Question if you have, or have had, a beard

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gorgo2, Jul 25, 2018.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Without going into detail about what I do for a living, the job I've had for years is often a bit easier if a man is not shaven so I'm now about a month into a full beard. So far so good, the itch stage has passed and now comes dealing with wild curly hairs as they begin to gain length. They'll straighten out eventually but for now they're a minor annoyance.

Most of the beard products out on the shelves strike me as overpriced simple ingredients where you're really paying for packaging (as is the way with many products) so today I bought a small tub of Blue Cross coconut oil cream at Dollar Tree. I've slathered it on a few times today and it's already making a difference. The stuff feels good and stays put but I reek of coconut. Doesn't bother me but others might be bugged by it. It smells much stronger than the coconut oil I keep in the kitchen but that stuff would won't work -- even a little would be way too oily and runny in this Florida heat.

Those of you bearded or ex-bearded, what inexpensive products have you found help tame and nourish whiskers? Thanks in advance.

Keithmax, Enrico, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Got ripped off buying a sandalwood beard comb for $10 at Walmart. It doesn't work too well, teeth are too wide. Then we were in the pet aisle recently and picked up a .98 cent plastic flea comb. The very fine teeth work WAY better at keeping beard neat and tidy (fleas not a problem for me at this time). If you have facial hair and need to keep it comb, I highly recommend one.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I got loaned to a multi agency task force to combat street level narcotic sales. I assumed the break from uniform allowed me to grow out my beard. It always itched me, then got so long I would eat it when I'd eat a sandwich. When it got dandruff, it had to go. The best thing for a beard to me was a razor. So i guess i can't help.

Keithmax, Karl G, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I keep mine trimmed enough to not worry about curly hairs and suchlike. The few times it's gotten longer, I've used maestro's beard butter, which is mostly water and coconut oil. If you keep your beard short, a few drops of beard oil do the trick.

With beard butter/balm/pomade, less is more. A smear of it on two fingers is plenty. Rub it vigorously in your hands to melt it, then stroke it through your beard. Wash your hands. Use a beard comb (or flea comb, whatever) to evenly distribute and style.

Edit: beard oil just keeps it healthy and gives it a nice shine and a little scent...and yes, I keep a full beard these days. Wife's preference, not mine. I shave my neack and cheeks to keep it neat and tidy.

5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I used Vaseline petroleum jelly and I also washed it with hair conditioner about once a week.

Keithmax, PLANofMAN and gorgo2 like this.
  6. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

When I had a beard I used Clubmans beard balm, in the summer, and coconut cooking oil the rest of the year. A little bit of either goes a long way.

The best way to get the hair to go the way you want it, is to keep combining it. When you think you’ve combed it enough, comb it again. Combing it will train the hair, and it will start laying where you want it. The longer it gets the better it behaves.
    When I had a full beard didn’t trim my mustache for over a year. I also didn’t trim the length at the chin area, for that amount of time either.
    I was full bearded for a few years, and my beard at its longest was down pass my chest.
    If you’re looking to let it get that long, you have to change your diet. With such a long beard and mustache, I couldn’t eat hot wings, BBQ ribs, or ice cream cones. Those foods, are some of my favorites, but they made to much of a mess to eat.

7. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have a beard and beard balm. It works well when it was a little lobg, around Christmas, but I usually keep it short. There doesn't seem to be a problem when it's short.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Honest Amish beard balm, I have the heavy duty. I also use Shea Moisture beard conditioner, and I wash my beard with Bulldog Beard Wash and Conditioner. If you plan on keeping a long beard use a balm and comb/brush it through.

gorgo2 and Keithmax like this.
  9. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I keep mine pretty close cropped, so I dont really need product but for a while I tried growing it out and put beard balm in it. The stuff I have is Clubman and it works well, although it does feel a bit waxy and stiff to me.

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I use whatever balm in have. ... beard care club (I won at a competition) but I always add some lanolin.

gorgo2, BigMark83 and Keithmax like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I had a beard for 10 years, I kept it short and trimmed while my neck was shaved. 16 years ago when I moved to Korea I shaved it off to fit in with the ‘work’ culture here. I have no desire to go back to the beard, I prefer my clean shaven face now.

gorgo2 and Brickman301 like this.
  12. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

I agree, I don’t see myself going full beard ever again. I was a wet shaver (single edge razors) before I grew a beard. I enjoyed shaving them, but I enjoy it much more now, since I started using straight razors.
    Shaving has become a hobby for me. For me, It’s a lot more fun shaving than it is maintaining a beard.

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

^that.

I've had a full beard or a goatee for the better part of the last 25 years and have never used any products other than shampoo or soap and hair conditioner (on occasion). But, I keep the whiskers short (#2 or 3 on the trimmer).

From what little I've researched, it seems to me that the beard products out there are largely overpriced hipster nonsense. Any products that you'd use in your hair, I would think, could also be used on your beard if you do need some styling help.

Screwtape and wristwatchb like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you like coconut oil, but not the smell, you can get deodorized coconut oil.

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. richgem

Aka refined coconut oil. ;)

Sara-s likes this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.jpg

Screwtape, richgem and gorgo2 like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Still going, except the lower neck. Getting enough length that it's starting to curl in places, gotta tame that before the Gabby Hayes look starts to set in.

BigMark83 and wristwatchb like this.
  18. richgem

Screwtape and wristwatchb like this.
  19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

A few years back I thought I'd try a beard for the winter months but only made it 9 days. I couldn't stand the itch so off it went. I do like how they look but I guess not for me.