Assured Safety Razor AND blades @ Dollar Tree for $1!!?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tazorac, Jul 5, 2018.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

I bought an Assured Safety Razor from Dollar Tree for 1 buck along with blades. I've had it for 2 weeks and haven't opened it. I'm honestly SCARED to even shave with it, but for a dollar I had to get it.

Before I break it out, has anybody used them? How did they shave?

[​IMG]

RyX and 9nein9 like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Looks like a Weishi suppose to be decent.

No clue on tha blades.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The end tabs on the blades are minutely barbed. Beware.

RyX likes this.
  4. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

I don't understand how a safety razor and blades can be only 1 dollar...the blades must be horrible.

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Slave labor, cheap materials, ...

BigD and Enrico like this.
  6. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I own one and use it on occasion. It's cheap. It FEELS cheap. That said, I've gotten some pretty great shaves with it. The blades aren't amazing, but I've used worse. I got an acceptable shave with them. With an Astra SP in the razor, I got really good shaves with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RyX and Sammy1 like this.
  7. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I have one (under a different label but the same) and was amazed at how well it shaved with the supplied blades. DFS with no problem. Now I use it with either Rainbow or Vikings Sword blades and it still works fine.

Is it cheap? Yup. How long will it last? Don't know but for $1.00 it's a bargain.

RyX likes this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Mine wasn’t the smoothest, but worked fine. It rusted after a half dozen or so shaves.

Didn’t try the blades.

RyX likes this.
  9. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

They shave fine, but far more aggressive the a weishi or superspeed. Blades arent that bad either, i got 3 decent shaves out of them. The razor does start to rust in a week or two.

RyX likes this.
  10. SharptoothC

Oddly enough, mine hasn't rusted at all. It's been going for months. After reading this last night, I broke mine out and used it with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Green with great results.

RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I think the consensus was that the older Pacific razor was built slightly better (i.e., better materials) than the Assured one.

As for aggression, I suspect that part of it may be the threading on the T-bar. On my Pacific (never tried an Assured), I got an aggressive shave until I really payed attention to the closing of the doors and tightening of the knob. I suspect I ended up working a small bit of excess plating out of the end of the screw thread.

RyX likes this.
  12. SharptoothC

In my opinion the Pacific was slightly better. It has sightly more heft and mine was aligned better than the Assured.

RyX likes this.
  13. Manatee Mike

Manatee Mike New Member

I picked up one of these at the local Dollar Tree and gave it a try. I put in an Astra SP (no way am I going to try those unmarked Chinese blades that come with it). Lathered up with MWF and had a reasonably good shave. Now what? I guess it will sit in a drawer forever. It was a fun experiment.

RyX and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have one from Dollar Tree, just had to try it out.
    The razor works fine but the blades that came with it would not cut my wiskers without pulling and tugging like a dull blade does. When I used a Dorco or a Derby blade it was an ok shave. IMO it shaves like the Van Der Hagen I have but much lighter. Comparing it to my Weishi or Merkur 23c it's slightly more aggressive, but only by a little.

tp

RyX likes this.
  15. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

If the blades are worse then Dorco then I know they suck. Dorco starts dragging when i move to the other side of my face.

16. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Still haven't shaved with it...still scared.

RyX and Terry like this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I bought 4, as giveaways. I havent used one, and have no desire to. I do know they are made with ferrous metals, because a magnet easily is attracted to them.

RyX likes this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I finally found one of these at a local dollar tree. Still in the package. I will break it out tomorrow and make a video with it....using the blade in the pack. Well I will try to use it. What is the worse that can happen? I might have to change blades

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  19. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

The blades werent that bad, if the razor didnt rust it would have been fine, the one i got had perfectly alligned doors though so it might be different experience to people who got faulty ones. I have used the blades in other razors and they shaved fine.

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Scared of what???
    Just do what I did, put a new feather or dorco blade in it then take it around the block.
    If it was made a bit studier it wouldn't be a bad razor, but then it wouldn't be a buck razor would it. :shaver

Robert1955 and RyX like this.