Chip removal

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Brickman301, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

ok guys, I picked this razor up today from an antique shop. The blade is badly chipped in a few places. Any pointers on how to remove these chips? Is it a lost cause, and did I just wasted $20?
    Normally I would just pass up a razor in this condition, but for some reason this one just spoke to me. It’s a 7/8” blade, with a very thick heavy wedge blade. The scales, are ok, no chips or cracks.
    Any help would be appreciated. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Keithmax, Enrico, RezDog and 3 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You could use a DMT, like @gssixgun , and do an angle grind, which can save some time in setting a bevel.
    Or, like I've done, many times, since i dont own a dmt, I use the lowest grit stone I own. I use a bread knife stroke, rocking it, like @gssixgun . I use the side of the stone, until the chips disappear. I then use the low grit stone to set a "pre-bevel". Then i change tape and properly set the bevel, with a 1k stone.

Keithmax, Brickman301 and gssixgun like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The razor you bought is obviously very damaged.

I have several straight razors that @gssixgun has fixed. I have full confidence that Glen can fix your razor too.

5. Brickman301

gssixgun likes this.
  6. Brickman301

Thank you, as well. You guys are so helpful, that’s what makes this place so great.

7. Brickman301

Thanks. Yeah, I’m not sure if I’m up to this challenge. I’ll definitely have to give it some thought. If I decide not to do it myself, I might have to contact @gssixgun do the work for me.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I shave myself, but I do not cut my own hair.

Brickman301 likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It really is an easy repair. The hard part is setting the new bevel, and thats just a little time consuming.

Brickman301 likes this.
  10. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

The heavy grinds take time but are fairly easy to restore.
    Keep us posted