Mongoose Alumigoose and RazoRock Black Hawk

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    @Redfisher lent me his Mongoose Alumigoose to try out. It is an outstanding razor. It weighs in at 50g and has an hexagonal handle. The geometry of the head makes it a marvel of engineering. I shaved with it for two weeks, and it delivered flawless results. I even got by with a few one pass shaves. Although cheaper than the original Mongoose, it is still way out of my price range. Then I discovered the RazoRock Black Hawk (RRBH) razor that uses the same type blades. At $33.49 including shipping, I decided to give it a try. It arrived yesterday, and I shaved with it today. Weighing in at 39g, it is 78% the mass of the Alumigoose (AG). It is well built, and I would say that it delivers an equal shave to the Alumigoose at a third of the price. So, I have taken some pictures to compare the two side by side.
    Edit: I used a new Feather Professional blade in each razor.

[​IMG]

The Alumigoose has a slightly longer handle that is 97.7mm to RRBH's 90.6mm. AG's handle is 12.7mm on the flats and 14.5mm on the vertices, while RRBH is 12mm wide on its handle. Both handles are easy to hold and do not slip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The AG has slots to locate the blade. It is very easy to load the blade. The RRBH uses two posts. It is just a tad harder to locate the blade on the two posts. It is not a real problem as once you get the blade on the posts, like the AG, the base plate easily completes the assembly. Both handles utilize the same threads and are thus interchangeable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I find that both razors are outstanding modern single edge razors. The RRBH is 20% lighter and only 1/3 as expensive as the AG. It is at a price point that most wet shavers can tolerate, and it delivers an equal shave in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. Shadow Shaver

Shadow Shaver Well-Known Member

Great review. On a scale of 1-10 what would you rate the aggressiveness of these razors? (10 being most aggressive) Would you recommend them for people with sensitive skin?

Edison Carter and Jayaruh like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Nice write up, Jim.

Edison Carter and Jayaruh like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

IMO, thrre is a COLOSSAL difference in aggression between the v1 and v2 Alumigoose razors. The v1 is an 7.5/8.5 on aggression, the v2 is a 3/4.

The Hawk is maybe a 5/6 on a good day.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The Alumigoose is a v.2 I believe. They are both about the same. They are not aggressive IMHO, but they are very efficient. That is why I believe they would be great for sensitive skin. It may be that I just have really great technique, but I don't see cutting myself with either razor. However, after one pass, I have to ask myself, "Do I really need another pass?" So my second pass is really just a clean up pass. I get great shaves with both.

6. GADback

GADback Well-Known Member

I have the Hawk and the ATT Calypso, which costs about as much as the Alumigoose (and also weighs a lot more than the Hawk). In addition, I have a Feather Artist Club. All three use the same blades and all three give excellent shaves. I'm inclined to think the common element (the Feather AC blade) is the real star of these systems. Schick Proline blades also work well, but I still prefer the Feather Professional.

Edison Carter likes this.
  7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Great write up! A lot of good information for someone considering an AC razor.

Edison Carter likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

This is one razor where the blade really can make the difference, the Feather Supers are extremely sharp, which I can't handle, the Feather Pros are much easier on my face.
    So aggressiveness will matter on blade choice.
    I have sensitive skin and have no issues with the milder blades.