pound mark when I got hurt. I adopted weighted pull ups as my main back builder and as a result, my back has actually improved. And I haven't been hurt since. Just weighed in at 196 pounds, but that's after a protein shake and 16 ounces of water !!!

KenH likes this.
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

We break and we come back :)

Sounds like you've a good approach.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. Christopher Powell

CHEST & TRICEPS

Flat DB Press...100/6 and 100/4
    Weighted Dips...55/10 and 55/9
    Pectoral Fly...190/10 and 190/8
    Standing Triceps Press...65/15 and 75/10

Good workout today. Got 6 reps with the 100 pounders today with full ROM, so that's progress. I used my new CAP curl bar for standing triceps press. I had no idea what the weight should be, so I was safe and started with 65 pounds. 15 reps is way too many for my type of workout, but now I have a baseline by which to work. Gonna go right 80 pounds next week. My arms are still get used to this direct work. Chased this workout with 1 pint of 2% chocolate milk......TIME TO GROW !!!

KenH likes this.
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Beginning of a Smolov shock few weeks on the bench. See how I hold up. Day #1 fine but then it should be so all good

6. Christopher Powell

BACK & BICEPS

Weighted Pull Ups: 35/7 and 35/6
    1 Arm DB Rows: 130/8 and 130/8
    Body Weight Pull Ups: 10 and 9
    Curl Bar Bicep Curls: 95/8 and 95/6

Sick workout today. Felt really strong. The bicep curls are progressing nicely. Now it's time to flood my body with nutrients and get that recovery going. TIME TO GROW !!!

7. Christopher Powell

SHOULDERS & TRAPS

Standing Shoulder Press: 105/10...115/7...115/6
    1 Arm Side Laterals: 35/10...35/8
    Dumbbell Shrugs: 120/15...120/15

Good workout today. 10 reps is way too many on the shoulder press, so I'm bumping that up to 125 next week. I decided to do shrugs with dumbbells today instead of barbell (behind the back). I didn't like the dumbbells as much. Going back to the barbell next week. Just drank a post workout shake containing 40 grams of sugar, 30 grams of whey protein, and 5 grams of creatine. TIME TO GROW !!!

8. Christopher Powell

CHEST & TRICEPS

Flat DB Press: 100/6 and 100/4
    Weighted Dips: 60/9 and 60/8
    Pectoral Fly: 190/10 and 190/8
    Standing Triceps Press: 85/8 and 85/8

Very good workout yesterday. My arms have definitely gotten bigger these past 3 weeks with the direct work I'm giving them. I'm actually starting to enjoy training arms!

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Physical therapy and schlepping 3 loads of laundry down & back up the stairs.

10. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Went for a ride on the road bike. Did 21.5 miles here in hilly North Jersey. It took me 2 hours and 4 minutes. I won’t set any speed records at 10.4 mph but it was the first ride this season where I climbed the big hill in the park twice. I have a couple loops that I do that essentially circle and/or bisect is a 2,000 acre park. One is a simple 9 mike oval and the other is a 12.5 mile figure 8. So today I did one of each. Felt good. May try and do it again tomorrow.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  11. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Good for you. You lapped everyone on the couch twice! I’ve been cycling for the last year & it does wonders for your health, physical & mental.

MntnMan62 likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

open case ..1, 2 open beer 1,2 .bend arm 1,2.....aaahhhh. relax, repeat

13. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Was away for a long weekend and took it easy yesterday. Which means I did nothing. So today (Tuesday) I went for a road bike ride. 91 degrees and pretty humid. Did another 21.5 miles. Took me 2 hours and 8 minutes which still gave me an average speed of slightly over 10 mph.